Broken Ankle

Options
Just as I was getting back into a regular gym routine after con crunch, I broke my ankle. Trimalleolar fracture, had to have surgery. It'll be 4 more weeks (at least) before I can start putting weight on my ankle.

I've already lost an inch around my calf, and an inch and a half around the lower part of my thigh. How can I prevent my body from getting too unbalanced? The difference is very visible right now...

Also, what the heck do I do for a calorie goal? TDEE to lose would be 1500-1600 calories a day. I don't want to gain weight, but I also want to make sure I'm giving my body the nutrients it needs to heal. I just really don't know what to do :/

Replies

• pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Go to maintenance calories until you can properly exercise again. Good luck with your surgery!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I agree, eat at maintenance. I broke my ankle and had surgery about 2.5 years ago. I actually broke 2 bones and have plate and screws so my recovery was a good 9 months. Take it easy, focus on recovery and before you know it you'll be back to exercising.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    I agree, eat at maintenance. I broke my ankle and had surgery about 2.5 years ago. I actually broke 2 bones and have plate and screws so my recovery was a good 9 months. Take it easy, focus on recovery and before you know it you'll be back to exercising.

9 months? D: Your injury sounds a lot like mine. 2 bones, I have a plate, 6 screws, and 2 pins. Was it 9 months before you were able to walk or 9 month until you were back to more or less normal?
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance. Dance in your chair...moving your upper body will give you some burn. As far as the balance question that sounds like a good one for your doctor.
  • suetour
    suetour Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just eat healthy do stuff to keep yourself busy so you don't overear from boredom.
  • sarahgreenberg8
    sarahgreenberg8 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had a trimalleolar fracture last year - although it was difficult, I maintained my weight. Mostly because I took vitamins like calcium. If you need some inspo I'd be happy to share my story! Feel better
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I had a trimalleolar fracture last year - although it was difficult, I maintained my weight. Mostly because I took vitamins like calcium. If you need some inspo I'd be happy to share my story! Feel better

I'd definitely like to hear your story! Mainly I'm worried about the physical therapy and being able to get back to normal as fast as I can. I have a week-long camping trip in the Mojave at the end of September (12 weeks and 3 days from surgery...), and I want to be able to function so I don't hate the whole time I spend there. I don't expect to be running and jumping and all that, but I'd like to be able to walk around without being in pain or getting too fatigued.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    kandell wrote: »
    busyPK wrote: »

9 months? D: Your injury sounds a lot like mine. 2 bones, I have a plate, 6 screws, and 2 pins. Was it 9 months before you were able to walk or 9 month until you were back to more or less normal?

It was around 9 months until the walking boot was off and I was walking more or less like before. Then I started jogging SLOWLY with my doctor's approval. My ankle is not like it was pre-accident, and never will be, but overall I am still able to do what I was doing before it happened.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    kandell wrote: »

I'd definitely like to hear your story! Mainly I'm worried about the physical therapy and being able to get back to normal as fast as I can. I have a week-long camping trip in the Mojave at the end of September (12 weeks and 3 days from surgery...), and I want to be able to function so I don't hate the whole time I spend there. I don't expect to be running and jumping and all that, but I'd like to be able to walk around without being in pain or getting too fatigued.

Talk to your doctor about your upcoming camping trip. I had a similar injury/trip experience years and years ago. They ended up putting me in a walking waterproof cast for the week I went camping instead of keeping me in a splint bc of the added support it gave me for improved mobility. Perhaps something similar could be done for you? It's worth asking your doctor about.
    I hope your surgery goes well and you heal quickly.