Junk food

Options
I've tried every diet and I'm fatter than ever! If I fail and eat a biscuit I then go on to binge. Can I eat whatever I want within calories? I eat healthy but developed a bad relationship with food if I can encorpate a treat into my calories can I have it? And do I eat exercise calories back if I keep my calories on 1200 I'm trying to go 5 times a week?

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    For weight loss it doesn't matter what kinds of food you're eating, only that you're hitting the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. Nothing wrong with incorporating the foods you enjoy into your plan-you just need to learn how to fit them into your calorie goals.

As you proceed you'll discover that some foods have more staying power, (this will vary between individuals), some food just isn't worth the calories, you'll start finding low calorie foods to add to give you more variety and volume, (veggies are great for this), and then you'll also start to find low calorie alternatives to some of the higher calorie foods/drinks that you currently use, (for example-switching from regular soda to diet soda is an easy way to save calories with minimal fuss, same with salad dressings etc etc).

Focus on learning how to do this whole thing in a realistic and sustainable way for you, a way that you'll be able to stick with not only for the short weight loss phase, but then the many, many years of maintenance that follows!
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! If it fits in your calories you can have it, no matter what it is.

Something or be aware of 1200 is a very small amount of calories, not appropriate for most people - unless you are very small, older, female and sedantary you will probably find that your body needs more than 1200 (I say this as someone who actually is on 1200 due to most of the factors above).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are struggling with all or nothing and maybe being too strict about calories too.

Just focus on calories for a while and if you eat something like a biscuit just fit it into calories. DON'T decide the day is ruined so you will have to start over anyway, that's what often prompts counterproductive responses like then eating everything and not logging the day.

1200 might be too low for you to start at -- what are your stats? Better to be consistent and hit your numbers every day and lose 1 lb per week then try for two and end up bingeing regularly and not losing anything. You will be in a much better place 3 and 6 months on if you are just consistent, even with a higher goal.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    How is a biscuit junk?
    Lately people have gone completely wonko...
    Just eat less. No need to avoid anything. And no reason to label any food "junk".

The only problem of any food comes when you eat too much of it.
  • ayuri17
    ayuri17 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want as long as it is within your calorie plan. That means you can have junk food every day and still lose weight. You just have to eat less and track accurately. A diet does not have to feel like torture.