I'm freezing!

Options
Ok, anyone else have this problem? I think I came out of the womb burning up. All my life I've been hot even sleeping with the windows open in the winter time. Now that I have lost weight, over 100 lb, I am cold all the time even in the summer. I find myself wearing long sleeve shirts to work because the air conditioning is set too high. Has anyone else had this problem after their weight loss? God bless!

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Yep, I end up wearing two fleeces in our air con offices. Cold all the time.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm cold all the time too but i've always been cold. I think it's pretty normal as someone who is of relatively normal body weight to be much colder than someone who is morbidly obese (100+ pounds over weight) simply because you have less insulating adipose tissue.
  • bossyfairy
    bossyfairy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Im hot all the time because I'm fat? Never realised that! Makes sense really!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think this is normal. You had a nice layer of fat keeping you warmer, now it's gone.
  • Nerdbear88
    Nerdbear88 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ditto that. I used to make fun of my husband because he was cold all the time while I was always comfortable or on the warm side. Now that I have lost 180 lbs I'm cold all the time. I can't stand to be under an air vent during the summer with the AC now when in the past it was my favorite place to sit. Even in a swimming pool I get really cold. Probably the one thing I wish didn't happen to me with my weight loss.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yep! I've had to be treated for hypothermia twice in swimming pools, can't cope with air con a lot of the time, can't stand and chat to people in the freezer aisle! I always have gloves with me, and lots of those hand warmers!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Reduced core temperature is often the result of a side effect of weight loss called adaptive thermogenesis.

Prolonged or steep or continuing deficits all have the potential to trigger a larger degree of adaptation.

Grin and bear it and hope that a long period of eating at maintenance or a very slightly elevated intake will mostly fix it (and for a lot of people it does).

Full weight regain +10% also fixes it...however it may be a fairly counterproductive and unwanted fix!!!!

If you're still trying to lose you may want to examine a diet break.

If you're done losing you may want to experiment with reverse dieting and figuring out your maximum maintenance.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Also, when overweight you tend to have higher blood pressure. Losing weight tends to lower it and that can lead to the cold feeling as well as the loss of insulating fat tissue. Your body will adjust eventually.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yes. I feel like a big baby. I always have goose bumps.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Most of us, it seems, lose weight and discover the reality of life without insulation. My feet can feel cold inside my shoes with thick socks.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 148lb and have hypothyroidism and im still always piggin hot.
    Its 1am here the windows are open, the fan is on and i cant sleep as its too hot ( the rooms 16 degrees Celsius
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 148lb and have hypothyroidism and im still always piggin hot.
    Its 1am here the windows are open, the fan is on and i cant sleep as its too hot ( the rooms 16 degrees Celsius

Good grief. That must be the worst! It's 26 Celsius in my house right now (35C outside) and I would be in heaven if it was 16 in here. I have a fan on and I could sleep... but the warbling sound of the fan in my ears makes me awake. I'm very jealous of your temperature.

I'm down nearly 60 pounds (30-40 to go) and the last time I was this low (5 years ago) I was terribly cold all of the time. It got so bad I cried when I got into bed at night because my cold bed made me colder and I couldn't manage to warm the bed up so I just stayed cold for hours.

I still feel "normal" this time and hope I keep it. I really hated being so cold!

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Always carry a sweater. That's what I do
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I keep my winter coat in my office and run a space heater all day (even when it is 80-90 outside because the a/c kills me). My co-workers mock me a little but I am not going to be miserable at work all day!