Levothyroxine

Options
Hello,

My name is Marilyn. I have been struggling with thyroid issues and my doctor just put me on 50mg of Levothyroxine. I am concerned that it will cause weight gain as I have read horror stories about this medication. I was wondering if anyone has had success with this medication and how it has affected their weight.

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    My wife had a total thyroidectomy some years ago and needs artificial thyroid hormone to, you know, live. She has not had any ill effects and has not gained weight.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My daughter is hyperthyroid and is on medication. Before she was diagnosed, she was eating 5000 calories a day and losing weight without trying....that was the red flag! Her medication is supposed to give her a normal metabolism, but now she's used to eating so much! She will eventually be on artificial thyroid too, so I'm curious to see the responses you get
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of anyone gaining weight via thyroid hormone. It is the thing that enables people with hypothyroidism to burn enough calories to lose weight, in fact. I was started on levo first and it just did nothing. After a few months I went back to the doctor and I said this isn't working. I need something else. She switched me to armour thyroid, which is made from pig thyroids. That worked beautifully. I started being able to stay awake, and I could lose weight at the same rate as anyone else through diet and exercise where previously it had been ineffective. Give it 3 months and if you have bad or no effects, ask your doctor for a different thyroid medication. There are several.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've been on levothyroxine for 4yrs now (thyroid remove for cancer) - I have lost weight on it, as soon as my levels were controlled properly. In fact, one of my key signs that my dosage may need to be adjusted is that my weight starts creeping up with no change in food consumption or workouts

agree with the you may need to change - I started on levo and got switched to synthroid (notionally the same) but my body reacted differently to the synthroid and my levels started creeping up - my dosage was adjusted 3 times in the space of a year after being stable for 3
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Within a few months of starting Levo for hypothyroidism, I've lost 44 lbs and I'm no longer obese. Kept the weight off and maintained for almost 5 years now and I still take the same Levo dosage. You have to watch your calories and exercise, there's no other way to lose weight and build muscle for better metabolism. Follow your doctor's advice!
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but from my reading as someone who has a hypoactive thyroid treated with medication, having a hypoactive thyroid is associated with weight gain. Levothyroxine is used to treat hypothyroidism. If anything, returning your body to normal levels of thyroid hormone (vs. low levels) should make it easier for one to lose weight, not cause one to gain it. For me personally, having my hypothyroidism treated resulted in higher energy levels, which makes it possible for me to do things like exercise.
  • marilyncuello
    marilyncuello Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. They were very encouraging to my weight loss journey.
  • findingmi
    findingmi Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been on levothyroxine for 12 years. Unfortunately, I have not found it has helped me on my weight loss journey.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Cat3141 wrote: »
    I'm not a doctor, but from my reading as someone who has a hypoactive thyroid treated with medication, having a hypoactive thyroid is associated with weight gain. Levothyroxine is used to treat hypothyroidism. If anything, returning your body to normal levels of thyroid hormone (vs. low levels) should make it easier for one to lose weight, not cause one to gain it. For me personally, having my hypothyroidism treated resulted in higher energy levels, which makes it possible for me to do things like exercise.

This. It is possible to gain weight on it, but if weight gain was an issue you were having already, due to poor thyroid, the levothyroxin is more likely to help a bit, by getting things back to normal. However, you were probably eating more because of the hypothyroidism. You do need to cut back down to "normal" amounts, or you will definitely start gaining again.
  • Akkael
    Akkael Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Had thyroid removed because of cancer. Struggling to lose weight. On .112 levothyroxine, exercise 2x day and 1200 calories.
  • DevotedToDASH
    DevotedToDASH Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo with Hashimoto's - 75 mcg of levothyroxine a day, but because I don't convert t4 to t3, it has had no effect on my weight. Just keeps me clinically normal (because standard thyroid tests don't measure ratios and insurance balks about what they consider unnecessary testing). I'm following some recent medical journal research on the whole non-conversion/reverse t3 thing, because they're thinking it's yet another type of thyroid disorder that needs even different therapy. I've also just started taking a zinc supplement as you need zinc to convert. Fingers are crossed, because dessicated thyroid aggravates an arrhythmia for me and still doesn't normalize my levels. Hope the meds help you.