Setting macros

garydean12
garydean12 Posts: 2 Member
Hi does anyone know what I need to be setting my protein carbs and fats at? I haven't a clue I'm new to this xx

Replies

• SimplyDe1967
    SimplyDe1967 Posts: 25 Member
    This is what I follow. Enter in your individual information and you get an email with the detail of how many mg you get for protein, carbs, fats, and calories.
    https://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator-v2/
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    MFP does it for you - 20% protein 30% fat 50% carbs
  • marthall
    marthall Posts: 96 Member
    edited July 2017
    Look at the Goals Menu. MFP will ask you some questions and set it up for you.

However MFP defaults to a pretty standard balanced diet which may not be what you want. Cutting Calories will lead to loosing weight but a lot of people choose specific types of diets such as low fat, or low Carb.

If you do want to track Macro's based on a different ratio to the MFP default then you need an estimate of you base metabolic rate (BMR) and know what Macro's you want to aim for. MFP or many other internet websites will give you BMR, and calorie estimates for your goal (eg loose 0.5Kg per week). Try several and compare the results and go for something in the middle.

For example I decided I wanted to follow a lower carb (but not very low carb or Keto) diet. I'm also fairly average so maintenance calories should be 2400-2500 and I want to target -500 per day (for 1lb weight loss per week).

If you want something different from the MFP defaults, you then go to Goals in MFP and then edit your daily nutritional goals. I set Calories at 2000, Carbs at 30%, Fat at 50% and Protein at 20%.

Be wary of some entries in the MFP database that have calories correct, but don't have the correct macro details.

Good Luck