Intermittent Fasting

Options
Anyone got any - thoughts ? opinions ? experiences ? advice ?.
It's something I'm very interested in giving a shot, but would greatly appreciate any help x

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Doing IF you still have to eat within calories. And any claims how it's healthier or somehow helps with medical problems or something that you might have heard or are going to hear while reading up on it are spurious at best and not supported by rigorous science.
    That's really all the advice you need on IF.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I am repeating myself, but if you are overweight and otherwise healthy IF can be a useful tool to stay within your calorie goal. Presuming the above, there's no reason not to try it.

You can try skipping or reducing breakfast, keep tracking and see if it helps you stay within program. It might take a few days to get used to it.

You can try a one day clear liquid fast, drinking approx 500 kcals of juice or broth in a day (actually 36hrs, dinner to breakfast). In theory, you could do this once a week, eat at maintenance or slightly below on the other days, and maintain a calorie defecit that way.

Really, you're just finding the most successful way for you to eat within your limits. It's not magic.

My only observation is that it is difficult to pair IF with an exercise program. I'm sure some do.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few IF protocols, which one are you interested in? I'm doing 16:8 or 18.6, it just means that I'm eating all my meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) within 6 or 8 hours, and nothing but water, coffee and tea between dinner and breakfast. It's very easy to do. I feel strong and energized, and eating like this has made me less obsessive about food and eating.

My advice would be to experiment, pay attention to how you feel, and stick to whatever eating pattern that feels good and natural to you. No meal schedule is objectively better, or healthier, or allows you to eat more food :D
  • sunshine12870
    sunshine12870 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few IF protocols, which one are you interested in? I'm doing 16:8 or 18.6, it just means that I'm eating all my meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) within 6 or 8 hours, and nothing but water, coffee and tea between dinner and breakfast. It's very easy to do. I feel strong and energized, and eating like this has made me less obsessive about food and eating.

My advice would be to experiment, pay attention to how you feel, and stick to whatever eating pattern that feels good and natural to you. No meal schedule is objectively better, or healthier, or allows you to eat more food :D

I was thinking of doing either the 16:8 or 24hrs twice a week. Tho maybe 24hrs is too much
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's something I'm very interested in giving a shot, but would greatly appreciate any help x

I do it. I love it. It's a great way to organize my eating habits. And there are a million different ways to do it, depending on what best fits your personality and how you organize your life.

IME, doing something like 16:8 is easier if it's done full time instead of onsie-twosie here and there. But this is firmly in YMMV territory.
  • aeefsh84
    aeefsh84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The main reason for following a fasting diet (of which there are lots of versions) is to improve regulation of insulin levels by balancing times of feeding and fasting. Insulin is an anabolic hormone which promotes the storage of nutrients (including fat). When levels of insulin are high,
    like they are following a meal , we are not able to burn fat. Fasting for extended periods allows our insulin levels to drop, resulting in periods where we are able to use our body’s fat stores as energy. Fasting can therefore be beneficial for weight loss and for preventing insulin resistance; which is a key component of many health conditions.
    intermittent fasting meals plan
    The figures below demonstrate how our eating patterns influence our insulin levels, and as a result our ability to burn fat.
    http://www.makeahealthybody.tk/2017/05/intermittent-fasting-meals-plan.html
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    at 1200 cal/day I find eating 2 real meals a lot more pleasurable than 3 miniscule ones. I still have coffee in the am. I also have found that my ability to go without food has improved--when I started I was eating every 2-3 hours--a little hit of something or coffee. Now 16/8 is easy, i've done 20/4 and I am considering either 5:2 or alternate day fasting.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I like IF because it does control my calories. Without it I tend to overeat or always go over. Trying to get used to skipping breakfast though, and just having coffee.
  • sunshine12870
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

I do it. I love it. It's a great way to organize my eating habits. And there are a million different ways to do it, depending on what best fits your personality and how you organize your life.

IME, doing something like 16:8 is easier if it's done full time instead of onsie-twosie here and there. But this is firmly in YMMV territory.

When you say 16:8 full time...do you mean doing that every single day of the week ?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

When you say 16:8 full time...do you mean doing that every single day of the week ?

Yep - everyday! I personally prefer 18:6, but it's all just personal preference at that point.
  • Tapout112009
    Tapout112009 Posts: 109 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I love IF. Almost feel weird the days I don't do it now. And you don't have to bring 10 diff meals to work or wherever.
  • Sassifrass76
    Sassifrass76 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I go a little further doing 36/12. It makes people upset, but it is my routine and it works for me and my dr. approves so I just let any negativity about it go in one ear and out the other. It is intermittent fasting, just over the course of two days.

It goes by many other names alternate day fasting (adf), every other day, JUDDD, eat stop eat. Whatever you call it, doesn't matter. It is just a tool that helps me to control my calorie intake. I can't do 1200 a day, it makes me hangry, but eating like a normal person every other day I can do and stick with long term.

Now, don't get me wrong, it is not a complete fast. During the 36 hours I will have something tiny. A protein shake, a very small meal like a couple hundred calories, or an egg or two. I have done the full fast with nothing but zero calorie drinks and it is difficult but doable. I find for me personally that something tiny works best. I use the juddd calculator as a guide and so far am down over 40# since I started at the beginning of march.

Op, you just need to experiment and find what works best for you. Finding something that you can do long term that puts you in a deficit is the key. What works for others may or may not be what you want to do. All you can do is try it and see.

Good luck =)
  • sunshine12870
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and opinions, all very helpful.
    I have now done the 16:8 twice in the week, found it very easy but not sure if there is any benefit to doing a 16:8 twice a week or if that particular one has to be an every day thing.
    I may now next week try 24hrs fasting see how that goes and if I'm ok with that maybe do that twice a week
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and opinions, all very helpful.
    I have now done the 16:8 twice in the week, found it very easy but not sure if there is any benefit to doing a 16:8 twice a week or if that particular one has to be an every day thing.
    I may now next week try 24hrs fasting see how that goes and if I'm ok with that maybe do that twice a week

16:8 is meant to be every day (missing a few here and there is not a big deal) but I don't think doing it 2x a week is going to generate any benefits. If you do the 24 hr fast, I've only seen those recommended 1x week. Twice a week might be a bit much.
  • locadeatar
    locadeatar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started doing IF without even knowing it was a thing. I just started a new job, so I couldn't find the time to eat a proper lunch (and I have always skipped breakfast any way). This had me stretching out my fasting time to 20 hours instead of my usual 12.
    I have noticed that it has helped in keeping my calorie intake in line immensely and as a result, I have dropped 10+ pounds in the last month (and that's taking into account the fact that it took me 1.5 years to lose the first 40 pounds).
    So, I say that it has been quite beneficial to my weight loss journey overall.