5ft 4in female - 207lbs and very unhappy!

Hi,

Thanks to anyone who reads the below, my first post on here is a bit of a rant!

I'm soon to be 24 years old, I weigh 207lbs and I'm miserable with myself. Since leaving school at 16, I've gradually gained weight to the point where I'm at now (and still slowly gaining!).

I have gastric issues which I fear may be down to my body not being able to cope with the extra weight. My knees and back constantly hurt now, I feel tired/sleepy all the time, have heart palpitations, bouts of insomnia, very irregular periods now and I have such a bad view of my own body, I can't look at myself without feeling repulsed and upset.

I've wanted to lose weight for a really long time now, but I can't stop eating! I get very irritable when I start a diet and think 'why shouldn't I be allowed?'. End up giving into cravings very fast and have instant regret after. I got down to 190lbs a few months ago and I'm now up to 207 which is actually more than where I started a few months ago (now my highest weight yet).

I'm scared if I can't curb my addiction to eating, I'll end up continuing to gain weight and at a size where I'll just not want to even go outside anymore.

I do work, a fairly physical job part time which I think is the only thing stopping me from spiraling further than I am.

Previous diets last no more than 2 weeks. I set goals to lose 2lbs a week and get put down when I don't achieve it (silly, I know. Aware that weight loss can vary, especially at the start!).

I feel overwhelmed at where to start, knowing I need to lose around 67+ lbs at this point feels a lot and almost impossible to me.

Anyway, I hope to join the losers club very soon and continue to a more positive way of life. Anyone with any advice would be much appreciated, as I just can't seem to fully motivate myself currently.

Thanks again for reading! Look forwards to joining the community!

Replies

• rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Hello. Our stats are similar 5'4" and starting weight at 190lbs. If you would like a listening ear or support through this journey you can friend me. Sometimes having someone to talk to can help :) Welcome to MFP
  • RichardM1047
    RichardM1047 Posts: 61 Member
    Hi,

Thanks to anyone who reads the below, my first post on here is a bit of a rant!

I'm soon to be 24 years old, I weigh 207lbs and I'm miserable with myself. Since leaving school at 16, I've gradually gained weight to the point where I'm at now (and still slowly gaining!).

I have gastric issues which I fear may be down to my body not being able to cope with the extra weight. My knees and back constantly hurt now, I feel tired/sleepy all the time, have heart palpitations, bouts of insomnia, very irregular periods now and I have such a bad view of my own body, I can't look at myself without feeling repulsed and upset.

I've wanted to lose weight for a really long time now, but I can't stop eating! I get very irritable when I start a diet and think 'why shouldn't I be allowed?'. End up giving into cravings very fast and have instant regret after. I got down to 190lbs a few months ago and I'm now up to 207 which is actually more than where I started a few months ago (now my highest weight yet).

I'm scared if I can't curb my addiction to eating, I'll end up continuing to gain weight and at a size where I'll just not want to even go outside anymore.

I do work, a fairly physical job part time which I think is the only thing stopping me from spiraling further than I am.

Previous diets last no more than 2 weeks. I set goals to lose 2lbs a week and get put down when I don't achieve it (silly, I know. Aware that weight loss can vary, especially at the start!).

I feel overwhelmed at where to start, knowing I need to lose around 67+ lbs at this point feels a lot and almost impossible to me.

Anyway, I hope to join the losers club very soon and continue to a more positive way of life. Anyone with any advice would be much appreciated, as I just can't seem to fully motivate myself currently.

Thanks again for reading! Look forwards to joining the community!

Hello and it's a good thing that you are here with us!
    My opinion would be helpful for you to make an appointment with your doctor, this way he/she can listen to your concerns about your health care. My new doctor ran test and made a suggested of a ten week program to trim off a half pound per week as way to educate me with my calories intake per day. Hopefully this message is helpful to you. Write me anytime if you should choose do so.
    Take care and good morning to you
  • Mummytofitmummy
    Mummytofitmummy Posts: 83 Member
    Hi!
    Want to add me? We are similar ages but the same height. Although my start weight is lower, we are on the same journey.

