I want to be a runner/jogger...wogger

Options
Debs_Az
Debs_Az Posts: 19 Member
edited July 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
My daughter & I are involved with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. She's a runner.. I am not. I've started out as a walker and haven't progressed. I just stayed where I stayed for really no reason. I would love with all my <3 is to be at least a jogger just so I could sorta kinda keep up with her.

My question is .. have any of you used the Couch to 5k program then progressed up to like a half marathon. We are scheduled to do the Rock n Roll San Diego next June. I gave myself lots of time to figure out how to do this. Then in January my whole family wants to do the Star Wars half marathon.. and you have to maintain a 16 minute mile and stay ahead of the balloon ladies otherwise you get picked up and taken to the finish line.

What apps or programs did you use to train or become a runner/jogger?

Thank you!!

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I used couch 25k and I now run up to 15 miles.

I used the BUPA 1/2 marathon training.
  • Debs_Az
    Options
    What is the BUPA 1/2 marathon training?
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I completed the C25K program, and now I'm training for my first 10K in October, and I will also run the Star Wars Half, but not in January in California, in April in Florida. I'm sure that you can keep up a 16 minute/mile or better by January. You can always use the ZenLabs apps for 10K and Half Marathon progressively (at least that's what I'm hoping for myself). Good luck and enjoy the Star Wars half :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    https://www.bupa.co.uk/health-information/directory/r/running-programme-half-marathon

Here is a link for you. Worked for both me and my sister.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've used couch to 5k and I ahve friends who did as well. I also love Marathon Rookie for a manageable and functional workout plan: http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html

My favorite tip is to start off alternating jogging-walking, slowly increasing intervals of jogging over time and decreasing the time walking. And don't forget to jog slowly at first, and don't make your stride length too long (so that your foot never lands ahead of your knee).

Lastly, I had shin splints until I got my flat feet figured out; I need maximal stability in my shoes. In contrast, my mom has good arches and she gets injured if she runs in anything other than neutral running shoes. Go to a running store (not a general-purpose sports store, a store specific for running) and have them look at your stride, and do your research. Good luck!!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    What @timtam163 said is key!! Get fitted for great running shoes, it will make ALL the difference, and replace them regularly. I personally love HokaOne. Once you have that squared away, just start running and enjoy!

PS - I trained at 10 miles and only once ran the full 13 prior to my half. I finished in 2:30.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    When I ran the one marathon. I was ever humbled when at mile 23 a woman clearly older than me, power walked right past me with ease. She was wearing a T-shirt that said marathoned in all 50 states.
    Just like the others said, good shoes and only use them for running.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I used C25K, and then switched to Runkeeper training plans. I just finished my second half marathon this morning.

I shamelessly follow the Galloway run-walk-run plan. My feeling is that I get better times than I did when I tried to run straight through, and I don't care about whether I run the whole thing nearly as much as I care about what the actual pace is. I'd rather take the walk breaks and get times that I can live with, with good and easy cushions within the max time requirements.
  • vlheriss
    vlheriss Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I first got my Fitbit, I would just walk to meet my 10,000 step goal but then I felt I can do more. I downloaded the Couch to 10K trainer app by Zen Labs Fitness in late April and started with 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking intervals and it was very hard for me at the beginning. However by week 8, I could run 30 minutes non-stop. Currently, I am on week 10 of the program now doing 15 minutes of jogging now with 1 minute of walking repeating 3 times. It is such a great feeling when you have completed the training for that day. I am looking forward to doing my first 5K and 10K soon!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    I did C25k when I started running about 6 years ago. When I finished, I built up my mileage and began running races, first 5ks, then HMs, then marathons. At this point I've done 3 marathons and 4 HMs. I like Hal Higdon's programs. They are free and online.
  • Debs_Az
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Debs_Az wrote: »
    My daughter & I are involved with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. She's a runner.. I am not. I've started out as a walker and haven't progressed. I just stayed where I stayed for really no reason. I would love with all my <3 is to be at least a jogger just so I could sorta kinda keep up with her.

My question is .. have any of you used the Couch to 5k program then progressed up to like a half marathon. We are scheduled to do the Rock n Roll San Diego next June. I gave myself lots of time to figure out how to do this. Then in January my whole family wants to do the Star Wars half marathon.. and you have to maintain a 16 minute mile and stay ahead of the balloon ladies otherwise you get picked up and taken to the finish line.

What apps or programs did you use to train or become a runner/jogger?

Thank you!!

Have you looked into Team in Training? You can raise money for Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and they will train you. Do the Couch to 5k and then mabe work up to a 10k first. Then run with them.

I ran Rock & Roll San Diego a couple years ago with Team in Training. It was a blast. I will be doing it again.

I am actually going to be doing that this upcoming June.. we are so excited!!!!!
  • mcollins1108
    mcollins1108 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am 27 and weigh 265. I consider myself a slow wogger lol. I used C25K to train for my 5k for about 2 months but I never finished it (I had to repeat weeks multiple times). I burnt out on the app training before my 5k but ran it anyways. Since then I've been doing the Galloway method, which uses walking/running intervals. I am very slow, but I'm still out there trying! I think that using C25K to get a good base helped a lot, and now I can train other ways and feel more comfortable. I don't know if that makes much sense but it has worked for me. Good luck!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I, too, used the Couch to 5K program by ZenLabs. It was great for me. Good luck on your training. What fun!
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I did c25k and progressed to the galloway plan for a half marathon using runkeeper.

I would not stress about half marathons yet get the 5k distance under your belt that will teach you the majority of what you need to know then all you will need to do is slowly build your weekly miles until your weekly long run is about 10 miles.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I did C25k when I started running about 6 years ago. When I finished, I built up my mileage and began running races, first 5ks, then HMs, then marathons. At this point I've done 3 marathons and 4 HMs. I like Hal Higdon's programs. They are free and online.

Second vote for Hal Higdon. I was easily running 3.5 milea, so I went straight for the novice 10k program and ran my first 10k (and first race ever) this past weekend. I was perfectly prepared and my results exceeded my expectations. So much that I am continuing the HM novice plan, but starting on week 4, and taking more care to truly cross train with some bodyweight work to help avoid injury.

Good luck OP! You can do it.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    I've used couch to 5k and I ahve friends who did as well. I also love Marathon Rookie for a manageable and functional workout plan: http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html

I too started with C25K. My next program was Bridge to 10K (B210K). I am presently in week 4 of Marathon Rookie's half marathon training plan. I use it before each half that I run, and this will be my 5th.

Good luck Debs. I hope you enjoy running as much as I do.