Eating my feelings! Advice please?

Options
Slimmasaurus
Slimmasaurus Posts: 141 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I feel like the thing that's holding me back the most is emotional eating... whilst a lot of things in my life are going well, I've moved back home with my parents to help look after my dad who has Parkinson's disease and dementia. The stress and upset and difficulty of day to day life is hitting me hard and I find myself stuffing my face to numb my feelings...

Has anyone got any tips or tricks to help curb emotional eating? Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Try deep breathing techniques. See youtube for them.
  • Slimmasaurus
    Options
    Good advice, thank you. It's hard to get out of the house because he can't be left on his own... I'll have to think of something.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Good advice, thank you. It's hard to get out of the house because he can't be left on his own... I'll have to think of something.

Is your mom not able to spell you for a bit? You did mention "Parents" in your OP.

When I took care of my mom in her last years, I got a treadmill because, like you, I couldn't leave her alone for a second. I used to walk on the treadmill and watch TV instead of eating my feelings.

Failing that, anything that keeps your hands busy (knitting or crocheting, perhaps) and chewing sugar free gum to keep my mouth busy were my stand by go-to's. :)
  • Meaganinsardinia
    Meaganinsardinia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    No need to stress about the stress eating. If thats what you need to cope right now then go with it. Most people have much more harmful vices under less stressful circumstances. Later you will be even more experienced in your caring role and have many new coping strategies and in time you will be able to let yourself feel those emotions safely. Be kind with yourself.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Has anyone got any tips or tricks to help curb emotional eating? Thanks in advance :smile:

Lean on friends. Don't bottle up the emotions. If friends aren't enough, engage with a professional.

And good luck - aging, deteriorating parents are a heavy heavy load - make sure you aren't being too hard on yourself!
  • ZeetaFit
    ZeetaFit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I took care of my mom in her last years, I got a treadmill because, like you, I couldn't leave her alone for a second. I used to walk on the treadmill and watch TV instead of eating my feelings.

Failing that, anything that keeps your hands busy (knitting or crocheting, perhaps) and chewing sugar free gum to keep my mouth busy were my stand by go-to's. :)

I agree with the treadmill idea. (or whatever works best for you) When I had a relationship start going downhill (and eventually end) I took up Cardio Kickboxing. Even though I wasn't actually hitting anything it helped to punch my feelings out. That may sound corny but it kept me from hitting my ex :) and away from mindless emotional eating.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Check into State resources, you should be able to get some respite worker hours that will be paid for by the state. I believe DES handles this.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Hugs
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I feel like the thing that's holding me back the most is emotional eating... whilst a lot of things in my life are going well, I've moved back home with my parents to help look after my dad who has Parkinson's disease and dementia. The stress and upset and difficulty of day to day life is hitting me hard and I find myself stuffing my face to numb my feelings...

My OH has been a caregiver for around 7 years. He said, "You start out with a certain intention and then realize you have to modify." You are not a robot. You cannot sacrifice your needs 24/7.

Like others have said, there are likely state resources that can help. Medicaid was very helpful to him. The local elder care agency coordinated all of this. The more disabled his parents got, the more services were provided. After his father became blind, he got additional services for this.

Exercise is essential for my mental health. I could not sacrifice this. I am prone to emotional eating, and regular exercise keeps this in check.

We also get massage regularly. He deserves it.
  • verybusybee
    verybusybee Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Has anyone got any tips or tricks to help curb emotional eating? Thanks in advance
  • verybusybee
    verybusybee Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I have always been an emotional and bored water. However when I keep myself busy I don't plan meals. I feel like a lose lose situation.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Caregiving can be very draining. You can meditate (I like the Insight Timer app) and do yoga at home, though, and still be alert when your dad needs you. When I took care of my paternal grandmother, we would sing together. When it's my turn to take care of my maternal grandmother overnight now, I bring my yoga mat. It helps a lot. The Yoga Studio app has some nice routines.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    There is some great advice here. The treadmill or whatever equipment you like is a really good one. Mostly I just wanted to send you cyber hugs. ((((Hugs)))) I took care of my in laws for 10+ years. The last 3 were very very difficult. As others have said, be kind to yourself. Look into getting respite help. But do take care of yourself. It's easy to lose you in caregiving and that's not healthy for you in the long run.
  • Slimmasaurus
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone, I'm overwhelmed by your kindness and supportive words. X
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Do something that keeps your hands occupied -- art, needlework, anything. It's hard to knit or crochet if you are trying to pick up chips at the same time. The grease gets on the yarn. If your hands are covering in "mod podge," you won't be wanting to touch the cheese.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Try guided meditations free on YouTube to reduce stress rather than overeating.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and herbs instead of bbq sauce, and weigh and log each helping?
    In all seriousness though, you know you are doing it, weigh and log even when emotionally binging. The simple act of doing that will help you halt the obsessive eating for at least a few minutes, and remind you that what you are doing really is within your control.