Slimmer Calves

Options
sovannac
sovannac Posts: 445 Member
Any ideas of how to get slimmer calves? I have these monster calves and it makes shopping for boots difficult! I guess you would describe them as soccer legs, which I know a lot of guys like but I would like to make zipping up boots a little easier!

Thanks!

Replies

• almondbliss
    almondbliss Posts: 115
    Options
    Bump
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I wore boots this past year for the first time in probably 10 years! I started jogging, but I think it was just losing in general that got them there. I've always had thick legs and they were the LAST place I lost! Good luck!!
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Argh! I've got soccer legs too and I really wish my calves were slimmer. I've never worn boots before. I want some nice below the knee boots.
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    I don't know, but if you find the secret let me know! I can never zip up knee high boots! Who do they make those things for anyway? LOL
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Same here! I used to wear them pre kids now my calves are huge..!! I would love to be able to wear them again!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    lol... i don't think it's really possible to lose that much if youre already thin-- which you look like in your photo.

Calf sizes are pretty genetic. I am thin. My waist is 24.5 inches and my calves are 14.25... My thighs are 19 at the biggest, but my calves are 14.25... my wrist is even 5.25 inches... I have a very small frame, but my calves will probably always be big, and i'm okay with that. I learned to accept it!

<3
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Your post just reminded me of this time I went shoe shopping.. I came across these nice boots and was trying them on but the zipper didn't want to zip all the way :embarassed: The lady there made it worse and said, " you have a leg problem" I was sooo embarrassed. Anyways lol... my calves got smaller as I lost weight but I dont think there was anything specific that did it. We cant spot reduce where we lose fat.. it just falls off where ever it feels like lol.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Sorry ladies, but if you've lost a lot of weight recently, those calves will take a while to catch up!

Those calves got HUGE when they carried a lot of weight around! Just look at any after pictures from the biggest loser! They look great, but holy calves batman!

Just give it time, and keep the weight off!

Also, now you know how to spot a fellow lifestyle changer! You see someone who looks good, but has big calves on the street, you know they were once in the same boat!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    My calves used to be so big that I would have to sleep with them wrapped in Ace bandages the night before a horse show in order to be able to get my English riding boots on, so I know the frustration.

Over the years I've heard various explanations for why some of us have big calves and others don't: genetics, hormonal variations, fat storage, slow twitch vs fast twitch muscle usage, etc.

Google "calve slimming exercises" and check it out.

Now I'm almost 50, and finally have calves that I consider "nice" enough to show off with dresses and skirts. But I really couldn't tell you whether it's due to hormonal changes (perimenopause) or the fact that I've been walking/elliptical working my legs for about 10 miles a day for the past 3 years. ::shrug::
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I used to have to buy boots from Duo, and online company that sells them by calf size. One of the first signs that I noticed when starting to lose weight was that they become too baggy!

So, the good news, is, your calves will get slimmer, as you lose weight.
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've always had hefty legs, even when I was at my skinniest. Now that I'm working out, I've added a lot of muscle there. (In fact, while all of my other numbers have gone down, some way down, my thighs measured higher last time I did measurements.)

I've just accepted that I'll always have strong legs and left it at that. They're much more toned than they've been in who knows how long.

I have been boots advertised as "wide leg" so that may be an option for us.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your responses! I figured those were the answers I was going to get. Even at my thinnest, I've had bulky calves and I know everyone says its genetics and when I look at my parents legs, I wonder which side because they have some tiny legs! Oh well, I'll continue to try to lose weight and hopefully there will be a day where I can wear boots without my calves suffocating!
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    @ Aj_rock:
    Thats not always true. I had skinny calves when I was heavy and still have skinny calves. im always trying to make mine bigger!