How much can I healthily lose in 4 weeks

Options
sapphora
sapphora Posts: 10 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm pretty low I Broke my ankle in Jan and my husband walked out on me. Unfortunately I've put out at least 6 kilos and am only now able to
Exercise.. Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is all my ankle can take... walking leave me in pain still. I'm now 71kg. I was 65 and very heathy pre break. After advice on the best calorie limit - would 1300 be reasonable to lose 4kg in about 4 weeks? The weight is making me feel so low not used to it.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It depends upon your start weight. If you are over 250, then 10 lb in a month is easy. If you are under 200, then 6 lb in a month may be a stretch. Being over 65 likely makes it harder to do either of those, mostly because of your slightly lower TDEE, but also because you're just set in your ways and might not consistently do the necessary things to keep the calories out of your mouth. Give it your best shot for a whole month. You don't have the dreaded TOM to contend with.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It depends upon your start weight. If you are over 250, then 10 lb in a month is easy. If you are under 200, then 6 lb in a month may be a stretch. Being over 65 likely makes it harder to do either of those, mostly because of your slightly lower TDEE, but also because you're just set in your ways and might not consistently do the necessary things to keep the calories out of your mouth. Give it your best shot for a whole month. You don't have the dreaded TOM to contend with.

I think she's saying she was 65 kg (now 71 kg) before the injury.

But OP, what Jerome said is very true. It MAY be possible to lose 4 kg in a month with water weight, but it's very unlikely for it to be all fat that comes off. .25-.5 kg per week will be a good rate of loss to aim for.
  • sapphora
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Definitely not over 250 pound!
    I'm 156 pound now I was 145. I am short only 5ft 3, 44 years and it's all around my abdomen so very very noticeable nothing fits it's not great. I am more mentally healthy I can definitely stick to the 1300 cals a day and do
    The daily 30min cardio now my ankle can tolerate it. Previous I maintained by regular exercise so not
    Doing that has played with my head a little. I have an event coming up and really want to
    Be a fair bit closer to what I was.
    Appreciate the advice.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm going to predict 2.5-4 lbs.
  • ArizonaToast
    ArizonaToast Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your husband walked out on you. :(
  • sapphora
    Options
    Thanks for the kindness.
    jemhh is that weekly or overall? If I
    Could get to that only doing 30mins of exercise a day I would be happy x
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    At your weight, you really shouldn't try to lose more than a pound or 1.5 pounds per week. (Losing more than that is not very healthy and puts you at risk for losing muscle, so even if you only care about appearance and not health, you need to keep your muscle if you want to look toned when you reach your goal weight.)

The good news is that you technically don't need to exercise at all to lose weight. You just need to eat fewer calories than you burn. 1300 calories is a reasonable goal and without exercise it will probably allow you to lose 1 pound per week. (Sometimes people get a little extra boost from dropping water weight the first week, but otherwise 1 pound per week is a reasonable expectation.)

Be sure to be as accurate as possible when tracking your calories - log everything that goes in your mouth, get a food scale and weigh your portions, etc. for the best chance of success. Good luck!
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    We have really similar stats, and with some really strict eating & forced 10,000+ daily steps I have managed to drop about 1.5kg in 2 weeks (now 68kg) so for me at least I don't think losing 1kg per week over a sustained period is really possible.

However, I can say that with the increase in exercise (am running a lot more consistently) and hugely improved diet (So. Many. Vegetables.) I feel soooooo much better than I did a few weeks ago. If you're anything like me even if you don't lose the weight that fast, if you can stay on the road to it you'll still be happy with your progress :smiley:
  • bossyfairy
    bossyfairy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are having a rough time this year.
    30 day shred is amazing - you'll lose inches so take measurements because that will show your progress. I've started on 30 day shred today for the 3rd time (over a few years) . It's my go to to quickly to make a difference.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    sapphora wrote: »
    Thanks for the kindness.

Overall.

You have only a small amount of weight to lose. Averaging between one half to one pound a week would be great progress.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You don't have a deadline! Two pounds a week may result in losing muscle as well as fat, and you don't want that. You took five months to put this weight on, you can take longer than 4 weeks to get it off.

The good news is walking is not all that great for weight loss anyway, so don't worry that you can't do it. Higher intensity activity is good. Adding some strength exercises will protect your muscle so the weight comes off in the right places.

Good luck with your weight loss! I'm sorry you've had such a rotten year so far, but it's good you're taking charge and turning it around now.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you're having a tough time.

It's time to open a new window to life opportunities and close doors on the past.
    sapphora wrote: »
    Thanks for the kindness.

A calorie deficit is for weight loss. Exercise for health.