Diet While Sick

Options
I've been doing rather well with my calories and such, but this morning I woke up horribly sick. Fever, aches, sore throat, blisters in my mouth, swollen face and neck etc - the whole nine yards. I tried to eat breakfast, but I only managed to eat a biscuit and drink some coffee.

I know I need to eat enough to feel better. Should I worry about calories as much or just food I can swallow and keep down? Any super bland tasting foods out there that are easy to swallow?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Take care of yourself... eat at maintenance.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lucypstacy wrote: »
    I've been doing rather well with my calories and such, but this morning I woke up horribly sick. Fever, aches, sore throat, blisters in my mouth, swollen face and neck etc - the whole nine yards. I tried to eat breakfast, but I only managed to eat a biscuit and drink some coffee.

I know I need to eat enough to feel better. Should I worry about calories as much or just food I can swallow and keep down? Any super bland tasting foods out there that are easy to swallow?

Take care of yourself and feed the healing process (in other words, eat at maintenance)

Foods I like when I am sick include eggs (scrambled especially), puddings (mmmmm, tapioca . . .), mac and cheese, yogurt, etc. Basically soft food I don't have to chew much and that are more often eaten cold.

To this day, a sickbed meal will usually be a soft boiled egg, a bowl of milktoast, and tea with honey and lemon. Taste good, go down easy, and reminds me of my childhood when mommy made that for her sick babies.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Blisters in your mouth are a sign of a very high fever. I wish you could call a doctor.
    I googled : Tonsillitis is painful swelling in the tonsils, causing sore throat, red tonsils, pain, fever, and more.
    and this showed up
    Scarlet fever is a red itchy rash on the body caused by streptococcal bacteria. The seasonal flu is a common viral infection that causes fever, body ache, headache, and congestion.
    Tonsillitis is painful swelling in the tonsils, causing sore throat, red tonsils, pain, fever, and more. Scarlet fever is a red itchy rash on the body caused by streptococcal bacteria. The seasonal flu is a common viral infection that causes fever, body ache, headache, and congestion.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have to be careful because I'm on immune suppressants and I have an immune disease. Going to the hospital now actually.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Diet is the least of your worries right now. I hope you feel better soon!
  • ludds
    ludds Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Forget the diet! Eat whatever you fancy that makes you feel better. I had a bout of food poisoning overnight last night and today I've been rough as and eaten peanut butter on toast and chip shop chips! Who cares, I certainly won't check my macros tho!!!
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I hope you get better swiftly!