Grocery List

Options
Okay so starting to compile a "healthy" grocery list to do my first big grocery shop....problem is I don't know where to even start.

Do you folks have any suggestions/tips on what to do?? What works out for you??

All the help is greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I look up recipes and go from there :]

might be a good idea just to go into your local grocery store and spend some time looking around to see what kind of healthy things there are to offer :]

I found a lot of new stuff that way!
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    I cannot encourage you too much to plan your meals. Figure out what you want to eat and make for the week. This helps prevent you from grabbing something quick because you don't know what you got. I also think it is important to really try to stick with the fruits, veggies, lean proteins, beans, lentils, and other simple foods like that. Fresh is always better. The other thing for me is to avoid as much preprocessed food as possible. There usually is lots of sodium and other hidden danger zones in them. Do not cut all the fat out of your body. Your body needs healthy fats.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    http://jaabeemom.blogspot.com/2010/03/notebook.html

I confess I get a little (ok VERY) neurotic about groceries. My list is made to reflect the layout of the store and then when I put things on the conveyor belt it's grouped together for easy packing (fruits/veggies, cold stuff, cans and boxes). I insist on packing my own bins and I have mesh drawstring bags I use for produce because I hate plastic.

But the biggest thing is to follow the 3 basic steps.

1) check what you already have in stock
    2) meal plan for a week (or however long you plan to buy for)
    3) make a list and check things off at the store.

Good luck!
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Skinny cow ice cream

Laughing cow cheese

Dark chocolate almond milk (Love it in my coffee)

Lavash bread (low cal wrap)

boca burgers

mustard- a really great tasting one like Grey Poupon (instead of mayo)

Sugar snap peas (cook'em or eat'em raw -YUM)
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I don't know what foods you like/dislike....but the majority of my cart consists of fruits & veggies. Really. My main "go-to" meal when it's going to be supper for one is a but of cut up veggies: red pepper, edamame soybeans, zucchini, tomato, asparagus - really whatever I have on hand...sautee that up & eat it either by itself, or put a little feta on it, or w/ a piece of salmon, or w/ noodles & light alfredo sauce.

And fruit I just love! Pretty much any & all kinds...
  • cjcarson87
    cjcarson87 Posts: 31
    Options
    I try to figure out and plan a healthy meal list for dinner through out the week. Also I plan ahead what Im going to do for lunch and breakfast. If you know exactly what to get for each recipie than your on a mission at the store and not looking around wandering and leaving yourself open for oppurtunities to buy bad food. Im the type where if its in my house than I will eat it lol so I try and only have the foods I need for meals and healthy snack around.
  • Lemonaiding
    Lemonaiding Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I make my lists by department. Such as produce, dairy, meats, grains and whatever other categories interest you. The layout of the grocery store is simple. The outlying areas are generally whole foods that are healthy. Try to avoid the middle aisles that are filled with processed foods. Produce is a great area to start followed by meats and dairy. Keep in mind that what is in season for produce tends to be on sale and tastes the best. Best of luck!
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I usually start my weekly shopping at the farmer's market. Getting produce that is fresh and seasonal is always affordable there and I love having a relationship with the people who grow my food. Once I stock up on produce I form my menu for the upcoming week and make my list from there. The more fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains that you can fit in there, the better. I recommend going to the grocery after a good meal too because it makes the snacky snacks far more resistable.
  • CindyWard4u
    CindyWard4u Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I create a healthy menu based on my calorie goal....then I build my grocery list from that. I typically eat the same things for breakfast and snacks and vary my lunch and dinner protein options just so I don't get overly bored. Every couple of weeks I may mix up my snack options to stay fresh as well.

Try to not purchase to many fresh fruits and veggies at once....they tend to go bad after a few days and you don't want to waste money. Get 2-3 days worth and plan another quick stop at the store throughout the week. Or go with frozen veggies and fruits. :)

The outter ring of the store is your friend...the aisles are not so friendly....that is where all the processed garbage lives.
  • asiavenetia
    asiavenetia Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi there- It really helps to plan your list around the meals you plan to have over the next week- so maybe start with planning a couple of meals/ lunches I usually start with fruits and veggies. From there think about what types of meals you can make that you can have for a couple of night/ lunches. Chicken, fish, etc. Stock up on water-fruits- veggies and lean meats! Happy shopping!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone called "shop shop" and I put things on it as I realize I need them.... then I check them off in the app while I'm shopping.

Here are my "always have" items.... I barely need a list anymore!

Fage 0% Greek Yogurt (tons of it!)
    Shrimp -- cooked, peeled, deveined
    Jenni-O Turkey breast or pot-roast
    Quinoa
    Bistro Sensations Chicken Artichoke, garlic and Mozzarella sausage
    Silk Pure Almond Milk (35 cals a cup)
    Steel cut oats
    Eggs
    Chopped walnuts, almonds
    Truvia, Agave
    Cheese (my biggest problem! but the new WW string cheese is actually really good)
    Cottage Cheese
    Zucchini, Mushrooms, Onions, Eggplant, Cabbage
    Refried Beans,
    Thomas Everything Bagel Thins
    COFFEE

I'm single so I don't have to worry about what anyone else wants to eat..... so I just eat what I want and I don't buy crap that I know I will snack on.... well, not very often anyway :) I make things in bulk and then put them right in individual serving sizes so I have 6 or 7 quick grab meals at any given time.
  • Veggychick
    Veggychick Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You really want to make sure you have plenty of food you will eat. I always make sure to stock up on fruit, veggies, some kind of grain like brown rice or quinoa, protein (I am a veggie so tofu for me but any lean meat will do). And healthy snacks like carrots, yogurt, crackers. You can make many great recipes with this and it will all fill u up. Also, maybe somewhat plan your meals so you have an idea of the fruits and veggies you will need :)

Good luck!
  • mspix
    mspix Posts: 153
    Options
    Start with lots of produce...I spend a lot of time in that section of my store. Salad is a staple in my house, lol. A typical one has romaine, green onion, tomato, cucumber, red bell pepper, radishes, parsley, celery and carrots.

