Any vegans or vegetarians?

Options
2»

Replies

• AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I veryyyy recently became vegan because I have a multitude of digestive issues including lactose intolerance, gerd, diverticulitis, & a gluten intolerance (the only change is removing fish & poultry so not a big stretch) looking for more vegan / vegetarian friends to support each other.
  • CeciliaBobilia
    CeciliaBobilia Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am also transitioning to a vegan diet and will hopefully be green-blooded by the start of 2018. I have been pescatarian for 12yrs and presently limit dairy (though tomorrow is pizza day) and eat eggs from chickens I help raise. About 70% of my meals are vegan and I keep an open diary for friends, so feel free to add me for ideas.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am MOSTLY vegetarian leaning towards vegan (I still will eat the occasional sushi, but it's getting less and less often). I don't eat a lot of dairy and almost none at home, but still partake in butter occasionally and can't quite kick the cheese habit. Those are basically the only two types of dairy that don't cause issues with me digestion anyway.

I don't have anything near as severe as Crohn's, but when I'm eating well and mostly plant based, I feel SO much better and see a lot of improvements- better skin, fewer headaches, better stomach, better muscle recovery. All sorts of good things.
  • Loganhautamaki
    Loganhautamaki Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, it's awesome to see so many people giving a plant based diet a chance. I was diagnosed with crohns 20 years ago. I want to emphasize that for me, and everyone is different, I believe eating plant based has helped me keep it in remission for the last 15 years with no medication. Again, everyone is different, and bodies react different. But, I try to include as many anti inflammatory foods as I can in to my diet, control stress, and exercise. Best of luck to you. I just wanted to say being plant based and having crohns is doable.
  • hiijinx
    hiijinx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Pescitarian here though I was vegan for a year or so. Still eat a largely plant based diet but eat the occasional dairy/fish as a treat.

• lilyflor
    lilyflor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Been vegan for over 6 years! You may add me if you wish or anyone reading that may want more vegan friends!
  • kalinlove
    kalinlove Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to a plant-based diet. I was listening to book The 22-Day Revolution by Marco Borges and he made a great point that I'm going to sum up:
    A vegan diet includes vegan processed junk food, a plant-based diet is a diet from plants. I was a vegetarian for 3 years in college and weighed the most I ever had. Loading up on pizza, pasta, rice, french fries, fake meat products, etc. is technically vegetarian (and sometimes vegan) but it's not healthy.

Now I'm doing it the right way and I feel amazing on a plant-based diet- my skin and hair are glowing. I have more energy, I'm more positive, and my workouts have improved. I'm probably 98% vegan/plant based and 2% human error/indulgence :) I don't want to deprive myself because I don't want this to be a diet trend but a whole lifestyle change.

Does it come from a plant? Eat it.
    Is it made in a plant? Don't eat it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    kalinlove wrote: »
    I recently switched to a plant-based diet. I was listening to book The 22-Day Revolution by Marco Borges and he made a great point that I'm going to sum up:
    A vegan diet includes vegan processed junk food, a plant-based diet is a diet from plants. I was a vegetarian for 3 years in college and weighed the most I ever had. Loading up on pizza, pasta, rice, french fries, fake meat products, etc. is technically vegetarian (and sometimes vegan) but it's not healthy.

Now I'm doing it the right way and I feel amazing on a plant-based diet- my skin and hair are glowing. I have more energy, I'm more positive, and my workouts have improved. I'm probably 98% vegan/plant based and 2% human error/indulgence :) I don't want to deprive myself because I don't want this to be a diet trend but a whole lifestyle change.

Does it come from a plant? Eat it.
    Is it made in a plant? Don't eat it.

The pizza, pasta, rice, potatoes, and faux meat I eat all come from plants. And none of it makes me unhealthy. These foods aren't "technically" vegan, they are vegan, full stop.
  • Hipp706
    Hipp706 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone :smile: I'm vegan - will be my 2yr anniversary at the end of August. I was vegetarian from the age of 14 to 34 then saw the light
  • LaineyVAhimsa
    LaineyVAhimsa Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I am vegan, I am also eating low carb which is a bit different to most vegans :) feel free to add me!
  • mgesa1227
    mgesa1227 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 years old and decided to become vegan 13 days ago. Loving every second of it! I also watched 'What the Health' recently and have Diabetes. Would definitely like for that to go away and if being vegan can help along with exercise, I don't see any cons.
  • deekayg
    deekayg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    First time posting, pescatarian for 6.5 years now!
  • Amyfinch0
    Amyfinch0 Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Love this thread! Vegans and vegetarians with open diaries, add me!

I went vegetarian 2 1/2 years ago for ethical reasons (it was when Facebook videos played automatically, and I was forced to acknowledge the abuse that went on in slaughter houses). I lived on pasta and cheese for a long time - learning to eat vegetables, fruits, grains and other whole foods was an education I didn't expect to happen. That education is ongoing and I'm happier all the time.

Most days I end up eating vegan simply because the lower calorie the food, the more of it I can have! So I avoid cheese and milk just so I can keep stuffing my face. :#
  • MobOfBricks
    MobOfBricks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    New to veganism here (30 days tomorrow).

I am Greek so I am used to eating a lot of plants in different ways. My problem is the social aspect. Participating in lunches/dinners with friends/co-workers/clients, celebrations/parties. But I ll get used to it at some point.

I am in my 40s so I have eaten my share of pigs, cows, lambs and goats, even rabbits and all kinds of birds because I developed a taste for it very young.

My reasons for deciding to embrace this new lifestyle is:
    to become more ethical and less of a hypocrite (I 've been an environmental activist for over 15 years)
    my concern about the environment
    and if my health improves, that would be the cherry on top.

I dont have any health issues yet (that I know of) but I need to lose another 15 lbs
  • MissContortifid
    MissContortifid Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for approximately 8 years. I'm looking to lose 80 pounds. Would love to add other plant based people especially if you have an open diary!