Salad help

Mizzy58
Mizzy58 Posts: 47 Member
I usually make a salad with my meals. I use whatever vegies I have handy. So this changes most days. What is the best way to log this? Should I just choose a garden salad and go with the amount or put each ingredient in every time. I was going to make a recipe, but like I said it changes a lot. This is so frustrating and time consuming to put each ingredient in. There has to be an easier way to log this. And vegies have hardly no calories.

Replies

• mfstew2007
    mfstew2007 Posts: 7 Member
    i just use a garden salad. if i add something special...chicken...beans etc, i log those separate
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I put in every ingredient, once you have them all in your database it will be quick. You can also copy from another date and them just delete what you didn't use or add what you did.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,193 Member
    I made up a "salad veggies mix" MFP "recipe" that I use to cover this ground, using the most typical contents and proportions I often use (tomato, cuke, peppers, onion/scallion, etc.), then log the number of servings I ate. The actual composition doesn't change the counts all that much to throw your daily macros out of kilter, and I don't include dressings in the mix recipe, logging them as individual ingredients. If I add something a bit more caloric or unusual (bacon and avocado, pasta and croutons, I'm lookin' at ya!), then they get added separately. Likewise, when I buff up a veggie salad with proteins (HB eggs, chicken, etc.), they are added separately. This approach works for me and I don't go crazy with the bookkeeping.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I weigh and log everything individually... My salads can be up to 1kg of ingredients, there's no way I'm not logging them!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I put in every ingredient, once you have them all in your database it will be quick. You can also copy from another date and them just delete what you didn't use or add what you did.

This ^^

They are then there in your diary so you just need to alter the weight each day.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    I logged all the variations I would normally have in a regular salad with dinner on an empty meal, and saved it all as a meal (including the 4 types of dressing I normally use) Then when I want to log a salad, I'll log the meal and delete the things I didn't include. I find it easier that way since I'm basically a creature of habit and don't change the ingredients *too* much day to day.
  • Mizzy58
    Mizzy58 Posts: 47 Member
    Very good suggestions here. Thank you
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    I weigh and log every ingredient
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    I put in every ingredient. I stopped weighing my leafy greens but I still enter them by the gram because I'm used to seeing what 185 grams looks like. But yeah...all tomato, cucumber etc is weighed and entered separately.