Add some fresh fruit; apples, grapes, melons etc.

Then hit the meat counter for some chicken, fish, lean beef.

I keep canned black beans on hand, as well as brown rice.

Try to stick to the outer perimeter of the store, the aisles in the center tend to be stocked with less than healthy choices.

Hope that helps! Good luck, and congrats on starting your journey!
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this helps but here are my must haves: Fat free plain Greek yogurt, blueberries/strawberries, any fresh fruits and vegetables, brown rice, wheat berries, mixed greens, tzatziki, oatmeal, chicken, turkey, salmon, tuna fish, 60 calorie fudgesicles, skinny cow ice cream sandwhiches, 100% whole wheat La Tortilla factory tortillas for wraps. From this core list I can make any meal needed for my eating plan. Occassionally, I have whole wheat pasta but not very often and then only about a cup mixed with veggies. I basically eat only whole foods as you can tell from this list. Happy shopping and cooking!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Try to plan meals ahead of time by using the store sales flyer you get in the mail. You'll save money, but also know which items to add to your list ahead of time so you'll do less impulse buying.

Another tip is to stay on the outside aisles of the store. That's where you'll find produce, meat, dairy, etc. All the processed food is in the inner aisles of the store, so try to avoid them when you can.

My go to items are fruit and veggies, oatmeal, Greek yogurt, milk, eggs, 100 calorie bagel thins, natural peanut butter, graham crackers and meat.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    For me, it helps to decide what I'm going to have and then buy for it. I leave the veggie and fruit selection up to what's in season.

I may decide to have ham and swiss wraps for lunch, and then dinner of 1-shrimp, 2-beef, 3-chicken, 4-eggs, 5-veggie burger, 6-homemade pizza, and 7-ham, and always keep a bit of brown rice, pasta, and a couple of potatoes on hand. Stock up on plenty of veggies and fruit and buy some eggs, greek yogurt, and milk. I buy in bulk and then package into 1 serving size packages of 4 oz ea. So I just check my stock before I go shopping and replenish anything getting low.
  • nannadawninsc
    nannadawninsc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I basically shop the perimeter of the store for groceries - stay away from the isles. You will notice you go from produce to meat/fish, to dairy. The only red meats I eat are grass-fed free-range bison, london broil (2nd best) and top round (3rd best). Get the butcher to do the work for you - have him cut the meat or grind it however you want it. Also eat all meat grilled. Try grilling your veggies on the outside grill- yum! If must cook veggies, always steam. No processed food as I'm sure you heard many times before. I shop and cook all day saturday for my weekly lunches/dinners as I work 2 jobs and don't have time for nighttime cooking. Check out www.fibergourmet.com for light pastas with half days supply of fiber/half the calories. Better than wheat pasta, even. They also have cheese and wheat crakers with fiber and low cal (50 calories compared to doulbe that for Cheez-its and the same size serving!) Also, check out www.westernbagel.com - but only purchase the "alternative" varieties of pitas, bagels, english muffins. Other than that the only "bread" I eat is Ole Extreme Fitness high fiber, low carb wraps that you can get at Wal-Mart or most grocery stores. They are BIG and have only 71 calories, 12 g fiber, 8 g protein, no lard and have omega-3. During TG I use Ezekiel bread to make stuffing, if you like stuffing. I use light Nayonaise, in limited amounts, instead of Mayo (found in the produce section with tofu). It's a soy product but I think it's really good. I eat the whole grain mustard. Not many condements - use a lot of fresh salsa for that and every once in a while will use the 100 calorie wholly guacamole packs - a good fat. They are convenient because you get 1 serving w/o the rest turning black. Comes 6 in a pack, I think. Hope this helps. The online things can be expensive but if you subscribe to their newsleters they send announcements about sales and free shipping. This is getting wordy...better sign off for now. If I can think of anything else I'll write back. Oh yes - all dairy is fat-free and lots of Greek yogurt - plain. Add your own fruit - cheaper and better for you!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    A lot of people mention greek yogurt -- but please read the label!

If you see more sugar than protein -- its not the greek yogurt you want!
    It annoys me that they can trick people just by putting the word "Greek" on the label..

A good greek yogurt has at least 2 or 3 times as much protein as sugar...
  • lucasgirl
    lucasgirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cabbage. Its a great filler. I've learned to eat it like a salad, and its very good. I also live on the Oroweat Sanwich Thins. (I spread a little chive and onion cream cheese, a few slices of lunch meat and cheese or cream cheese, cheese, and 1 cooked egg).

Good luck with your shopping!
  • middleofseven
    Options
    Hi,
    Not on the issue of groceries. H 20 I just saw your pic as intro. It's like looking at my favorite cat. Shera. I had her for 18 years.
    Now back to groceries.

Thanks for your advice. I am learning so much just by keeping up with the message boards. Marian