Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Protein Powders- Plant or Whey protein?

raven56706
raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
Which one do you like? are there advantages from one or the other?

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Whey seems to be a lot cheaper and taste better. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard is my favorite.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    I've also found whey to taste better, especially once you've factors in cost.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    protein is just a supplement for me.

i dont really care about the costs just the one that has less artificial *kitten* in it
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    I have seen answers here such as "veggie protein makes me puke". I think it was related to pea proteins. Just in case you want to try that. As for added ingredients, careegenan makes some people sick. Here is a site that shows ingredients added to top selling powders http://nutritionbeast.com/2013/10/whey-protein-additives-ingredients/
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    All the plant proteins I've tried taste worse than whey and have a grittier texture that I don't like. I quit experimenting and just stick with whey.
  • amyjfitness_
    amyjfitness_ Posts: 2 Member
    I use whey protein from my protein and it tastes amazing and it helps heighten my protein intake
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I use both. Mainly whey, but I use pea protein in my waffles and hemp in one of my smoothie recipes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I need something that tastes good, so that cancels out plant protein powders :confounded:
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Make sure you check the amount of cholesterol in the Whey protein. I had a cyclist friend whose cholesterol went through the roof from whey protein powders.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Whey. I'm allergic to soy and hate pea.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Whey is often too sweet for me (in the wrong kind of way), but I rather have that than vegan ones I have tried (such as pea). I find it easier to drink whey when mixed with water rather than milk though. I would suggest whey - more options, cheaper etc.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I like them both and have tried them all. Quest is my favorite Whey, very sweet like dessert. PlantFusion Lean is IMO the best taste and texture for plant-based. Some are really awful!
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2017
    If the plant based didn't contain spirulina and/or chlorella, I probably would use. Unfortunately, thanks to Vega One, I learned several years ago that both critters cause vomiting and...intestinal distress...for me. Like a bad cause of cholera, to play on words.

I also suspect a recent facial dermatitis allergic rash reaction I had was due to chia seeds (that and truffle oil were the only two things I ate that day I'd never eaten before and could find no anecdotes of truffle oil causing what I experienced), so I am avoiding chia for now too. Which is popping up in freaking everything, for the record. :\ Not in a rush to repeat the exposure and see if the same results happen as it was gross and took over a week to clear.

As such, stick to milk based as dairy has never done me wrong, casein/whey combo preferably. I keep looking at rice based but have not tried yet.
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Plant based smells like fish food. The only way I could choke it down was with a lot of ice in a smoothie with a straw. Whey doesn't always taste good, but can be easily hidden in things like coffee.

If its just a supplement for you and you care not about the cost, and you want it to be fairly natural, why not just eat a lot of chicken or greek yogurt?
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited July 2017
    Whey concentrate is less expensive than other types and has more of the amino acid L-Leucine than plant-based powders - which is a key for efficient muscle protein synthesis.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Wow... a lot of hate on the plant protein. I couldn't digest whey very well and thought it tasted gross. I adore my Naturade pea protein (chocolate or vanilla). I'll admit, I'm not wild about the texture just blended with milk or something, but love it with a frozen banana. I just bought a 20 oz container on Amazon for $17.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    whey protein isolate is what i do. i'm lactose intolerant and this is 99% lactose free, has a good texture and flavor options.

As much as i would love for a plant based protein to blow me away all the ones i've tried have had problems that made them nearly inedible (from grainy/gritty texture to bad flavors to price to poor mixability). As a vegetarian who would love to support a plant-based protein powder.... i just can't lie and say they're just as good because they arent.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i've never found a plant-based protein i liked. hemp almost worked for me for a while, but the moment i looked away i lost the ability to tolerate it and never got it back.

i get whey isolate from canadianprotein.com. isolate because i'm lactose-intolerant, or i wouldn't bother
  • sydneyspann
    sydneyspann Posts: 12 Member
    Whey protein is better for building muscle than plant protein. I honestly only think you should use plant protein if you are vegan/vegetarian or cannot use whey