Which fitness band to get?

Options
I have started going to the gym and getting back into calorie counting. I have a Fitbit Flex which I used for a while but now I find myself charging it more than I'm wearing it. What's a decent fitness band that's not too expensive?

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    What do you want out of a fitness band? Steps counted? Calories burned? Heart rate? GPS? Waterproof or not?

Decide what you need, then look for one that fits those needs. I have a Garmin Vivofit2 which calculates distance walked, steps, calories burned, and has time and date. It is also waterproof so I wear it swimming (the Fitbit Flex 2 is the only Fitbit model that is waterproof). I have had mine for 18 months now and have not had to do anything with it (runs on a watch battery) which is a vast improvement over the Fitbit Flex it replaced. I chose to not buy the HRM with chest strap because Heart rate monitors can be notoriously inaccurate, especially when in water.
  • newki1kn
    newki1kn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Alta HR. It was $125.00 on sale at Meijer (a midwest store like Wal-mart). It syncs with mfp, does heart rate, calories, steps, miles, and active minutes per day. This is my 2nd Fitbit. I love them. The only thing I wish it did that my old one tracked was flights of stairs. I have had mine for 4-6 mos, but I can go 5-7 days w/o charging it.
  • royalty_mind_1me
    royalty_mind_1me Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    The FITBIT Charger is awesome! I hear from other users that have been using FITBIT for awhile, that I got a good one. You can track cardio workouts, treadmill, weights, and sleep tracking too. There's more features too, but I link it with MFP app as well. Try it :):):)
  • roseym10
    roseym10 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge HR 2 and it's my favorite. I like that I can press the button at the beginning of my workout and then again at the end and I instantly see calories burned, heart rate, etc. without waiting until I access it on my phone or Ipad. I tried the Alta and ended up switching back to the Charge HR 2.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    For sharing your results with as many people as possible - Fitbit of your choice. (Simply biggest market share currently, hence better odds that more friends have one.

For "serious" tracking and probably bit better accuracy - a Garmin or Polar device. Both companies have years of experience with high end pro fitness gear and they know what they are doing - mostly.

On a strict budget - Xiaomi Mi Band 2 - decent accuracy and 90% of the features of a Fitbit for 1/4 of the price.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I went through 3 Fitbit charge HRs in a year--band issues then battery issues (last one would be dead by 3 pm after an all night charge). Got a Garmin Vivoactive and like it even more. Steps, hr, alarms, sleep, cycling, swimming...pretty much everything. Plus it gives me texts, push messages from my phone, and lets you do a lot from the watch without your phone. Size and interface took some getting used to, but I'm finding it very useful.
  • hannys
    hannys Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love my Firbit Charge HR, but now o want to look at this Garmin one!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I have the One, which I like, but I'm planning on switching to the Alta when it dies.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm loyal to the fitbit brand,,however the synching is slow sometimes, my charge 2 band has been super glued 2 times,my flex battery drains early,now come to think of it they both drain pretty fast! Maybe I'll gripe to the company but I still love fitbit
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I'm loyal to the fitbit brand,,however the synching is slow sometimes, my charge 2 band has been super glued 2 times,my flex battery drains early,now come to think of it they both drain pretty fast! Maybe I'll gripe to the company but I still love fitbit

When you gripe to them, mention that their bands should be more waterproof.