Am I lightly active or active?

Options
In the app I set it up as lightly active, it set me at 1,620 calories. If I change it to active it gives me 1,920. But I don't know which one I am? I have an active job, on my feet moving boxes in a warehouse (FedEx) for 3-4 hours 5 days a week, I also workout after that (mix of FitnessBlender cardio and body weight routines). Most weeks I workout 6 days with one rest day. But since I work early morning, I'm active from about 4am-10am, then I usually spend the rest of the day sitting doing school. I feel like this would active instead of lightly active but I don't want to be eating too much.
If it matters, female, 22, weigh about 160.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Start with lightly active and eat the 1620 plus a portion of your exercise calories. Evaluate your loss over the next 4-6 weeks and if you lose faster than expected, move up to active.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You sound active to me, but if I were unsure, I'd just manually adjust he calorie goal to the average of the two numbers and adjust as needed after a couple weeks.
  • AngieC1994
    AngieC1994 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »
    You sound active to me, but if I were unsure, I'd just manually adjust he calorie goal to the average of the two numbers and adjust as needed after a couple weeks.

That's a good idea! I'll try that, thank you.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Your exercise does not count on MFP when you are setting your activity level because MFP intends you to add exercise to your exercise diary and then get calories added to your daily allotment based on the exercise activity, duration, etc. ... (cardio exercises). It really is based on your daytime activities such as do you walk all day because you are a postman or do you sit all day because you work an office-type job. Whatever you choose, remember that it is common and natural for people to underestimate how much they eat and overestimate how active they are. ... so try a setting, go with it for a month and see what the results were, then you can tweak or change the settings. ....
    .... and, it's not really a day-by-day thing with weight change because it takes time for your body to digest and use the food you consumed today ... it's really what happens over a period of time. .... so consistency is the key.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,604 Member
    Options
    MFP expects you to add your exercise separately.

Your warehouse job would probably qualify you as active or very active.
    Four hours of active walking a day blows through MFP's activity settings past very active.

Partially it depends if you work in place or move around the warehouse a lot.
    But handling boxes also adds to the activity load.
    As such I would not consider anything below active.

Exercise is separate.

Unless you have a large amount of weight to lose huge deficits may not be appropriate for your needs.
    With this amount of activity (i.e. high TDEE) and a smaller deficit. measuring your progress becomes an issue.

Patience, trending weight apps, careful measurement, and pictures are probably your friends.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Light active for work, then log your workouts separately.
  • PAV8888
    Options

3-4 hours a day of moving boxes in a Fed ex warehouse is "lightly" active?
  • AngieC1994
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    MFP expects you to add your exercise separately.

Your warehouse job would probably qualify you as active or very active.
    Four hours of active walking a day blows through MFP's activity settings past very active.

Partially it depends if you work in place or move around the warehouse a lot.
    But handling boxes also adds to the activity load.
    As such I would not consider anything below active.

Exercise is separate.

Unless you have a large amount of weight to lose huge deficits may not be appropriate for your needs.
    With this amount of activity (i.e. high TDEE) and a smaller deficit. measuring your progress becomes an issue.

Patience, trending weight apps, careful measurement, and pictures are probably your friends.

I rarely ever add my exercise into MFP, unless it's something like swimming or if go for a run, because I don't know how many calories I burn doing the FitnessBlender workouts, I just know they make me work and feel good lol

But I definitely get a lot of movement and lifting in at work. Mezzie1024 recommended averaging the two numbers MFP gave me, so I manually set it to 1,800, will keep up with this for a few weeks and see how I feel.
  • AngieC1994
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    You could be quasi-active. MFP told me I was psycho-active. :/

Is that what it tells you when you log workouts? I don't even know what quasi-active means lol

• SandraMcLeod72
    SandraMcLeod72 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can adjust whether to add exercise to your calorie count. I'd set yours to active & exclude exercise to the count to see how you go. I think there is a guide on the categories on the website. My understanding is lightly active is if you have a physical job but don't exercise, or you have a sedentary job but exercise 4-5 times a week. Very active is up there with the elite/competitive/professional training.
  • AngieC1994
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You could be quasi-active. MFP told me I was psycho-active. :/

Is that what it tells you when you log workouts? I don't even know what quasi-active means lol
    Sorry, I was just kidding.

Omg, I was so confused lol
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Since it isn't a full eight hours, that's why I recommended lightly active
  • PAV8888
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

We obviously have a different evaluation of what exhausts mfp's lightly vs active vs very active setting.

From personal experience 4 hours of purposeful walking exceeds very active which is only a multiplier of 1.8

Lightly active is achieved with as little as 1.5 hours of non sedentary activity.

4 hours of moving boxes at a guess would be similar to four hours of purposeful walking....

A simple pedometer would answer a lot of the OP's questions.

If she uses her phone and is hitting north of 7500 steps she is past lightly active. Past 12.5k she is past active.

Again, of course, the results will vary based on intake logging and how close to average she is.

Adjusting after a few weeks is the right thing to do.

Aiming to meet as opposed to exceed targets is also not necessarily the wrong thing to do, especially if the OP is not obese.
  • AngieC1994
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

We obviously have a different evaluation of what exhausts mfp's lightly vs active vs very active setting.

From personal experience 4 hours of purposeful walking exceeds very active which is only a multiplier of 1.8

Lightly active is achieved with as little as 1.5 hours of non sedentary activity.

4 hours of moving boxes at a guess would be similar to four hours of purposeful walking....

A simple pedometer would answer a lot of the OP's questions.

If she uses her phone and is hitting north of 7500 steps she is past lightly active. Past 12.5k she is past active.

Again, of course, the results will vary based on intake logging and how close to average she is.

Adjusting after a few weeks is the right thing to do.

Aiming to meet as opposed to exceed targets is also not necessarily the wrong thing to do, especially if the OP is not obese.

Not allowed to take my phone into work anymore, but I have before and it's definitely upwards of 7,500 steps. I should look into getting a pedometer though, used to use a Fitbit but it wasn't very accurate because sometimes I'd be standing still but using my arms a lot and it thought I was walking, the thing was telling me to eat like 3,000 calories a day lol

Also, not obese, just don't want to be overeating or eating too little (couldn't keep myself accountable with 1600 because I was still so hungry).
  • newlark01
    newlark01 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I would try using a weight tracking app like happy scale and log every day for a few weeks - it gives you a moving average of your weight loss so you can see over time what your loss per week is - mine is settling at 1.6 lbs per week and mfp is set at 1 lb per week loss so I assume I'm more then 'lightly active' by the mfp definition (I walk children to school and back each day and am often on my feet around the house, doing shopping etc - usually around 12000 steps or more.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I've done warehouse work like that before, and I ended up buying new clothes within a month, including a pair of jeans that I only got back into last week!

Go with Active. If you scrupulously log and don't lose weight at all, then reduce it to lightly active, but I bet you won't have to!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    As you are purposefully under logging your exercise then would suggest start with the higher activity level and trial that amount for a month.
    Then adjust calorie goal manually based on results.