Cheater by accident- a confession.

Options
Okay Ive been cheating myself for months maybe years! I knew it was bad but didnt realize it until today. First of all - I HAVE to have coffee in the morning. I drink 2-3 10oz cups of 1/2 caf and I HAVE to have sweetened creamer in it. Today I actually measured out how much creamer I was putting into each cup....3-4 tablespoons per large cup. I know its crazy but thats how i like it. That is adding 300 calories to my day. Just in my COFFEE! What to do- what to do??? I hate the splenda taste and those other artifical sweetner crap. I feel like this is my morning routine and if I stray the day is ruined. But 300 calories = a good 40 minutes of exercise for me..... what to do???

Replies

• alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    Just give black coffee a chance. Hazelnut is best I think. After awhile, you love it.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    can you try other creamers, maybe do a half and half with the stuff you love until you get used to it, or just try a little less one week and then a little less then ext week until you are using only 100 calories worth? That's what i have done and now i rarely notice the difference
  • craigh04
    craigh04 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Maybe try cutting the amount in a half. I used to drink coffee with 2 cream and 2 sugar. I started cutting back to 1 cream and 1 sugar and than just one cream. Now all I have is a splash of milk. I ordered a coffee recently and they gave me 2 cream 2 sugar and I had to throw it out. You might just have to wean yourself off of it.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i used to be the same way, lots of creamer and sugar. i have slowly switched over to all splenda now. it's the least nasty of the artificial sweetners. i absolutely can not give up my morning coffee which sadly to say is much more than what you take in so dont feel bad at all. you can try and cut back on the creamer or try skim milk.. maybe?
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I second learning to drink black coffee, or at least darker without any sweeteners. I like hazelnut flavored coffee as well.
    300 liquid calories on something you could have for free or at least under 100 calories does not seem worth it to me.
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    try adding skim milk and almond extract or any flavored extract to coffee
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Wean yourself down gradually and it won't be so bad. Try 3 1/2 tbsp for a week or so, then 3 and so on until you are off of it. It will be easier for you I think. You can always try stevia. It is natural sweetener and not like splenda and equal, which aren't good for you. It's like alcohol for an alcoholic. It's bad and addictive and you need to break the habit that it has become for you. No going back to "just have one" ever or you will relapse. It's all in what you want in your life. If you don't mind working out for almost an hour everyday just so you can have coffee with your extras in it then that's up to you. It's time for tough love. Good Luck!
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I put sugar free vanilla cream in my coffee and splenda....I know it is artificial but it is tasty and does the trick! And I didn't have to give up coffee....I never think I could drink black coffee.....The kind I get is 30 cal per 2 tbls......Mini moo individual creamer also only has 10 cal in each creamer. I got a big box of it at Sam's....that isn't too bad either and you know each one is only 10 cal! Good luck!
  • cjcarson87
    cjcarson87 Posts: 31
    Options
    Try using Stevia. It has no calories but its made from a plant, so no chemicals. no chemicals means so gross after taste! give it a try! even my boyfriend who despises splenda LOVES stevia.....the most common brand name is Truvia.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    You know, there are plenty of people past and present who go about their days coffee free and have for generations...

you should think about quitting, sure your days will be not so right for a week or two perhaps even three... but then you don't have to spend an extra 40 minutes a day just to work off your coffee creamer, that is most likely high in fat and sugar.

Just a thought, take it or leave it.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    When I first started drinking tea, like seriously drinking it everyday I would have several teaspoons of sugar in it AND half and half. My dad said that when he started drinking tea he did the same thing.

We both slowly would decrease how much sugar we used. Then I switched to using milk in my tea. Now I use a teaspoon or less of sugar, depending on the kind of tea.

I know coffee is different, but maybe try easing down.
  • 2day2morrow4ever
    2day2morrow4ever Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I actually drink black cofee with no cal sweetner (Truvia or Stevia) now, after slowly taking down the creamer until it was no more and using less sugar and more sweetner until I am now at just sweetner. I like it just as well, after slowly transitioning. I am thinking of trying some of the flavored coffees. They are sweet without the calories...If i can just locate them again...so I can order some.
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My mother uses Low Fat Half and Half in her's. Put it this way it could be worse. My Aunt and Uncle? They don't only use sweet cream in their coffee. They also have it in their CEREAL. EVERYDAY. And they wonder why they have sugar problems.. They refuse to stop doing it too haha.

When I started buying free milk to make my slim fast's with, my mom was like eww fat free. We always drank the full one (forget name?) then we switched to 2% and have been having that for probably 8 years now. But I wanted to go even lower and I figure if you're mixing it with something else, you won't really taste the difference. And I was right :D Now I've converted my mother to using fat free milk in her coffee, and she uses it while cooking also :) Every little bit helps, just remember that!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I very recently quit putting cream and sugar in my coffee and use protein shake mix instead. That way I am getting the value of the meal with my coffee calories and it tastes like a creamy latte. It is filling enough since it is protein shake that I count that as my entire breakfast and kill two birds with one stone. In the summer I make the coffee extra strong and add ice cubes to the blender to chill it. I am allergic to most artificial sweeteners, so I use EAS soy protein vanilla shake mix.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    OK, so I've looked at all the responses and they all have their merit. My question to you is, cheating or not, is this affecting your weight loss? I.E. now that you know the calorie count, is it affecting your total numbers to where having it as is is preventing you from reaching your goals. If it isn't affecting your goals, I think yoou're fine as is. If it is affecting your weight loss, then I would suggest gradually cutting back on the creamer, sugar etc, as suggested. I love Starbucks Caramel Frappuchino. I decided to try the light version and found it to be "not the same thing and not satisfying". When I ahve them add a small amt of caramel drizzle to the top, I like it and it's become my breakfast staple. I was able to cut back on the calories but it is still satisfying. I incorporate the new calorie count into my totals and its all good, I continued to lose the weight. One of the things I have come to realize is that despite my own negative perceptions of the way low/no fat or low/no sugar things would taste, I do a little experimenting and am constantly amazing myself. For example, I see no difference between low fat and reg mayonaise, but the non fat stuff is crap. Same with soour cream. However, putting them in some meals, I rarely can tell a difference. So, point being, try experimenting a little, you may pelasantly be surprised by the results.
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    http://deliciouslyorganic.net/homemade-coffee-creamer/

Make your own creamer, maybe switch the heavy cream and milk to just milk that way you are controlling the containers calorie contents. Also, if you add a little bit of cinnamon or cocoa powder to the coffee grounds, it adds some sweetness to the coffee, almost magically.
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    I use coconut milk creamer and stevia. (get the stevia in the raw) the truvia has other things added to it.
    The plain creamer is only 10 calories a serving and the stevia is from a plant and doesnt have a chemical taste....
    just watch out because the flavored coconut creamers have more calories.

good luck :)
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Once you go black you never go back...

...wait, that saying is about coffee, right??