Calories

Options
I don't eat my calorie allowance and sometimes after I complete my diary it says that I will lose weight in 5 weeks but other times it says that I'm going to gain weight? Does anyone know why that happens and how I can regulate it?

Replies

• taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    That is just MFP telling you what you will weigh in 5 weeks if you eat the same amount of calories that you ate today each day for the next five weeks. If you are over maintenance, the number will be higher than your current weight. If you eat in a deficit, the weight will be lower than your current weight.
  • debteach12
    debteach12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So how do I know how many calories to eat if it's always different?
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's not really accurate you'd have to eat the exact same diet and workout exactly the same every day to achieve that. I only ever got a higher amount in five weeks when I went over calories for the day.

Eat what mfp suggests you should eat and you'll do fine
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I think what the OP is asking is why if they always eat below their goal calories, sometimes mfp predicts they will gain in 5 weeks and others that they will lose.

My answer is: must be a bug if it does that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    debteach12 wrote: »
    I don't eat my calorie allowance and sometimes after I complete my diary it says that I will lose weight in 5 weeks but other times it says that I'm going to gain weight? Does anyone know why that happens and how I can regulate it?

Aside from the weight loss prediction question, why would you not eat to your calorie goal?
  • debteach12
    debteach12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my calorie goal because it's high and I feel full before I get to my goal.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    StaceyO444 wrote: »
    Are you following your macros? More processed food, more carbs and fat = more bioavailable calories. Meaning, if you're at your calorie goal but it's all processed carbs and fats, you're at less of a deficit than if your calories are lean proteins and vegetables.

That doesn't make sense. A calorie from a cookie is the same as a calorie from kale, it's just a unit of measurement.

ETA: (because it cut off the rest) you will feel better eating food that gives you the correct amount of protein, fat, etc. but it doesn't change the fact that a deficit is all that matters for weight loss.