How do you deal with hunger?

Options
von66
von66 Posts: 55 Member
I've been following slimming world for 2 years with not much success probably because of portion sizes. Now starting calorie counting and had to reduce portion sizes drastically but getting really hungry in between meals and struggling with what if anything to have to eat.

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Try smaller, but more frequent meals. I eat every few hours so I am never really hungry. Just my opinion, but if you are really hungry you should eat. You also have to learn if it is true physical hunger or if you just want to eat.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough protein, fat and fiber in your meals. Also be sure you're not over restricting - set a reasonable calorie goal instead of trying to lose as much as possible as fast as possible.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Drink- water, tea, coffee and chew gum.
  • von66
    Options
    Do feel hungry can't always for smaller meals I to my day. Having 1550 calorie allowance which is I think generous for me as I'm only 5ft I always try eat under and don't eat any exercise calories I am older though.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    How are your macros? Sometimes more fat and protein will help with hunger. If you feel like you're just about to chew your own arm off, try eating a few almonds, then wait a bit and see if it helps. Not too many - they are calorie dense - but a few can help feelings of satiety.

If you're just used to eating too much, it can take a while to adjust. Figure out what you crave most about high calorie foods and try to get the same effect from lower calorie foods. So, for example, oven roasted green beans make a great French fry substitute for 25 calories instead of 200 - crunchy and salty. Thinly sliced radishes scratch the same itch for me as potato chips. Greek yogurt with strawberries is creamy and sweet like ice cream. Also, bulk up your meals with green vegetables which are low calorie and high in fiber.

Having a few very low calorie foods to keep your mouth busy can help. I like roasted seaweed, herbal teas, and very dark chocolate.
  • von66
    Options
    Haha not one for chewing gum and strangely when I have it actually seems to make me feel hungry? It's like a hungry empty feeling if that makes sense. Do drink lots.
  • OhMsDiva
    Options
    von66 wrote: »
    Haha not one for chewing gum and strangely when I have it actually seems to make me feel hungry? It's like a hungry empty feeling if that makes sense. Do drink lots.

From the responses you have given to the suggestions given I would say then suck it up and deal with it. There are only so many things you can do if you feel hungry.
    Eat or ignore it. That about sums it up.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't try to eat under your goal. Hit your goal. If you exercise a lot you need to compensate for that too. Maybe you need to look at the quality of your diet as well. A good balance between food groups, variety within each food group, is important.

To answer your question, I have never had a problem with hunger, just with the expectation of being hungry, and with thinking about being hungry as a problem. We're supposed to feel hungry between meals, but we're also supposed to function without eating all the time, or eating too much. Eating enough and feeding ourselves reliably and regularly, is important.
  • von66
    Options
    The slimming world mind set if filling up on free foods which I've gotten into a habit of doing. I know it's worked for lots of members but I'm really struggling with weight loss because I find it hard to stick with 100% so thought calorie counting would help. I'm getting headaches with the hunger which is frustrating because I could really do with losing 2 stone
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    As long as you aren't shaking with hunger and about to pass out, I think that being hungry isn't necessarily a bad thing. Learning to listen to our bodies is good, you don't need to be full all the time. If you are genuinely hungry, snack some fruit or veggies - keep a stash sliced and ready in the fridge.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Do feel hungry can't always for smaller meals I to my day. Having 1550 calorie allowance which is I think generous for me as I'm only 5ft I always try eat under and don't eat any exercise calories I am older though.

So you undereat and wonder why you feel hungry? If using MFP correctly you'd eat your 1550 PLUS your exercise calories. At the very least be sure you're not netting below 1200.
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I agree with little and often plus drinking lots before, after and in between meals... It'll get easier :) Are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • OhMsDiva
    Options
    This is a farce, entertaining though I guess
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The slimming world mind set if filling up on free foods which I've gotten into a habit of doing. I know it's worked for lots of members but I'm really struggling with weight loss because I find it hard to stick with 100% so thought calorie counting would help. I'm getting headaches with the hunger which is frustrating because I could really do with losing 2 stone
    Headaches aren't something you should have to put up with! Since you mentioned you drink a lot, it's not dehydration, so my guess is you need a few more carbs. Try eating a piece of fruit when you get a headache - that should top you off for more than an hour - and eating slow digesting carbs such as legumes and whole grains with your meals.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    For me, it was all about learning to spend my calories wisely so that I still get good sized portions and meals that keep me satisfied. For example, I can fix a pound of asparagus, half a pound of mushrooms, and 1/2 a pound of chicken breast and have a big plate of food for about 350 calories. Other things like egg whites and spinach go a long ways as well. Basically a lot of lean meats and veggies and avoiding added sugars and excess fats along with minimizing things like bread that don't keep me satisfied and trigger my appetite. Lots of little things add up. If I use reduced fat cheese which definitely isn't low fat, it is 80 calories per serving instead of 110. That means that I get to use 38% more cheese. Using high fiber tortillas cuts the calories in less than half. I mostly avoid liquid calories which allows me to eat more. Halo Top has far fewer calories than Blue Bell or Ben and Jerry's.
  • von66
    Options
    I don't eat under 1200 calories. I tend not to eat exercise calories because even though I've got fitness band I don't always trust the amount of calories they say you have burned.

I'm scared to eat quite a lot of things like nuts etc because it's ingrained in me that they are bad because of being high in fat even though it's good fat.

I'm hoping it gets easier.
  • rubydrm
    rubydrm Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When I get hungry in between meals, I slice up an apple and take a brief little break from what I'm doing and walk outside for a minute.
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't eat under 1200 calories. I tend not to eat exercise calories because even though I've got fitness band I don't always trust the amount of calories they say you have burned.

I'm scared to eat quite a lot of things like nuts etc because it's ingrained in me that they are bad because of being high in fat even though it's good fat.

I'm hoping it gets easier.

You should be eating back at least half of your exercise calories IMO... It's fuel for your body :) That'll help with the hunger!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You need to work on your habits and attitude in order for them to get better. Prelog in your diary. Fill it with 1550 calories of food you like. Challenge yourself to eat nuts. Add sensible amounts of fat. Try to ignore the good/bad food/carbs/fat ideas when they pop up. Tell yourself it's nonsense, it's just noise from years of manipulation from the media/diet industry.
  • von66
    Options
    I suppose it's going be a bit of trial and error to see what's going work for me in the long run. I'm break the habits I've got into and my body has got used to.

Thanks for suggestions