Weight watchers

Options
So I'm currently a weight watchers member looking to switch over to mfp... has anyone had success doing this? I'm feeling super restricted in the new smartpoints program, but I'm also afraid of all the freedom I'll have with MFP...

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    There are loads of threads from ex and current weight watchers members - this is a fairly recent one http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10558830/why-did-it-take-me-so-long-to-figure-it-out-weight-watchers

Don't be scared of the freedom, it will help you manage the way you're going to eat for the rest of your life.
  • raeleigh26
    raeleigh26 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I did WW from Feb. 2016 until about a week ago. I lost about 60 pounds on the program so it definitely works, but the last 5 pounds I've struggled with and it's more of a me problem not the program. I just didn't want to keep paying every month if I wasn't going to follow the program. I've been using this app for about a week and there is more freedom. I'm down 3.1, but I'm sure it was mostly water retention. I'm still eating like I was doing WW, but it is nice to have treats and not have to worry how to make my points work for the day.
  • Stationagentjules
    Stationagentjules Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I did WW for first 3 months and the last month of it I tracked using both MFP and WW. I found my calorie count was similar with either plan. I've had the same success rate with both. For months now I use only MFP.

I found MFP to be less restrictive in general and I was never comfortable with WW not counting fruit as points. Plus MFP is free so...

For tracking and convenience, ease of use, I prefer MFP. Even though I need to double check accuracy with their massive nutritional database, once I have my staple items it's pretty quick and easy to track.

The MFP restaurant search is pretty cool too.
  • susanofarrell
    susanofarrell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    WeightWatchers has been shown that it's the #1 most effective 'program' for weight loss. They didn't consider MFP a "program" so it didn't get a comparison... but I know it works for me (this coming from a lifetime WW member).

Can you do both (logging your WW program in MFP) until you get a feel for what works for YOU? Information is power!
  • royalty_mind_1me
    royalty_mind_1me Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    MFP keeps me accountable, its when I stop logging that I gained weight. But syncing my FITBIT APP helps even more. Definitely a true motivator, verses just eating right. It causes you to stay active! And results will follow! -Nik
  • Xx_Christie_xX
    Xx_Christie_xX Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have tried both and for some reason I struggled with WW to lose weight!
    Pros of WW - unlimited fruit and veg saves weighing and tracking. I also liked the weekly allowance however this was also a con as I would use them all the first few days then be starving the others! Atleast with MFP you know where you are each day, it's free and the community is also helpful.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've done WW consistently since January 22nd and lost 38 pounds so far. I'm doing a Whole30 with people I go to the gym with (just for fun/to see if I'm up for the challenge) and my first week, I struggled. I tracked in both MFP and WW, and I consistently went over my SP but my calories were either on target or pretty close to MFP guidelines. I didn't follow all the guidelines of W30 for fear of screwing up my WW SP, but I did anyway despite my best efforts AND I was always hungry!

One thing I've always hated about WW is that they penalize you for fat intake. Fat is good. It's satisfying, it helps regulate your digestive system, balances your hormones, etc. It's impossible to do W30 without fat, and so I've made the choice to track here and not in WW for the rest of my W30 to see how I do and feel. After this week, I think I gained. At least 1-2 lbs. Hoping it's just beginner gains for eating more than what I'm accustomed to with WW, but we shall see.

After W30, maybe just tracking here will make me better off in the long run. I'm scared to deviate, as I've had such great success with WW, but the freedom of tracking calories vs points is kinda nice!
  • AmandaEdwards1
    AmandaEdwards1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've counted calories before and been successful. I didn't use MyFitnessPal but a similar website.
    I joined weightwatchers recently and logged for about a week and hated the points system so I cancelled the account and switched to here. I'm much happier here and I'm losing weight. I agree with some of the above posters that the points system don't really make sense.
  • caryll4
    caryll4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Agree with new point system I was a weight watcher for years, with new program is to much focused on sugar. Mfp much more sensible
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I initially lost about 6 lbs with WW the first two weeks, then gained it all back within 3 weeks (still following the plan!) I did not like the point system. I could eat two bananas (close to 200 calories) and use 0 points, but that granola bar that is 180 calories will cost me 7 pts?!?! I was eating a lot of fruits and vegetables and not using my weekly points or my fit points (I was getting over 170 each week!) and I still gained weight - because I was still eating too many calories!
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The Whole30 fat intake post got me thinking again about WW penalized foods. 1 slice reduced calorie whole wheat bread - 50 cal - 1 point. 1/4 avocado I had for lunch - 50 cal - 3 points! Same Calories - Different Point Values!

I am just so frustrated by WW intentionally manipulating people to choose certain foods over others no matter what their situation. I am a grown adult - if I want to eat that donut and it fits into my daily calories - I should damn well be able to do it.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I've been doing WW for a couple of months, using the Simply Filling option. I've had very good success with it and I think I'm making healthier choices using the list of foods they supply. If I were younger, I would want the freedom to eat a donut; however, I have to be really careful to watch my cholesterol, blood sugars, etc now that I'm over 60. My meeting group has a really great leader and we focus on behavioral changes, which has been very helpful. The in-person component is helpful for me, but I love MFP friends, too, so I'm tracking here.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I liked WW because it taught me portion control, how to add fruit and veggies to your daily diet, and taught the psychological aspects of eating. I lost 60 lbs on the older Points programs, and an extra 10 double tracking here. I made it to goal, so I am a free Lifetime WW member. But when WW switched to the new program I struggled to maintain the loss, much less lose more to get to my personal goal. Reason is the zero points food and points bias skews calorie control. Seems everyone on the WW is in "the turtle club" (slow losses) because of it. And everytime I foolishly try to follow WW again and double track, I plateau or gain. Calories are too high for me. I also got tired of converting everything to points, and being limited in food choices because of points values. It led to a lot of binges.

Another major problem I have is lack of maintenance support. They say increase your points by 6 per day. So I did and gained. And I was treated like a screw up instead of given advice and better guidance. I got the gain off with MFP.

All in all, WW has its benefits, but I prefer MFP.