For me, I had kids but I had always eaten bad. The last few years I would stuff myself with unhealthy food. You know, I'll start my diet tomorrow, so just eat that entire packet or two of sharing bag chocolates, it'll be fine. But it wasn't.

I didn't recognise myself in the mirror. This comes from someone who was stick thin but unhealthy. My weight went up and up.

I don't know what kicked in but I just changed last week. It has been 8 days. And I've lost 2kg which I'm very happy with. But all I've done is treated my body well.

I was going to do this with a friend but she was holding me back slightly and not really going for it, so I realised I had to do this on my own and forget everyone around me including my husband. He was bringing nice smelling chips on the first couple of days and it's been hot so there's been plenty of ice cream around me so I've said NO to myself.

Basically what I've done is said to myself, I am only eating things that are good for my body. No artificial stuff. No white bread. I make wraps myself from scratch (doesn't take long).

No chocolates, no ice cream, no juice (except apple but I've not bought it yet). I can eat fruit. I don't snack between meals but if I'm feeling hungry and hot then I may have a bit of fruit, otherwise it has to be eaten at meal times and I can't let my stomach get full. I need space to breath by the end of it, I also need enough water and the rest is for food. This eliminates all the random snacking and eating and eating and eating in between meals.

I also added the 30 day shred. Roughly 20 minutes every day. They say it's 80% food 20% exercise which is true but I feel like the exercise tells me to not waste all that effort by eating unhealthily.

So how is my updated after a week? I seem to have lost 2kg or 4lbs. I think that's pretty awesome. At the beginning of the week I thought it would be maximum one or two lbs. Something is going right. And I don't miss eating bad.

I don't have family around me apart from my husband and two little ones so I don't ever have a break or a breather and I think I would just comfort myself with unhealthy food. This is no more. I used to feel sluggish. I've already felt much stronger. Really.

We can do this together. Let's feel and look fabulous again.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Hi,

I will add you.

I had struggled for year trying to lose weight. Crash diets, fad diets, weird and extreme eating habits, wasting so much money on products, etc. The best thing I did was take a year off of dieting. you don't have to do this but I would suggest just starting by tracking EVERYTHING everyday what you are eating now. Give it a week or so, and you'll start to see patterns (maybe you eat when stressed, or reach for something without even thinking). Then I suggest starting with a 1 pound a week loss. If going to 2 pounds a week is something you can only do for 2 weeks, it's unsustainable and sets up binge/purge cycles. I also suggest not giving up your favorite things. Just maybe add in healthier options. I.e. add in some more protein to each meal, or a vegetable, etc.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    I'm glad you're here on MFP! You're in the right place. The concept of "calories in, calories out" has been an easy enough concept to incorporate into my thinking about food as fuel. With accurate logging of what I'm eating, I'm losing weight. Sometimes I incorporate a favorite food as a treat so I don't feel deprived. I haven't cut out any foods as "bad", but full-sugar sodas aren't as tempting as reaching my goal weight. Bread is still in, as is the occasional piece of pie. Mindless snacking is out.

It can be depressing to think about how long it will take to reach your goal weight. So, break it down into smaller goals! I pretty much do a happy dance every time I lose 5 pounds. I've learned (mainly from reading the forums here) not to get upset when the scale goes up again, since weight fluctuates. I just look for that downward trend.

Don't quit after two weeks. You're only just getting started. Commit to six months, maybe aiming to lose 20 or 25 pounds. Then reward yourself by setting another six month goal. I think you'll be pretty pleased with yourself for sticking with it. And ask for advice in these forums, it's really helpful. Welcome aboard!

• NotParis
    NotParis Posts: 26 Member
    Although I am taller than you I have significantly more weight to lose. I know exactly what you are saying though. About how you have earned the food, or why shouldn't you be able to eat it. I have been up and down for years now and have finally hit a point where this is ridiculous. I need to lose the weight.

My mindset going into this is that I am still going to eat stuff I like but I am going to eat it in moderation. I do know that eating the right food greatly helps in staying full and I don't feel staying full is my problem. I think it stems more from, being too lazy to meal prep or count calories. I have to get over that and start eating healthy. I am not young anymore (40+) and I can't live like this. I am just counting calories and trying to eat 3 meals + 2 snacks, which some days is harder than other. Weekends are really hard for me because I am home with my kids and husband. Sometimes we skip meals, or go out. I try to fit it all in and make smarter choices.

