Juice Fast Guidelines Help

Options
Hi All,

So I have been reading a lot about juice fast and the pros and cons. I am stuck at 145-ish lbs and have been for months- (I may gain or lose 4-5lbs but I am constantly stuck in the 140's) SO I was thinking a juice fast may help me break through.

What are the guidelines here? How many glasses a day? Calorie limitations? Veggies to fruit ratios? Other things I need to know?

I have read a lot about people doing them and side effects but I can't seem to figure out what people are drinking or when or how much.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• CoachFoland
    CoachFoland Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Check out http://jointhereboot.com/ - It's the website that coincides with the documentary "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". They have plans and info that'll def get you on the right track.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, do this under a dr's supervision. I thought I could fast on my own and it was a disaster. I literally thought I was going to die. It turned out I was hypoglycemic and my body just couldn't handle fasting the way I was going about it.
  • rhomor
    rhomor Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks djjustjohn! i went to the site and did my assessment. A little confused but looking forward to getting my emails next week. Hoping to get some sort of shopping list prior to day one......
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    There's a fan page on facebook. Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. You can learn so much from reading everyone's comments. I'm on day 2 and didn't talk to a Dr. I tapered off caffiene prior to beginning and am drinking tons of water and having 4-5 16-20 oz. glasses of juice per day.
  • marysmartypants
    marysmartypants Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I, too was inspired by the Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead documentary. I started juicing last week and the weight has been coming off pretty quick (about 5lbs in one week, 2 of those within the first day). I can tell you from my experience that the first day is the WORST. By the time dinner rolled around, I was very hungry. I was craving Jack In The Box like never before LOL. But I stuck through it and in the morning, those cravings had gone away. I was drinking 32 oz, 3x a day. It was actually a lot and there were times when I felt full.

Some of my trial and error tips:
    *A word of caution about beets - they are a natural laxative and they work QUICK - as in 10 minutes of drinking them. I wouldn't eat more than 1 a day.
    *Avoid broccoli - it doesn't yield much juice!
    *If you're using kale, make sure you trim off the excess stems, they're very woodsy (bleh)
    *Buy more than you need, the produce probably won't yield as much as you think. We had to go to the store 3x in one week to stock up!

I was also stuck in the 139/140/141 rut, and by juicing I got down to 135 and thus far have been able to maintain it by juicing for one meal a day.

Good luck!
    Mary
  • fola_olu
    fola_olu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I watched the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead over the weekend. I was wondering those of you that did the juice fast how did your workout go? Did you have to cut back? In the movie I know the guy swam and walked, but I am doing more cardio now and do not want to break the habit.
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    We have a pretty active thread on juice fasting. Please come join us!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/292205-juice-fasting
  • Shannibal
    Shannibal Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I did a 2 day juice fast this weekend. Tried to follow the model that was used in Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, which from what I understood was 20 oz juice 6 times a day. I was never hungry and I felt really good. I am gonna do the 60 day reboot next spring, but until then, I will have a juice every morning for breakfast and do a weekend fast probably twice a month.

I am using the Breville Ikon. I advise that before getting involved with juicing, to really do research and find out what is best for you. There are different juicers that are good at different things. discountjuicers.com has a lot of informative videos that will give great information about the different styles of juicers and what they are good for.

One more thing. After researching and experiementing, I found that your juice should not consist of more than 20% of juice from dark green,leafy vegetables. I always try to use the base of my juice as a mild fruit or veggie like carrots, cucumbers, pears or apples. Half a lemon will also add better flavor to a juice that is made with very strong tasting leafy green vegetables.

This morning for breakfast I had a juice of 2 apples, a cucumber, half lemon, 6 leaves of kale and 6 leaves of spinach. It was yummy :)
  • rhomor
    rhomor Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the fantastic information! I start my fast on Tuesday coming and I am very excited. I have already started by cutting out caffeine and juicing for breakfast. I am putting together a small recipe book of juice recipes so I have some Idea of what I am doing!

Any recipes for veggies you all really like? I think that will be the hardest part. I love V* but don't drink it because of the sodium content. It is not really good for you. I would love to learn how to make a good veggie juice but I hate the taste of raw tomatoes... and suggestions?
  • Shannibal
    Shannibal Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    In my vegetable juices I never really used tomato. I would use carrots as my base juice and maybe throw in an apple for a little sweetener or half of a lemon. Cucumber is also good because it produces lots of juice.Keep your leafy greens at below 20 percent of the total juice or you're going to get a very strong taste that is not very pleasant..

Im still new so I cant help you too much, but Im sure you can google "vegetable juicing recipes" and find some great juices :)