Best food scale?

Options
Hi, I'm currently in the process of losing my last 10 pounds or so.
I've lost 21 pounds with out using a food scale.
But, I've been struggling with this last 10 pounds since early January.
I've decided to buy a food scale but I'd like opinions on what you all use and what you like the most.
Cheap would be nice, but mostly I'd like to have it be compact.
I work in a restaurant and I eat there often, but if I can manage I'd really love to weigh that food even.
Thanks! :)

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    This is the one I use at home. I like that it weighs up to 22 lb. because I can set a bowl or pan on it and weigh each ingredient separately as I make a recipe. smile.amazon.com/Etekcity-Accuracy-Multifunction-Measurement-Supported/dp/B00FE8QXT0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1429017548&sr=8-6&keywords=etekcity+scale

For a portable one, I have this one: smile.amazon.com/EZ-Digital-Scale-Jewelry-Portable/dp/B00BNWR6UG/ref=pd_sbs_k_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=19NJBPE437HMVQMTJ4ZT . I don't weigh my food outside my home, but I have this one for weighing small amounts of oils, essential oils, etc when I make my shampoos and lotions and things. It even has a little pouch to store it in.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    One where you can read the digital screen with the plate/bowl/container not getting in the way!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Best digital scale ? The one you use consistently.

Seriously, with today's technology and mfg processes there is not a digital scale on the market that is not accurate.
  • alssatter
    alssatter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen-Elegant/dp/B004164SRA/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1429022381&sr=1-1&keywords=food+scale

That is the scale I have and love it! Make sure you get one with the "tare" button so you put things on a plate/bowl and weigh them. It is so handy and makes me very aware and confident in the quantity of food I am eating.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Depends what you weigh on whether you prefer a bowl or not. I like mine which has the zero function to add ingredients and it also weighs liquids at the same time. What camo said though it requires you to use it.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have oxo scale with a pull-out display which is good if I'm using a big bowl or something, I can pull out the display and see the readout. Honestly though, I've never used that feature.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i don't have the brand name of mine, but i bought it at either TJMaxx or Marshall's HomeGoods. I paid like $10bux. it has TARE and both oz and grams. i love it and use it every day. also has a little "tray" on the top that comes off so i can wash it if i use it for raw foods, etc. :smile:
  • alicaramik2
    alicaramik2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I got mine from Costco. It's made by Taylor and cost around 20 dollars. I like the fact that it has ml., and liquid oz. capabilities along with the grams and dry ozs. The only downside is that it's a bit small so the display can be hard to see if you put a large plate on it.
  • smartchef2016
    smartchef2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Smart Chef Food Scale syncs with myfitnesspal.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Look for the smallest one you can find since that's important to you. The product description should list the dimensions.
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I think most digital scales have tare function. Not always a separate button, sometimes just pressing the on off button a second time after putting something on the scale. I got my scale at Aldi, it was $10, but they only sell them as a special buy at certain times. It has different functions, grams, ounces and two others that can measure water or milk in ml. I don't ever use that and try to use grams as much as possible. Though when I have to, I have used ounces. I also like that it has a back lit display. It does use the larger button batteries, but I can get those at the Dollar Tree. so they are actually cheaper than AA or AAA batteries.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I got one at Walmart today. It's the mainstays brand. It seems to be accurate.
    I have been losing weight, I just wanted to make sure that I was really eating what I thought.
    I'd say shop around. If you do have a Walmart they carry several different brands/types. It wouldn't hurt to take a look.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you want to go really small, Amazon has pocket-sized food scales -- some also less than $20.
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »

That is a bath scale, the OP is looking for a food scale.
  • zeaxm
    zeaxm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    I have oxo scale with a pull-out display which is good if I'm using a big bowl or something, I can pull out the display and see the readout. Honestly though, I've never used that feature.

this is the one i have, i like it.
  • fanoflasvegas
    fanoflasvegas Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a mainstay slimline digital scale from Wal Mart. I like it. It keeps my portions in check.