Seasoning without salt????

Options
Macknbee
Macknbee Posts: 22 Member
I need your help everyone!! I have been trying to cook without salt, but I find that everything I make doesn't taste as good as it does with salt!! I was hoping any of you would give me some tips on how to season my food and cook it and have great flavors with it?? Any suggestions I can try??

Cheers,
Heather

Replies

• spankywife
    spankywife Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of chili powder instead of salt. Also, garlic powder and onion powder.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I put fresh garlic, onions, or peppers in everything!!
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I like using garlic powder & pepper a lot, also Mrs. Dash makes some flavorful seasonings.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's nearby - get their "21-Seasoning Salute". It's SOOO good! (And, even fooled my salt-fiend mother when she came for dinner.)
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I use garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, perfect pinch is salt free :)
  • PhiliciousCurves
    PhiliciousCurves Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Try Mrs. Dash seasonings! There's a varieity of flavors you can try including Garlic & Herb, Lemon Pepper, Onion & Herb, and Tomato Basil Garlic. These are my favorite flavors and I use them in vegetables, chicken, turkey and fish, plus they're all salt-free!
  • Warwick5
    Warwick5 Posts: 4
    Options
    Fresh herbs always work, but there are some salt substitutes available, if you really need that salt flavor. My father in-law uses AlsoSalt.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    MRS. DASH!!! They have many flavors...I have fiesta lime, italian medley, cajun, perfect Italian, lemon pepper, garlic and herb, southwest chipotle, and grilling blends for steak. The are all awesome and I add them to the appropriate meal. The are all no sodium. I season my taco meat with the fiesta lime flavor. It tastes just like the regular taco seasoning...but no sodium!! I hope this helps.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I use the freshest ingredients that I can find perferrably from the garden and get lots of exercise. these things make food not need so much salt to begin with. everything tastes better when you've gotten enough exercise
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash makes good flavors.

I use all kinds of seasonings though. My top used are garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and Italian seasoning.

If you like something with a little extra kick, my aunt put together this mix for me and OMG it sooo good. I now use it whenever I make anything with a little spice, like taco meat. Or I really like it on my chicken. I even use it to season my homemade refried beans (which I make with no salt..they come out to like 30 grams of sodium...so you can imagine the lack of flavor) .

She calls it Essence seasoning. You mix:

Paprika, 2.5 tbsp
    Garlic powder, 2 tbsp
    Pepper, black, 1 tbsp
    Onion powder, 1 tbsp
    Pepper, red or cayenne, 1 tbsp
    Oregano, dried, 3 tsp, ground
    Thyme, dried, 3 tsp, ground
  • Lauren1983
    Options
    I use a lot of cayenne. I love spicy foods.

I use salt when cooking but not very much and not once its on the plate. I don't have any medical conditions which require limiting salt. I run also so I need my sodium - just not too much of it.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    We use Paul Prudhomme's Salt-Free seasoning for oven fries and other things, we use onion and garlic for steaks, lemon and pepper (but not salty lemon pepper) or salt-free rotisserie blend for chicken, etc. We use very little salt on things because there's so much salt in so many things.

Kris
  • BattyMama
    BattyMama Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a house with out the aid of salt we used fresh herbs garlic and peppers one that we went through the most was lemon pepper lemons and limes I never liked the taste of salt
  • Lolyballs
    Lolyballs Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    try a pinch of nutmeg in your veggies. My mom's doctor told her about this and it really is great. I use it all the time and nobody knows the difference. My friend uses Mrs Dash... they have several blends. I use all kinds of herbs and spices... my spice cabinet is full and I grow a lot of herbs and dry them myself. I just grab whatever I think might work with my meal.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Freshly ground peppercorns, garlic cloves (or powder) and onion or leek go a long way toward adding tasty flavours.

I also find that using fresh, freeze-dried or "wet" (the ones that come in tubes) herbs make a big taste impact when compared to dried. Fresh basil is my favourite: it works well with so many types of food! I look at a lot of Thai and Malay foods for inspiration for spice combinations, since they tend to have flavours that travel around the tongue when you savour a bite. Mmmm.

A tiny sprinkling of cayenne can add a bit of flavour without adding too much heat.

I tend to use a lot of low-sodium/MSG-free stocks in my cooking, which add a ton of flavour for very little salt (definitely check the label first, though. Some low-sodium stocks are actually pretty high in sodium.)
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of onion, onion powder, garlic and garlic powder on things that require salt. (Just depends on the food) Mrs. Dash makes some good product that will enhance the flavor of foods quite well.

I was one of those people that has to salt everything and craved salt all the time. Since i made the switch, I don't crave salt at all.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    MInced garlic, ground cumin, fresh ground black pepper, and I'm beginning to fall in love with Mrs. Dash, especially sprinkled on sliced potatoes, then baked. YUM!
  • Macknbee
    Macknbee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas guys!! I guess I just grew up in a household where salt was used heavily!! I have used the Mrs. Dash, and they just seem to smell really good, but not taste like much... I will keep trying, something will work!!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas guys!! I guess I just grew up in a household where salt was used heavily!! I have used the Mrs. Dash, and they just seem to smell really good, but not taste like much... I will keep trying, something will work!!

I was a heavy salt user until my teens, when I decided to swear off salt. I added salt to nothing, ate no salty snacks, and even ordered things in restaurants with no salt. By the end of 6 months, everything tasted wonderful and salt tasted like some strange chemical. I still can't eat fries with salt on them because the flavor is too strong. I recommend going "cold turkey" for a while, which will reawaken those taste buds and make it so just a little saltiness goes a long, long way.

Kris