Anybody else love using plain greek yogurt as a sour cream replacement?

Options
I just discovered this recently and I'm hooked!

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try it. I assume you mean low or zero fat yoghurt?
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I do... More so because we rarely eat anything with sour cream, my husband doesn't like it, and I couldn't justify buying a tub!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    We have been for quite awhile -- using the Trader Joe's whole milk Greek yogurt, which I love. Recently, hubby convinced me to try Daisy light sour cream. I'm usually against "light" food because I don't like things like xantham gum and other thickeners. Daisy "light" is just sour cream made with some skim milk. It's great and lower calorie than the whole milk yogurt!

According to Daisy's web site, their sour cream is in 90% of supermarkets in the US so it should be easy to find.
  • newstart1988
    newstart1988 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    I'll have to try it. I assume you mean low or zero fat yoghurt?

Yes
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    All the time. Even my kids prefer it.
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I do. I also use it to replace mayo. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, sour cream. I don 't find it a good replacement for mayo because it doesn't hold things together, like tuna salad. However, I did mix yogurt & avocado in the blender, and that gave me a yummy mixture that has enough substance it does bind salads together. It also makes a great dip! I thin it with a squeeze of lime or lemon juice.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You can also place any plain yogurt in a coffee filter lined strainer and cover in fridge over night. It will remove the extra water and make a thicker yogurt for sour cream. I use it as a replacement for sour cream in dips with veggies. My kids don't even notice.
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    yes, plain no fat greek yogurt ive made cucumber dill dips, and onion chipotle dips. :-)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've tried it. It's ok but flavor-wise IMO there's no substitute for real sour cream or even better creme fraiche. Butterfat rules for flavor and if you can spare the cals it always tastes much better.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I've tried it. It's ok but flavor-wise IMO there's no substitute for real sour cream or even better creme fraiche. Butterfat rules for flavor and if you can spare the cals it always tastes much better.

Love crèam fraîche!! Can make your own with Greek yogurt...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/how-to-make-creme-fraiche.html
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. We use sour cream and mayo more sparingly now, and I make extensive use of whole milk plain greek yogurt for salad dressing bases and more where either or both mayo or sour cream are called for. Yogurt-based items don't have as palatable of a long shelf life as mayo-based, because the whey liquid continues to separate from the solids, and the tartness starts to cure the veggies as time goes on (cole slaw and carrot salad should be used by next day, for example). We usually don't have this as a serious problem, since we go thru the made items quickly, and as far as separation, a re-mix usually helps there. I say "unpalatable" since the food is safe, just not attractive (I like to joke, "yogurt - hey, it's already spoiled!"). For quick consumption, say as a dollop of dairy in a bowl of gazpacho, there's no issues other than a small taste adjustment.

Made a batch of summer carrot-raisin salad this way on Friday evening. Eight people wiped it out with gusto.

I use whole milk greek yogurt or less often, lowfat, depending on what's available, but never no-fat. I also agree with sgt1372, above, that there are times where real sour cream, buttermilk, creme fraiche, mayo, etc., are irreplaceable. In the cooler months, I've made beef and chicken stroganoffs with good success both with yogurt or sour cream. So, it depends on your application, and your personal tastes.