Chest feels ice cold during exercise?

Options
Twice in a row now, I have noticed that my chest has become extremely cold to the touch while exercising. It seriously feels as if I had been holding an ice pack against it. I'm not doing anything particularly strenuous. I've just been going on 4.5 mile walks at a pace of about 3.75 mph (I do run a bit here and there but not very much at all). I was also very cold, including freezing hands, the rest of the day yesterday after finishing my walk. Does anyone know what this could be or if I should be concerned? I can't find much info online.

I'm especially worried because about a month ago, I had a scare where I went to an urgent care center after almost passing out 3 times and was referred to a cardiologist due to abnormal heart rhythms on my EKG. However, the cardiologist said everything looked fine and sent me home. I don't want to go back to him just for him to look at me like I'm stupid for scheduling an appointment for "cold skin."

Replies

• RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    dwestin wrote: »
    I'm especially worried because about a month ago, I had a scare where I went to an urgent care center after almost passing out 3 times and was referred to a cardiologist due to abnormal heart rhythms on my EKG. However, the cardiologist said everything looked fine and sent me home. I don't want to go back to him just for him to look at me like I'm stupid for scheduling an appointment for "cold skin."

Better to ask the cardiologist than strangers on the internet who may have no medical experience.

If it worries you and is not your normal condition, ask the cardiologist or your primary care physician.

There's also no reason to feel stupid about asking. That's his job. I look at doctors in the same way I look at car mechanics -- since I am paying for their help and opinion, I can ask whatever I need to ask. It's always better to ask than end up in an emergency.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    New worrying symptom. This new information might change your cardiologist's mind.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Could be loads of things we all could throw in the suggestion basket. Bottom line, if you are concerned and it is having a negative effect physically or mentally, go and see the doctor. Better safe than sorry. I hope you find out what it is and get peace of mind.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You should make an appointment with your doctor. I know nothing about cold chests, but if your hands are cold that could signal something about poor circulation to your extremities. I don't know, I'm not a doctor. I wouldn't wait, your heart is a freaking critical component of your body and I'd check that out immediately.
  • Shortieweightloss
    Shortieweightloss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I hesitated to mention the heart stuff because I knew the only responses I would get were "go to the doctor." The problem is, every time I go to a doctor with anything unusual, they just tell me I'm young, look at me like a a crazy hypochondriac, and send me home. That's why I wanted to know if anyone had heard of this happening to others while exercise. I rarely get doctors taking me seriously unless my complaints are more clear cut and common things like chest pain or migraines.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I've seen some posts on feeling cold during & after exercise - try searching for them if you're curious.

Do you have any other medical issues?
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Maybe have your doctor check you for Raynaud's Disease which can have symptoms similar to what you are describing. Don't be afraid of asking questions! Doctors aren't perfect and sometimes it takes many attempts to diagnose medical conditions. Mention that what you are experiencing is really affecting your quality of life. If your doctor seems to dismiss your concerns too easily, ask for a second opinion or even change doctors!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Was it cold outside? Move your arms more? My hubby who is a nurse said you need to find a cardiologist who can explain your irregular ekg rythyms but had no opinion about the cold skin.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    To the doctor you go.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Though I did start feeling cold after significant weight loss, exercise did not cause it. My extremities did not get cold.

I don't think this is normal. It speaks to poor circulation. Something is going on. I also vote for a forceful request for a re-examination.

I wonder if you would pass a stress test.
  • Shortieweightloss
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I had a stress test about a year ago. That is part of why the dr said no further testing was necessary. I ordered a blood pressure cuff to see what my BP is doing throughout the day. There's no sense in spending a bunch of money on another useless doctor's visit.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Gotcha.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I had a stress test about a year ago. That is part of why the dr said no further testing was necessary. I ordered a blood pressure cuff to see what my BP is doing throughout the day. There's no sense in spending a bunch of money on another useless doctor's visit.

What do you think your BP will tell you about this problem?
  • Shortieweightloss
    Options

You're experiencing something I've never heard of and you're concerned about it, I don't think that would be a waste of money.

But maybe I'm interpreting what you're saying incorrectly. My skin can feel cold once sweat evaporates.

It is when you've had the same experience I've had repeatedly where I spend hundreds of dollars just for the doctor to not take me seriously. Then I'm $400 poorer but still have as much information as I walked into the office with. It's not as easy as just being more forceful. I have tried that, and it doesn't get me anywhere.
    lorrpb wrote: »

What do you think your BP will tell you about this problem?

I want to check if my BP is low if I get the cold hands again.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Are you eating and accurately logging at least 1200 calories daily?
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Do you experience any other sensations? Feeling of lightheadedness or dizziness? Any pain in the chest arms or back?
  • SYNODA
    SYNODA Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your a,xmen and have the x gen, we will call you lady frost for now on.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I had an overnight thought. Try adding salt to your pre workout drink. If low blood pressure is responsible this might help. But then who am I? I'm not even a doctor.

I'm not even American so I have never even thought of the cost of a doctor's visit.