Losing Weight After An Off Weekend

Options
bringingsexyback2007
bringingsexyback2007 Posts: 79 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I've lost 90lbs since January 1st of this year by creating a healthy lifestyle of eating healthy and exercising. I've had a little bit of a set back the past 3 days. I've pretty much ate what I wanted, without going too crazy. I went over calorie by about 300 calories the past 3 days in a row. I woke up today, preparing for the worst when I weighed in and was shocked to see I had dropped 4.5 pounds since Thursday (4 days ago) which was when my eating went off track. I also wasn't exercising during this time. I'm back on track today, but am very curious to know if anyone knows why this happens? TIA!

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Weightloss isn't linear. There are ups, downs, retention, time, underestimation, overestimation, all kinds of factors. Just be happy for a loss in the long run.

Edit; Post 666. Yaasssss.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Take it!
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Random water weight fluctuation. Consider it a counterbalance to all those days when you were under calories and the scale went up.
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    300 over maintenance or 300 over your daily goal? Your daily goal is already a deficit, so even if you are over your daily goal you may still be under maintenance and still in a deficit.

You have discovered the "whoosh effect". You can read more about how it works at the link below.

http://100down.org/the-whoosh-effect/
  • bringingsexyback2007
    bringingsexyback2007 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    taziarj wrote: »
    300 over maintenance or 300 over your daily goal? Your daily goal is already a deficit, so even if you are over your daily goal you may still be under maintenance and still in a deficit.

You have discovered the "whoosh effect". You can read more about how it works at the link below.

http://100down.org/the-whoosh-effect/

It was 300 over my daily goal. Thank you for the info. Loving this whoosh effect!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Just don't post tomorrow asking why you're hi please 2 lbs after the unexpected loss. Lol. This is what is meant that weight loss is not linear!
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

It was 300 over my daily goal. Thank you for the info. Loving this whoosh effect!

Depending on what your daily goal is based off of (lose 1lb, 1.5lb, 2lb a week), you may still be in as much as a 700 calorie deficit each of those days you went over. Ultimately, the answer is as others pointed out, weight loss isn't linear. Though I find it much more linear when I only weigh in once a week vs every day.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Love4fitnesslove4food2 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Your body likely released training associated water retention and/or your cortisol levels went down due to getting a bit more food and that triggered a loss of water weight.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yes, that. ^^