Cutting Training Advice Please

Options
Ok, so the aim is to get lean in an 8 wk cut. I've read and viewed YouTube videos saying train heavy during a calorie deficit to lose weight and maintain strength. (5 x 5 training etc). They say not to train volume...

However, I tend to super set on volume for 7-10 exercises which gets me sweating buckets.

Psychsomatically I can't help feel that this should work (too early to tell the facts).

Would it be an issue if I alternate 5x5 with superset circuits daily?

Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun - Heavy & 30 mins cardio
Tues, Thurs, Sat - Superset volume circuits.

Imagining my nutrition is on point, is this likely to help me shred well or will I be losing a lot of strength?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The idea is that you need to maintain intensity while cutting so that you retain muscle. You can cut volume. If you usually press 135 for 5x5, you could drop a set or two if needed.

If you already superset some stuff, I'd say do them if you can but if you start to feel wiped out, drop a set.
  • edyates81
    edyates81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for tips :) How long have you been into training just out of interest?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    edyates81 wrote: »
    Thanks for tips :) How long have you been into training just out of interest?

I've been lifting for three years. I started while in the process of losing 50 lbs. Here's an article that talks about training while losing weight. Not sure if you know of Lyle Mcdonald but he is well known and respected as somebody who understands the science behind various fitness topics.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html/
  • edyates81
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @JerSchmare what do you mean by bro stuff? I'm pretty newbs to this but I guess you're light heartedly pulling my beard about training styles?? Or you mean I'm sucking into a load of bull ****?
  • edyates81
    Options
    Thanks @jemhh will read now
  • edyates81
    Options
    This article is awesome!
    Suggested I'm over doing it but kind of on the right track.

So...in the gym gonna try ~

Mon, Wed, Sat: 6x3 training + low cardio
    Tue, Thurs: Volume super sets + HIIT.
    Fri, Sun: Rest