Suggestions to Fight Water Retention?! HELP!!!

Options
Hi everyone! I have been struggling to lose weight over the past year and have managed to lose 70 lb (yay!) but I still have a lot to lose! My biggest battle is water retention. I have cut back my sodium intake dramatically, and watch it very closely. But I still end up retaining water. Especially during these hot summer months. I have started taking dandelion root because I read that it really helps with water retention, but so far I really haven't seen any results. I drink approx. 120 oz of water a day. Does anyone have any other suggestions? It is so frustrating to work so hard on my diet and work out hard at the gym 5-6 days a week but then see the scale go up because of stupid water weight. :( Plus it is kinda uncomfortable. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I do not have an answer for you, but I am currently taking meds from my doctor to see how much water weight I lose in a two week trial. I do not see a big difference. The only thing that I have noticed is that from day to day my weight is not fluctuating to the large degree that it did previously. It has not stopped my weight loss progress, but we will see what happens.
    There would be weeks and days before when my weight would go up and down 7-8 lbs and I know it was nothing to do with what I ate, but eventually I always get it back down. I just learned not to freak out about it.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Water retention is a natural, and sometimes necessary, function of your body. It's not something to try to eliminate completely. Excess water weight can be controlled by drinking water, which you are already doing. As long as you understand your body's natural weight fluctuations, any frustration that you have with it should go away.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Do you drink plenty of water? It seems counter intuitive, but your body will hold onto water if you aren't hydrated enough.
  • shakenbake57
    shakenbake57 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    First off congrats on the weight loss!!!! WTG!!
    You didnt mention whether you strictly watch your salt intake? I can sure tell when my salt intake is a little up from usual. Especially, in my feet!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I retain water when it's hot out, too. I don't sweat it too much ( :D ). I recognize that's why the scale isn't moving. I drink lots of water, but that's it.
  • larkinvonalt
    larkinvonalt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Some foods are natural diuretics--- like watermelon. Maybe look into that?
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    hi there its just water my friend don't stress over it too much, if it was weight gain then yes Id address it. Your body does that especially if you don't drink enough water, so yes the trick to reducing water retention is actually drinking a lot more water. I drink at least a gallon per day and I usually wake up feeling "dry" with minimal bloating. Try this and you'll see what I mean...hope this helps.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    50-60% of the human body is water. You can't get rid of all your water weight.
    Retaining a little extra water does not affect weight loss from losing fat. You can still lose 50 lbs of fat even if you retain 10 lbs of water weight. If you always retain excess water weight, you will still see weight reduction from fat loss.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Is it retention as in lower extremity edema? If so talk to your doctor diuretics may be indicated
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    The body retains water because it needs it for a variety of reasons, one of which is muscle repair necessary after working out. It will contribute to normal fluctuations in weight but it won't prevent the scale from trending downward.