IUD and BC Question

Options
Hey ladies,

I am considering getting the Paraguard instead of being on regular BC pills because they are making me bloat so terribly and, quite frankly, we have run out of options on pills to try as I have tried most of them.

What is your suggestion as far as this goes?

Does anyone have the Paraguard? Do you like it? Have you tried it and hated it?

Thank you!

Lizzy

Replies

• mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I've heard of people getting the paraguard and they had horribly heavy bleeding and became prone to infections, etc. Not saying everyone but that is what happened to my sister. I on the other hand had mirena for awhile and had no issues. I'm now on the pill and other than getting more pimples than normal which i am ok with ...it's fine.
  • StephanieBridge1281
    Options
    I am on Mirena and I love it!!!! So much better than the pill!
  • JenniCH
    JenniCH Posts: 74
    Options
    I highly recommend ParaGuard... I've had it for about 2 years and am SO SO SO thankful that I no longer have to have a birth control that has hormones in it (so much research has been done on the negative side effects of women being on hormonal birth control for years & years).
    Yes the insertion of ParaGuard was painful (I've never birthed a child so therefore that area down there has never been widened) but I popped some ibuprofen, took a nap and got over it.
    Yes... I did have very intense, mind blowing cramps but my Dr. just prescribed me some Naproxen (I was offered actual pain killers like Vicodin and I declined those) and I was perfectly fine after that.
    I've actually found that my periods are lighter and much shorter... It's just a relief to be free of the extra hormones... and I feel like I PMS a whole lot less :-) It's not for everyone as yes there can be complications but honestly hormonal birth control can have worse side effects in the long run.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I got off BC and got MIrena and love it!
  • Lizzybugz
    Lizzybugz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am concerned somewhat about fertility after using the Paraguard. Has anyone had problems getting pregnant after using the Paraguard?

My doctor assures me that this is not a concern unless you get a pelvic infection, which would diminish fertility potentially anyways. But I am curious as to other people and how they have reacted.

I have never had any children so I realize it will probably be painful, but I also can't risk getting pregnant right now as I am working full time and in grad school full time. At the same time, I cannot deal with this hormone crap anymore. They are making me nuts! =P

Any more advice or opinions?

Lizzy
  • Lizzybugz
    Lizzybugz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Got it! And its amazing! =) I am a much more balanced person emotionally now! And less bloated! I feel sooo much healthier! Thanks for the advice! <3

Lizzy