New Here with 80 Pounds to Lose :(

Options
I have always been over weight (weighed 10lbs at birth YIKES), but within the past few years the weight has really gotten out of hand. I'm 29 years old, 5'6 and 205lbs. I'm really hoping I can stay with my diet this time and lose some weight before my 30th birthday (Oct 29) and a little more by New Years.
I'm a stay at home mom of a 3yr old daughter as well as a full time parent to my three stepchildren (11, 13 & 15). I recently lost my home to a tornado, so right now my funds are limited, which makes it easy to pass up the junk foods when you dont have any money but is also keeping me from being able to have a gym membership. We are all staying at my moms three bedroom house (which is way to small for the six of us) until our new home is built. I have suffered anxiety disorder and now post traumatic stress and was recently put on medication. I'm REALLY hoping the medicine doesnt cause me to gain weight and hinder my weight loss!! Before the tornado, I weighed 217lbs & ended up losing 12lbs without even trying (due to the stress). I live close to a walking track so that is where I will be getting the bulk of my exercise.
I cant wait to get to know everyone on here!

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hello and welcome,1stly you really do not need a gym to loose weight i do not go to a gym of any sort,my main calorie burn in walking! 40 mins a day every day(even xmas day in the snow and ice)lol
    good luck and you should find everything and more you need to know on here!
    x
  • callmefor911
    callmefor911 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    same here I dont go to a gym found walking is the best thing and such a great stress reducer... good luck on your journey..
  • cathyAprice
    Options
    You can do it! And like others have said, don't stress if you can't afford a gym membership. You can walk for free! And I personally enjoy workout videos in the privacy of my own home and then I can do them whenever I want and their mine forever :smile:

I have about 60 lbs to lose so I'd love to have you as a buddy! I gained a lot of weight due to medical illnesses over the past few years and used to be a size ZERO! So big change for me and also encountered stress and depression. But with support, we can get through this!
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck losing the weight :) Just being a member of here will surely help, so much support and motivation I love it.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    we all go through some tribulation at times. Welcome to the site. My advise to you would be to make a commitment to keep at it. Don't shoot for perfection. No ones is perfect, Most people here has the right approach which is a lifestyle change for the right reasons (e.g.:health). I was yo-yoing through the years but the support from MFP friends has really been the x-factor for me. Add as many friends as you can and log every exercise you make and everything you eat. Log everything even if you feel you didn't do too well. Use the food diary notes to write to yourself why you did it and how you think you can do better next time.
    You can do this. You are already on your way.
    If you ever have to give up food, keep reminding yourself of the food that you haven't been able to have and how you don't miss it as of this moment.
    I hope you succeed.
  • heatheramara
    Options
    Also, check your local library for workout DVDs. Lots of local libraries are starting to accept donated DVDs to their Media Collections that you can check out for free. :)