I think the hardest part is calling it a diet and sticking to it. I tell myself this is a lifestyle change, I need to do this to achieve the goals I want to achieve. Like yesterday for lunch, I had a sandwich with chicken and ham. I also had one serving of potato chips, I use a scale to weigh them out. I also had carrots with ranch/dill dip. It made me feel good, full and satisfied that salty craving. I still managed to stay within my calorie window and have something that I enjoy! You have to find a balance, depriving yourself of everything is not going to work.

I would love to have a food buddy, bounce ideas off each other, and answer any questions we may not know. Just add me!
  • royalty_mind_1me
    royalty_mind_1me Posts: 284 Member
    That is brave of you to pour out like that, and please know, YOU ARE NOT ALONE! I also have gained 25 lbs fin 10 months (currently weighed in at 200 lb on Monday). But you know what, I have lost almost 3 lbs this week, by tracking my daily food journal and having motivated co-workers to walk with me during the day. Team work is the best-work! Befriend me, and start tracking! It truly works my friend. One day at a time!! - Nicole
  • scgfitlife
    scgfitlife Posts: 55 Member
    Hello!! I am 2 inches taller at 5'6" but I started my journey @ 236, in 2013. It took me a while to get to my "goal" weight which was 150. I lost 40 pounds in 3 years and 50 pounds in less than one whole year thanks to keto. I have been off the keto diet for the last 2 months and I have lost a few more pounds. I have researched every diet known to mankind and have tried every last one! MyFitnessPal is the one thing that really led me to lose weight consistently (and now maintain). Really seeing how much calories I put into my body was life changing!! Get a food scale as well.
  • t25wak
    t25wak Posts: 2 Member
    Hi my love, my advice is ditch the whole idea of 'goal' and an amount to loose each week. just introduce changes gradually and they will be easier to maintain. For example swap sweets/unhealthy snacks for 'healthy' ones, (by the way there are no 'bad' foods, its just when we over indulge they can cause addictions to sugar and carbs which cause weight gain and add to the lethargy then you crave them and the cycle goes on...) just switch to water for half of your drinks in the day, an easy way to do this is to drink a glass while your coffee is brewing first thing in the morning and then before every meal. once you are confident with this habit, change another one, do it one or two things at a time and incorporate gentle exercise - best is to put on your trainers, plug in your headphones and walk outside if you can, 10 minutes to start with, round the block or carpark at work, whatever. it took you years to gain this weight and it may take a while to get it off, but if you start slowly you will be surprised how it gains momentum. So don't think diet, think switch and if you indulge, don't stress, just 'chuck those thoughts in the F&%k it bucket' and move on. Wishing you all the best, xxx
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    I think it's important to keep eating the food you really love and want - and intend to eat for the rest of your life. Just gotta start to weigh it out and eat it in portion sizes that meet your calorie goals. I would also set a less aggressive goal of a pound a week.

The hardest thing is accepting that it's going to take at least a year. That seems like a long time. So don't make yourself miserable eating food you resent as you'll never make that year. Keep eating the food you want. Just work at making it fit your calories for the week.
  • tummytroubles23
    tummytroubles23 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi,

Firstly thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply! If we aren't already friends, I will add you (hope this is okay?).

rednote49 - thanks. Would love to be able to chat through things, certainly may help keep me on track :).

RichardM1047 - I have been to the doctors plenty of times the past year because of the tummy troubles I've had. I've mentioned to them (as they seem too scared to say it almost) that I'm unsure if being overweight has been a trigger. They don't seem keen to discuss it or offer advice. But it may be worth just booking an appointment to discuss other problems I have and check there are no underlying issues; weight related or otherwise. Thanks for the advice, will be considering this for sure.

