Help me use my peppers!!! :'(

Options
ennaejay
ennaejay Posts: 575
OK so I was planning on making stuffed bell peppers for dinner. (Stuffed with beef and basmati, onion, sauce, etc). Already fried up the beef. I went to pull my peppers out of the fridge, and....... well, they weren't as fresh as I remember them being when I stashed them in the back of the crisper a week ago :ohwell:

They're halved, washed, seeded --- but I had to cut out some bad spots, and now they look like somebody took an Uzi to them. They won't hold my beef and rice mixture.

Any ideas? (The only idea I have is to chop them up and make chili. Or freeze them. But I already have the beef browned and wanted to use them.... and chili is so common in our house.....:grumble: )

Help!

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Make a 'stuffed pepper soup'. chop them up, add them to the beef mixture and sauce. I have a recipe somewhere. Let me find it

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/stuffed-pepper-soup-iv/detail.aspx

edited to add recipe link.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You could always roast them and make a pasta sauce or dip out of them. Roasted peppers make my world go round.
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If you have kids that might enjoy it - we sometimes make mashed potatoes that look like ice cream scoops, make a hot fudge looking topping out of ground beef, veggies, sauce, etc, then top it with a cherry tomato. In the end, it is supposed to look like a hot fudge sundae.
    Hope I didn't make that sound too gross. It's fun for April fools - but good other times too.
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend sautees them with Turkey Kielbasa and onions and adds his favorite spaghetti sauce. Its delicious and decent on the calories!
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Fajitas!! YUM!!
  • lb7970
    lb7970 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    How about chopping them adding them to you ground beef and rice mixture and putting it all into a casserole dish and baking it altogether? You might want to add some V-8 or tomato juice so it won't get dried out.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    throw them in with the beef and some onion and other bits and bobs to your taste,then put it inside some pita breads with salad on top ...yum and healthy!
    (just make sure it's not to sloppy)!
  • cjasins
    cjasins Posts: 93
    Options
    maybe make inside out peppers....same concept as stuffed but cut up the peppers into smaller pieces and mix with the beef mixture...can saute the peppers first and make it like a skillet meal......love your signature....I have that saying posted everywhere!!
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Make a beef stirfry!
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I bet it would be great if you just cut up your peppers and threw it all in a skillet. Or maybe a casserole dish and pop it in the oven. Sounds yummy to me!
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I eat peppers everyday with my pasta :-) That is easy for you, just make it a beef & vegetable rice, I've had it before and is so healthy and delicious :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Make Brinner, with some southwestern omelets! Dice them up, add some onion, provolone cheese and salsa. YUM
  • FitandPrettywithME
    FitandPrettywithME Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sorry my tip would've been chili too, but I understand wanting to get out of a rut when it comes to food. Besides, it looks like you have to great ideas already. So my tip is actually how to keep peppers fresh a little longer. First, do not cut or wash or seed them until you are ready to use them. I know it makes cooking during the week easier to prepare but this really does help. Also storing them in a ziploc bag helps them to stay fresh a little longer too. When you are ready to use them, if you only use half, do not wash the other half you are not using yet. Just keep in ziploc until you are ready to use the other half.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Make Brinner, with some southwestern omelets! Dice them up, add some onion, provolone cheese and salsa. YUM

Yeah, I was gonna say you could toss them with eggs. My hubby likes scrambled egg & egg whites with peppers and a little Feta.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    yep, roast them in the oven. put the cut side down, and put onto a cooking sheet. turn onto broil and wait until they char a bit. then wash off the black burnt stuff. Toss into a Blender or food processor with some olive oil and seasonings. and you can use for a sauce on top of rice pasta or pasta or whatever. it's super good and very healthy.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    How about chopping them adding them to you ground beef and rice mixture and putting it all into a casserole dish and baking it altogether? You might want to add some V-8 or tomato juice so it won't get dried out.

This one!! Same taste profile! And you have everything ready to go anyway.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    If you have kids that might enjoy it - we sometimes make mashed potatoes that look like ice cream scoops, make a hot fudge looking topping out of ground beef, veggies, sauce, etc, then top it with a cherry tomato. In the end, it is supposed to look like a hot fudge sundae.
    Hope I didn't make that sound too gross. It's fun for April fools - but good other times too.

This sounds hilarious.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Wow, you peeps are awesome! Thanks for the ideas!

I never thought of roasting and pureeing for a dip, that's cool.... or fajitas.... (Unfortunately we just had quesadillas last night so kindof redundant) I just ate eggs for lunch, so will skip that idea.... Looking for more of an entree....

And the winner is...... The Stuffed Pepper Soup! Runner-up is the skillet idea, because I have a beast of a cast-iron skillet that this would taste good in baked with the rice and sauce, if I added some fillers.

The ice cream idea was slightly disturbing, but an A++ for creativity!! :tongue:
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You'll love it! I'm from western PA, so we're a buncha "Hunkies" over here. We love our stuffed peppers no matter how ya make 'em! LOL
  • Unknown
    Options
    Whatever you cook, send me some! lol