Female Inquiry: Fitness & Menstration

Options
2 years ago I started working out and have since lost around 70lbs (60lbs of that being in the first 12-18 months). I started slowly, working out once a week, and then progressed to where I've been the past 6 months or so, working out pretty much every day, at a moderate to high intensity for 45-90 minutes. I do a variety of cardio, strength training, and yoga, as well as just being more active in general (walking/biking more places, etc). Also starting about 6 months ago, I am no longer trying to lose weight, and am now trying to maintain weight/size and gain muscle/toning.

Over the last 4 or so months I've noticed changes to my period that don't seem to be going away. I used to get my period every 28-30 days and it lasted 2-3 days, with a couple days of spotting after. There weren't many changes month to month. Now, I'm coming a week early one month, a week late the next month, and repeat. I've also started spotting more and more prior to my period actually starting, instead of just as the end of the cycle.

My general stats: female, 32 years old, 5'7", between 140-145 lbs generally.

I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen. I'm not sure what's age-related, exercise-related, etc...

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Dr. Stat.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yep. Go to the doctor.

To answer your question, no, I haven't had that happen. I'm 10 years older than you and as active as you.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    How old are you?

I've had similar issues, but there's a million things that can cause issues like that-most of them no big deal. It likely had nothing to do with your weight loss or fitness level. But spotting always warrants a trip to the Gyno. Good luck!
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Menstrual changes due to "increased exercise" or high levels of exercise is one of the most common causes or irregularity. Weight loss and gain also causes fluctuations because losing or gaining are stressful to your body (even good stress) and "stress" levels also cause fluctuation. Now that you're maintaining, your body may be just figuring out your cycles again. I'm 36 and my cycles definitely changed a bit after I hit 30. That could be a factor as well.

Are you using an IUD? Because if you are, that's surely the cause.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My cycles went to crap after 30 (which is common). Could be a number of things or just age. Best to talk to a gynecologist.
  • Shellybear70
    Shellybear70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to check with your doctor. These types of changes can be related to a variety of things so only your doctor can help you pinpoint the cause for sure.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating each day?
  • vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of similar issues. But its def my hormones. Id go see your doctor and at least do a blood panel. But I have been having these issues on and off since I was about 26 yrs old and now 29.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes8
    KaleidoscopeEyes8 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating each day?

I eat 1200–1800/day, depending on how much I work out. I am definitely not undereating.

Menstrual changes due to "increased exercise" or high levels of exercise is one of the most common causes or irregularity. Weight loss and gain also causes fluctuations because losing or gaining are stressful to your body (even good stress) and "stress" levels also cause fluctuation. Now that you're maintaining, your body may be just figuring out your cycles again. I'm 36 and my cycles definitely changed a bit after I hit 30. That could be a factor as well.

Are you using an IUD? Because if you are, that's surely the cause.

I am not on any kind of birth control.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yup, go to the doctor. It may not even be anything problematic.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Start with the Dr. but be prepared to hear that it may just be what it is. If you and your Dr. decide to try anything to 'fix' it have a real frank discussion regarding the side effects of each option.

I think I was about that age when mine went from every 3 month to monthly (28 days) then around 40 or so it decided it wanted to come every 21 days :'( Of course now at 48 it's still on its 21 day schedule but with level 8-10 cramps for 5 days. I decided to try the mini pill and so far so good, only about 27 days in. Life is grand being a woman ;)

Best wishes, I hope it's nothing serious.
  • ansmit4642014
    ansmit4642014 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It might not be exercised related but your hormones can change depending on your weight
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    It might not be exercised related but your hormones can change depending on your weight

I can attest to this! Lost about 30 pounds and my PMS got BAD!!! I think my body was still putting out hormones for 30 more pounds and it was too much for my new weight. It's leveled out now.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a significant amount yet, but did in the past and i never had an issue or change with 60 pound loss. You are a pretty good height though....is 145 a healthy weight for you? Sounds pretty healthy to me. I would go to the dr to check it out. You could be around the age where you might see some changes, but still pretty young for that. My sister has cysts (they don't do anything about hers) and has her period all over the map. Would be good to know if you have an issue.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes8
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I haven't lost a significant amount yet, but did in the past and i never had an issue or change with 60 pound loss. You are a pretty good height though....is 145 a healthy weight for you? Sounds pretty healthy to me. I would go to the dr to check it out. You could be around the age where you might see some changes, but still pretty young for that. My sister has cysts (they don't do anything about hers) and has her period all over the map. Would be good to know if you have an issue.

I'm pretty sure where I am is a good weight. I found a chart on fitnessmagazine.com that said with my small frame and taller height, a healthy weight is 122-131 lbs; however, considering I'm a size 4-6 as is, I don't think losing 10–20 lbs would be healthy for me at all, so they must not factor muscle into their weights. (And/or it's all bogus and they're giving bad advice. In general I find most things focused around weight to be bogus, like BMI, because they don't factor in muscle weight, water weight, etc...)
  • KaleidoscopeEyes8
    Options

I can attest to this! Lost about 30 pounds and my PMS got BAD!!! I think my body was still putting out hormones for 30 more pounds and it was too much for my new weight. It's leveled out now.

Interesting. I have PMDD, but it is definitely better in recent years; however, I'm also on better anti-anxiety/depression meds and the working out has helped considerably.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    First, as others have said, it's definitely doctor time.

The "healthy weight range" for a woman who is 5'7 is roughly 118-158.

If you're working out 45-90 minutes a day at a moderate or high intensity, you could probably be eating more than 1200-1800 total calories, especially if you're hoping to gain muscle.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I always think major changes in periods are a good reason to see a doctor. My problem ended up being rather serious (but treatable). I hope yours is nothing, but it doesn't hurt to check. :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Def see doctor, but don't panic. Changes in the body cause changes in the cycles. Doctor will be able to explain and make sure nothing serious is going on, which it's always necessary to be certain.