Mummtofitmummy - Your story sounds similar to mine, minus the fact I don't have children yet. I look back at photos from just before I put on all the weight and I can't imagine being the slim again. My mind almost doesn't match my body - I'm still that slim person, except I'm not and when I look in the mirror, I feel disgusted at myself and can't believe it's even me anymore. Sort of like a moment of 'how did I ever let it get this bad?'. I also feel really embarrassed to see people from school about in case they see me and think 'Christ, she's put on lots of weight'. Whilst it's true, I can't stand the thought of other people thinking it/judging me for it. I probably shouldn't care, but I do.
    Amazing job on the weight loss so far, stick with it as it sounds like you'll do great continuing as you are! Look forwards to joining you and reporting back with some good news soon!

Luna3386 - Thanks for the reply! It's sort of nice to hear that you were once in my position as it gives me motivation to know that it can be achieved with some hard work. 2lbs doesn't seem like much, but even losing 1.5lbs when my aim was 2lbs is gutting. Feels as though I've put in so much effort and still let myself down once again. I keep wanting lots of weight loss in a short time, but perhaps slower weight loss over longer time might be the way I need to go. 1lbs lost is better than 1lb gained in my position. So perhaps that will be my goal for now and anything extra a week is a pure bonus. Thank you for the add also!

DebLaBounty - I think I will try smaller goals, maybe think of a reward to give myself once I achieve - like a day out or something fun. I like that idea, thinking of the bigger picture overall. The ways I've tried it before just haven't worked and each time I fall off the wagon, it feels harder to get back on. Mindless snacking seems to be my go-to hobby right now, so definitely something I need to address and quit straight away. Thank you for your reply :).

NotParis - I will add you. I'm very lazy with food prep too. I still live with my parents (during summer hols as I reside at university otherwise), so I tend to eat with them and find it hard to meal prep aside from them. Or they'll be eating something good and I of course get food envy and want some too (seems silly to even say out loud). My mum is a bit of a yoyo dieter but has overall lost weight and remained down, although she has a little more to lose. I'm very bad for encouraging people to snack with me, almost to make myself feel okay about doing it. And other people do the same to me when I am trying to be good. Its unfair on others when I do it, but other than stopping that, I need to be stronger and say no when people do it to me. When the cravings kick in though, I find it incredibly difficult to not get moody and prevent myself from eating it.
    Lifestyle change is what it has to be, because WHEN I manage to lose this weight, I can't return back this point in my life. I need to be better than this and I can't do it whilst I continue with the way I am.
    Anyway, I'd love to chat ideas back and forth :). Thank you for the reply.

everher - Everything you said is very true, and I feel it killing it me now. It's not just feeling down about my body image and wishing I was slimmer now... I have real medical implications; some weight related, some not - but I'm sure my weight doesn't help all my issues. I appreciate everything you have said, and I agree. Congratulations on your weight loss, I feel following in similar footsteps may be the best way for me. Losing it all at once clearly isn't going to work and it will be a long term task to lose the weight. As you said, this has been years of build up, can't expect it to go over night (as much as I wish it would!!).

royalty_mind_1me - Hi Nicole, I will add you! Thanks for the reply. Firstly well done on your weight loss so far, 3lbs in a week is excellent :smile: . I hope to join you and share similar successes. Look forwards to getting to know you across MFP.

scgfitlife - Very well done on reaching your 'goal' weight :)! I will begin tracking properly tomorrow (well logging on here). I'm beginning to see that the majority of successful people on here didn't lose the weight super quick, it's been done over time. It's motivating to see people such as yourself who have achieved, so thanks for taking the time to comment on my post.

t25wak - Thanks for replying. I like the idea of walking around the car park at work. Hadn't considered that but it is a possibility for me. Also love the idea of have the F-It Bucket haha. Increasing my liquid intake overall is something I need to do, I am lucky if I drink 2 pints a day sometimes. Ends up getting to a point where I'm so thirsty, I have to get a drink and then I forget for ages again. Thanks again.

I have replied to everyone, appreciate all the advice given. Wasn't expecting so many replies :)!!

