A what point does the rate of weight loss slow down? 5,10 or 20lbs to your goal?

Options
I'm curious if it varies based on your body shape and not necessarily how much pounds you have to lose. I still have to lose 17.5lbs to reach my normal BMI, but my rate of loss has decreased. Based on the threads I've been reading I assumed it's 10lbs remaining. I'm not sure why my rate of loss slowed since I still have much to lose. I'm still losing inches which is odd since all I do is cardio and no weight training.

Replies

• taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You really should be adjusting your weekly weight loss targets down as you lose weight. In reality, your weight loss shouldn't slow if you continue to update your caloric goal based on whatever you had it previously set to. If you don't lower it as you lose wieght, your loss will slow since your deficit is not as high. As you lose weight your TDEE also drops. You burn more calories the heavier you are. Here is a good breakdown I found a few years back here on MFP.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Have you recalculated your calories recently?

Rate of loss shouldn't slow down unless you slow it down yourself.
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    taziarj wrote: »
    You really should be adjusting your weekly weight loss targets down as you lose weight. In reality, your weight loss shouldn't slow if you continue to update your caloric goal based on whatever you had it previously set to. If you don't lower it as you lose wieght, your loss will slow since your deficit is not as high. As you lose weight your TDEE also drops. You burn more calories the heavier you are. Here is a good breakdown I found a few years back here on MFP.

Thanks, this was very helpful.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    taziarj wrote: »

This is a good guideline, but makes assumptions about where your ultimate target is. I fully expect to retain the ability to lose 2 lbs per week all the way to my goal. But my goal isn't "normal" BMI. It's higher. IF your goal is on the low side of BW/BF for your height, then you may hit a point where you're losing less than 1 lb every 5 weeks.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Up until the last 15 lbs or so, I lost on average 1% bodyweight per week. At that point I struggled to keep a deficit large enough to lose 1% per week.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It has more to do with how much body fat you have to mobilize...I typically lose weight pretty easily until I'm down to 12-15%.
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    This seems ridiculous to me, because people have goal weights. Two people with identical bodies may have different goals- one wants to be 170lbs and the other wants to be 130lbs- the person who wants to be 130lbs will probably have a harder time losing the last few pounds.
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It is perfectly normal for your rate of loss to decrease as you near your target weight. With only 17.5 lbs to go, it could take some time. Just be patient. It will eventually come off. Keep the faith.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!