Just wandering

Options
asampley05
asampley05 Posts: 2 Member
I'm trying to understand really how this works. So as long as we keep the amount of calories we are alloted we should lose weight? I've heard so many conflicting arguments over which is the right way to eat. Some say just count the calories doesn't matter which way you eat. I've heard some say don't count calories count fat. I've heard some say eat vegan and don't worry about the sugar content. It's so confusing so I'm wanting advise from people on here who have lost some weight already and which "way" they have eaten. Also any women out there who started around 340?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    asampley05 wrote: »
    I'm trying to understand really how this works. So as long as we keep the amount of calories we are alloted we should lose weight? I've heard so many conflicting arguments over which is the right way to eat. Some say just count the calories doesn't matter which way you eat. I've heard some say don't count calories count fat. I've heard some say eat vegan and don't worry about the sugar content. It's so confusing so I'm wanting advise from people on here who have lost some weight already and which "way" they have eaten. Also any women out there who started around 340?

Yes. Don't overcomplicate things. Stick to your calories for weight loss. Try and eat nutritious options most of the time because "health". You don't need to restrict particular macros or food groups. Healthy food is subjective - you will get a million opinions of a healthy diet. You decide what it means to you and do that! Good luck :)
  • caitlinvarys
    caitlinvarys Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It really just depends on what your goals are!! If you're just trying to drop pounds, at the end of the day a calorie deficit will do that for you regardless of what you're eating. If you'd like to be overall healthier as well, combining that with paying attention to the types of foods you eat is necessary. I basically only eat junk food and knew that wasn't going to change so I'm still eating pizza on the regular and just lowered my calories and lost 20 pounds in about 2 months! (Started at 170). You definitely do not have to only eat healthy foods or cut out fat or whatever in order to lose weight (although you'd definitely be healthier!!)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,086 Member
    Options
    Just log your food, stay within your calorie goal and you'll lose weight.

Start logging. Log every bite. Take a little walk. Do that tomorrow.

I'd add, don't talk about it to friends and family, everybody has an opinion and they'll be more than willing to tell you that you're doing it wrong.

The only way to lose weight is to take in fewer calories than your body uses in a day. Do that consistently and your body uses its stored body fat as energy. Ta da. :drinker:
  • ohnonotcrystal
    ohnonotcrystal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Trying to stay on some complicated diet is what kept me from staying consistent before. Just do a calorie defecit for now. Before long, believe it or not, you will want to start fine-tuning your diet your own way. For instance, I added more whole wheat and more fresh fruit because I wanted more fiber about 2 weeks in. I started drinking a lot more water because I was thirsty. I have half a Hershey bar sometimes. I eat cheese. I eat what my mom cooks for dinner when I see her and she saves wrappers and tells me measurements so I can plug them in. The one thing I did get is a food scale from Amazon for $10 to measure out portions of some things I like to eat. The only things I "count" are under 2,000 calories in and 10,000 steps or more on my Fitbit. I lose weight every week.

I started at 290-ish. This is doable if you don't make it complicated.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I've lost about one pound per week logging in calories and exercise into MFP. I found that after a while I didn't want to eat chips or cookies as much because they weren't worth the added empty calories. My food preferences are changing. Good lord, I even made a kale salad! I drink more water. So follow the advice here: pay attention to CICO (calories in, calories out). It's really that simple.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's like football. Run a wishbone, a wing-T, or a pro-set. Run any offense you want, and 10 yards is a first down.
    Calorie deficits and weight loss are those 10 yards. How you get there is up to you and whatever you find works best for you is what you should do.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!