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    You might be a good candidate for weight loss surgery. My sister has a lap band and she has lost the weight and kept it off.
  • tanya10166
    tanya10166 Posts: 15 Member
    I'm with you. I'm 5" 6 and 153 pounds and am totally disgusted with my body. I think its good that you are reaching out for support and advice from a like minded forum. I never did before and now I'm up from 127! This time I am for accountability and support. I am just starting again as well. We all have different strengths and weaknesses. My weakness isn't food but empty calories from patio season here. My best advice is to simply change your habits. It's hard at first, but if you stick it out for a bit by logging it will become natural. You will lose your taste for fatty, sugary processed foods, especially when your body, skin, and hair start looking and feeling better. What also works best for me is super intense training. This also becomes habit like a coffee in the morning once you've started doing it regularly. Work you're way up and push yourself you will feel amazing as your confidence,mood, appearance and strength increases. It is possible to swap a food addiction for an active lifestyle. Start by evaluting how you feel after putting garbage in your body compared to how you feel after working out. Bloated and gross versus strong and energetic! Your body will thank you, trust me! Overall start with what you can handle, the key is consistency! Be realistic and you will be amazed at how your body and mind progress! You sound like you want to do this, and you can! No diet per say, change habits!
    Feel free to add me if you want to swap food/ activity ideas,or just chat about struggles and victories. :)
  • tummytroubles23
    tummytroubles23 Posts: 3 Member
    You might be a good candidate for weight loss surgery. My sister has a lap band and she has lost the weight and kept it off.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'd like to really give losing weight through a proper diet a go first before ever going to such extremes as altering my digestion forever. Not at all a dig at those who have it, as I can appreciate how desperate weight loss is and of course for some people, their health really does depend on it. But I personally haven't ever REALLY given diet a shot, I quit too quickly. So for me to have surgery to lose the weight as I am right now, it would be a cheats way.
    tanya10166 wrote: »
    I'm with you. I'm 5" 6 and 153 pounds and am totally disgusted with my body. I think its good that you are reaching out for support and advice from a like minded forum. I never did before and now I'm up from 127! This time I am for accountability and support. I am just starting again as well. We all have different strengths and weaknesses. My weakness isn't food but empty calories from patio season here. My best advice is to simply change your habits. It's hard at first, but if you stick it out for a bit by logging it will become natural. You will lose your taste for fatty, sugary processed foods, especially when your body, skin, and hair start looking and feeling better. What also works best for me is super intense training. This also becomes habit like a coffee in the morning once you've started doing it regularly. Work you're way up and push yourself you will feel amazing as your confidence,mood, appearance and strength increases. It is possible to swap a food addiction for an active lifestyle. Start by evaluting how you feel after putting garbage in your body compared to how you feel after working out. Bloated and gross versus strong and energetic! Your body will thank you, trust me! Overall start with what you can handle, the key is consistency! Be realistic and you will be amazed at how your body and mind progress! You sound like you want to do this, and you can! No diet per say, change habits!
    Feel free to add me if you want to swap food/ activity ideas,or just chat about struggles and victories. :)

I will add you!

So you are trying to put on weight right? If I've understood that correctly, it's interesting to see weight and body image from another perspective.

I will start logging and planning my food better.

I actually have a gym/swim membership, but I very rarely use it. Become as bad as me saying 'I'll start my diet tomorrow' - tomorrow never comes and I remain stuck in the same loop. I would genuinely love to become more sporty again, it used to be something I enjoyed. But since my body can't handle it anymore (get out of breath and tired quickly/easily), I find the whole process of exercise a bit embarrassing and depressing. But I know I have to start somewhere again, and without doing so, I can't expect to get any better at it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me!
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    I just added you.

I'm about the same height and started at 195 and now down about 40 pounds.

I've found that 'not being allowed' follows with major binging. I lost wieght before and gained it back because I didn't allow myself things I enjoyed and I binged a lot.

I fit things I like into my calories everyday. I love flavored coffee creamer in my coffee and I've been keeping myself to 2 cups a day with measured creamer.

It's hot right now and I've allowed myself ice cream most days. I save room for chocolate when I want it.

The main thing is getting a food scale and weighing everything you eat.

My exercise right now is just walking. There's some beautiful trails right next to where I live and I go out there almost daily. I think I'll head be to the gym in the fall when my daughter is back in school, but for now she loves the walks with me.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    I will add you, im 5'4 as well, started at 217 and as of this morning down to 187. Im 3 almost 4 months into this and I feel SO much better already.

A quote that really stuck with me was "three months from now you'll wish you had started today" and honestly its true, Start slow and the weight loss will come. MFP is a great place for support.