Ellepicall vs treadmill?

Options
Chessbear
Chessbear Posts: 45 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi there.

Online im reading the treadmill is comparable to elleptical calorie wise.

If thats the case, how come im drenched in sweat from 10 minutes on the treadmill vs not so drenched on the elleptical for 10 minutes? The treadmill will say i burnt 120 calories in those 10 minutes while the elleptical will say 110 calories.

I do an hour a day on the elleptical and the machine says i burnt about 650 calories. Is this even correct? Is it more like 400 calories?

Even my heart rate is higher on the treadmill vs the elleptical and by like 40 beats per minute.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It is possible that the machine is close to correct. Why do you choose to offer 400 as an alternative?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Sweat =/= Calorie burn.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I believe it has more to do with perceived effort than actual effort.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,499 Member
    Options
    Running needs more energy that walking. When you walk one foot stays on the ground all the time and you use less muscles. In running you need to use more muscles and you jump: both feet are off the ground at the same time. The difference in running calories is more than twice that of walking. How you translate that to treatmill vs. eliptical is up to you ;)

But scientific publications often use data from the compendium of physical activity. Using their data is difficult for normal people, but the following two equations approximate the information in there:

distance (miles) * weight (lbs) * 0.68 for running (use 0.86 for km and kg)
    distance (miles) * weight (lbs) * 0.30 for walking (use 0.38 for km and kg)

This is for treadmills, thus going outside might be somewhat different, depending on wind direction, elecation profile and a few other things.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I dunno but ellipticals have so many settings to play with, maybe you could stand to push yourself just a bit if it feels easier. Fwiw when I was really overweight in college I did tons of elliptical, playing around with the settings during my workout, and work up a mild sweat. It was easier to lose weight that way than it was on the treadmill for some reason.

If you can go for longer on the elliptical it's better; also try throwing in some intervals or change the incline to really get your leg muscles working. 650 an hour is possible.
  • luckyhands64
    luckyhands64 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Essentially, it boils down to how hard you're working yourself. 150 BPM vs 150 BPM is still 150 BPM wither it's an elliptical, treadmill, swimming, biking, etc. The best thing to do for a comparison is to wear a heart rate monitor. Generally, you can increase your workout intensity on an eliptical by increasing the resistance and make your muscle work hard or you can move faster. Try either one of these to get your avg heart rate up.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Obviously neither the elliptical or the treadmill burn calories - the person exercising does.
    They are pieces of equipment that can be used in different ways and with wildly varying intensities.

No-one can possibly tell you your calories burn, neither your weight or your workouts are known to anyone but you. The machine(s) know more about those pieces of information than strangers. :)