Meal Planning

Options
I am looking to start with meal planning. What are some online resources I can use to help make a plan for me? I've never done meal planning and wouldn't know what to do to help with weight loss. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    go read this article ... it's right here on MyFittnessPal
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/meal-planning-for-beginners/
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I use MFP; I log what I want to eat (a few days in advance, so that it's empty) and then basically create a meal plan idea - I can then see if it works for me (if I want to look at macros, for example) and if not, change it. It helps with making sure I eat items I already have at home and for me to know what I need to buy. There are probably other ways too, but you're already here, so why not? :smile:

If you mean more along the lines of "what should I eat?" then that's not something I can help with I'm afraid. I eat basically what I want to eat, with some limitations and with a view to get more protein (I'm a vegetarian and I lift so I have to keep an eye on it). But if you are doing it for weight loss, then the best thing is to figure out how you can eat the food you enjoy within your calories and not feel hungry.

• Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste is great for ideas.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you need a consistent calorie deficit. The calorie goal MFP gave you, has that deficit built in. If you eat, log and hit your goal every day, you will lose weight.

Maybe just eating and logging for while, is enough as a start. Then decide if you need a meal plan. Then google "meal plan" and "meal planning". There are free and paid programs that meal plan for you, there are free and not free meal plans online and in books, and there are techniques for meal planning, which of course, are free, and I think that's the best approach for most people. Beyond the basics of nutrition - which really are simple and not that difficult to learn - eating well is up to personal preference, and which foods are available, cooking skills and facilities, schedule, family and social life, will vary - you need to be flexible to accomodate for all that. No apps are better at this than the human brain.