How to re-moviate yourself after a fight?

Options
The past few days one of my family members who I have never had a good relationship has been chewing into me about my weight loss, in the process decimating my motivation to complete my workout for that day.

Any tips on how to re-motivate?

Replies

• korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    You said the key words...never had a good relationship. Most likely they are jealous of your focus/drive and don't want you to succeed...instead, use that as your motivation! Use the whole 'well, I'll just show them...' human emotion and kick some butt!
  • dvusk
    dvusk Posts: 21
    Options
    I find that just starting again is enough to get me motivated. If I don't feel like exercising, I just grit my teeth and start it anyway. Once the muscles get going and the blood is flowing, I feel much better. Exercise will also help burn off negative feelings, if you're still feeling bummed out.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Are they getting on you for losing weight? That's sad... I'm sorry to hear that! Family is supposed to be supportive, not bring you down!

It doesn't matter what anyone has to say about your fitness goals. They don't have to like them and they don't even have to care about why you're doing what you're doing. Because this is for you! Not for them. Please don't let it kill your motivation :( Nothing--not even a family member who should be caring and isn't--needs to stand in between you and your goals. **HUGS!!!!!!!**
  • theprices
    theprices Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    turn your anger and frustration into POWER!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    this is grown up stuff- there comes a time when you have to cut toxic ppl out of your life, relative or not. Either that, or they poison your life. Seen it dozens of times - never fails - they'll run you into the ground if you let them.
    This person DOES NOT love you or even care about you- DITCH THEM
  • Aeliyah
    Aeliyah Posts: 247
    Options
    You said the key words...never had a good relationship. Most likely they are jealous of your focus/drive and don't want you to succeed...instead, use that as your motivation! Use the whole 'well, I'll just show them...' human emotion and kick some butt!
    I agree with this 100%. If someone tells me I can't do something... OH MAN, I do it just to show them up. Besides... You're doing this for YOU. If you decide to quit, YOU are the one that suffers. Not them. So why let them win?

As far as completing you workout... You just need to start. Every single day I go through the same thing... "I just biked half an hour to and from work... I hauled *kitten* at work... I would rather just sleeeeeeeeep... " But I get on my elliptical... And I do it. After 15 minutes I decide if I want to keep going. Only ONCE have I stopped at 15 minutes and that's because I felt sick from other factors.

If this is what you want... You will find a way to do it. Best of luck to you :)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    They only have power over you when you give it to them. Make the decision to own your power!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I agree witht eh first 2 responses you received. Use that anger you have and channel it into your workout! This relative doesn't sound like s/he is worth your negative feelings. I love to workout when I am angry or had a bad day! I kick some serious *kitten* doing it! Don't let anyone block your vision of YOUR future, YOUR health, YOUR body, YOU in general!!!!! You are doing this for YOU, not anyone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • beautybrainsbooty
    beautybrainsbooty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Mannnn it's so very hard with family because they are just that...family. YOU have to be strong enough to go within and remember why and WHO you are doing this for. When people-especially family-are used to seeing us one way and we start to change, they get scared and nervouse for various reasons, but the main one is that they feel they will become less important to you. I recently ended a highly toxic relationship for much the same reasons. Don't give anybody your power to take away what is your right to have. You are changing. Own it. Smile and tell them to kick rocks as sweetly as possible. Good luck & be well~
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have had the same issues with some of my family members as well. They will make nasty comments and things to me (and then when I get off track for awhile, they will make EVEN more snide comments to me).

I know how upsetting that can be, really I do, and it sucks IT REALLY DOES, especially coming from your own family. But I have learned to accept the fact that miserable people love miserable people and they cannot stand that there may be someone who is doing better than then and actually living quite happily! :frown: I dont know why it is...but I have found it to be true.

So the best suggestion I have is to look at you for you! Dont put them into the picture in a way that affects how you think and feel, though that will probably be EXTREMELY HARD to do (I have been there and I KNOW), but start seeing all the good in you and in your life and circumstances. That may cause more issues between you and your family member (once again, been there and done that), but it will give you a new perspective, and then when something like this arrises again...it wont affect you in such a negative way (though the situation is negative, you will be able to respond positively).

My mom has really helped me see this, she always tells me that if I dont like my circumstances or my life, then I am the only one who can change it...and as hard as it may be...it might mean cutting people out of your life that bring nothing but negativity and pain to you (even if they are family). That doesnt mean it has to be forever, may just for a short time until things cool off! :smile:

Sorry...I went down a HUGE rabbit trail with this and really didnt even answer your question....some great motivators ? Think of how far you have come!! Think of what you have already accomplished and what you want to accomplish and set that at the front of your mind. Focus on YOU and NOT them, and once again, focus on all the good in you and the great things about yourself! :wink: Hope I helped you out a little!
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    Thank's for all the tip's and advice everyone, has definitely helped :)
  • kathytexas
    kathytexas Posts: 21
    Options
    Sorry to hear that is happening. I think being treated like crud because you are losing weight is a hidden side effect of weight loss and being healthy.

The person is taking out their own issues on you and this is about THEM and not you. Can you stay away from the person? Are they overweight?

Sometimes you have to push through it just because. If we all waited for motivation, nothing would get done.

I don't think I've been much help, but wanted to wish you good luck!
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have a brother who would tear me down about my weight to the point of tears. You just have to remember you are doing this for YOU no matter what. I know what you mean it makes you want to sabotage yourself for some reason. I hate the feeling and know it all too well. Just run, or do your favorite workout and you will want to keep going and get back to the routine. IT is hard when family gets nasty but do it for you and you will find the strength.