Scales

Options
I've been using my scale at home to track my weight. I weighed myself yesterday in my scaled and got 168.9 but went to the doctor today and they weighed me at 166. I'm not sure which scale is accurate

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The doctor's scale is probably more accurate - however, three pounds is well within the expected variation for a single day, due to water, stomach contents, and so on. You should use the scale you own to track your progress, since you can't visit the doctor every day. What matters isn't your exact weight but whether you are gaining or losing over time.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. It matters that you lose weight according to one of them. I guess you want to get thinner than you are now regardless of your "true" weight at the moment.

Most scales would show you slightly different readings from each other.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    It doesn't matter. It matters that you lose weight according to one of them.

This. Or, it matters that you track up or down trends according to one of them.

Think of it like a clock. The clock in your phone, the clock in your car dashboard, and the clock on the wall of the conference room at work or in your classroom probably do not all tell the exact same time. You may even know which one(s) tend to be fast and which one(s) tend to be behind. The important thing if you are trying to stay on schedule is that you are aware of the passage of time and whether you're in the ballpark or not.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Depends on time of day you were weighed on each, what you were wearing at each weigh in, as mentioned before, what you ate, water retention, etc. I generally take my scale as more accurate since I weigh in first thing in the morning after using bathroom with little to no clothing. I'm usually about 5-8lbs higher at dr with clothing and shoes alone plus appointments are usually well after I wake up, so meals and water added.

Consider these factors and see if you maintain the same difference within reason. As long as they're not both going in both directions and weird patterns it should be ok. If you have a manual scale, you could also take it with you and adjust it when you get weighed so you match their scale.

As mentioned before as long as one of them is tracking your trend that's what matters.
    AJ
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    The number doesn't matter, only the trend.
  • preshalin
    preshalin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    The number doesn't matter, only the trend.

^^This - If you are going to weigh yourself using a scale, I don't recommend doing it everyday especially if you feel demotivated if your weight changes. Your weight is fluctuates everyday - well more like it fluctuates throughout the day.

I weigh myself once a week. Same day, same time, same clothing. For me. So for me on a tuesday morning after going to the bathroom after I wake up. Then you watch the trend.
  • carolinelanewa
    carolinelanewa Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My PT would tell you to throw scales out. They can be soul destroying. Use measurements to track progress. Scales can make you think overnight you have put 2kg on if you have eaten carbs. Something salty will hold water put weight up. Even doing weights can put it up. She used to get hysterical txts from me until after 6 months she convinced me to get off them. I only weigh and measure once a month with her now. Having said that we are doing a trial for a month. No sugar, no potato, no pasta. My suggestion. Weighing everyday to see the trend, taking into account the exercise types ive done and food eaten. Trend so far is down on the scales. Cant wait for measurements on monday.