Who here drinks just one 5oz glass of wine / night?

Options
Old_Cat_Lady
Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
Some sites are saying that a serving of red wine can actually be healthy for your heart. (but not more).
Daily serving:
5 ounces of wine
12 ounces of beer
1.5 ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits, such as vodka
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/wine-how-much-is-good-for-you#2

I would like to know how you control not having more? A mind trick? I had 5 ounces last night and it was a joke. I wanted more. Could it be that I bought the cheap walmart stuff for $4?
Who drinks only one serving, tell me how? My goal is to be healthy not lose weight.
At the bottom of the article it states No one should start drinking if they don't already drink, just to confuse me more.

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I actually do 3 oz of vodka in a night but not more than 4 times a week, it's my new thing, I used to drink a lot of wine. In order to only drink one glass of wine you have to be someone that drinks wine for the flavor and not the buzz, one glass unfortunately doesn't do anything for me, 2 glasses is just right though
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm with you...although if it were cheap wine, I'd probably easily be able to only do one glass. I have reached the point where if I'm going to drink my calories, I'm going to make it well-worth it with good wine. But then I have trouble sticking with only one glass. The struggle is real, for sure.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm usually good with 1.5 oz of tequila.

or 3 or 4...
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

or 3 or 4...

That's neither here nor there... :laugh:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol, so it's not a problem for me. I'm not going to start drinking wine every day because it's "healthy" :D
  • cwolfman13
    Options

or 3 or 4...

Lol...I was speaking for myself, didn't mean to implicate you in my shenanigans...salud!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

or 3 or 4...

Lol...I was speaking for myself, didn't mean to implicate you in my shenanigans...salud!

Here here! :drinker:
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I limit my alcohol intake because it often prevents me from achieving my daily macro goals w/o doing an extra 15 mins of rowing for each 5 oz glass of wine or 12oz can of beer that I drink. So, if I don't want to row, I don't drink.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

or 3 or 4...

I'm in!

clqc8ps6dohe.png
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I usually drink only 1-2 servings per week, because I don't normally have room for more than that in my calorie budget. However, I've never had a problem stopping at 1 or even none if I was driving or just didn't feel like it. If you do find it difficult to stick with one serving though, I'd go ahead & opt for a higher quality beverage, so that it's more satisfying for less ounces. If you are used to drinking at a higher volume, you might be paying more per serving, but you'd most likely still be spending less on alcohol overall.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I have ~ 1 serving a day. It's a perfect compliment to a meal or a pipe in the evening.

Everything in moderation.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    About four years ago the idea of limiting my drinking to "one standard drink" per night was a joke. I've since become a teetotaler for health reasons. Big positive of all of that is there's a lot more room for me to indulge in sweet treats (ice cream and donuts are my faves!). If I want empty calories, I say go big or go home. :smile:
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I have found adding soda water aka wine spritzer makes it much nicer. I get the flavor and twice the volume for the calories.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am in a rut and need to cut back to shed 15 pounds.
    6 oz. scotch
    1/2 bottle of wine
    12oz. craft beer
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I sip my wine and it suits me just fine. I do only have one glass per night. I don't drink it to get drunk but just to enjoy the flavor. Something I have learned in my weight loss journey is that all treats can still be enjoyed. You just have to do them in moderation. When my portion is gone I just tell myself "Tomorrow I can enjoy more" :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

or 3 or 4...

I'm in!

clqc8ps6dohe.png

:D
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I don't drink daily (or even weekly, oftentimes), but during the summer especially I really enjoy a wine spritzer, which I make with 5oz wine and sparkling water (I like Perrier - plain for red wine or one of the citrus flavours with white). It's a bigger volume for the same number of calories and I can add a little fruit, bitters, etc to fancy it up a bit. It's not going to give me a buzz or anything but it's enjoyable for me and it's nice to sit down with a full glass sometimes.

Honestly, my biggest wine-related issue is opening a bottle and then not finishing it before it goes off, since you really only get a couple days out of it once opened. So I usually only have a glass when I'm cooking with a lot of it (making a bunch of wine reduction or mussels or whatever) or having people over, since otherwise I end up pouring the stuff out.

Mostly I stick to an ounce or two of Scotch in the evening if I'm going to drink since I don't have to finish the bottle of that in a timely manner.