Does Obesity Cause Inflammation? Or Is It the Other Way Around?

Options

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    For the record, I am one of those people who do not believe " a calorie is a calorie"...Our bodies are so complex and unique and there is so much science and medicine hasn't figured out yet.

Here's the bottom line. And yes, I know you won't accept this.

As long as you continue to believe what you wrote above, you will *never* solve your issues. Literally never.

I do wish you the best of luck - but it won't be enough.

This. There's just no point in even trying to help when someone has this false belief.
  • skinnylady2014
    skinnylady2014 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know anywhere near the OP's whole situation, but I will say I have at least a couple autoimmune issues as well as inflammation. For me personally, some exercise or movement daily helps. Also, using turmeric, which I have seen a couple other posters mention. Eating simply and "clean" definitely helps. Cutting way way back on flour and white sugar helps a lot. For me I feel better not using artificial sweeteners beyond Stevia. Drinking clean water every day helps. All of these things help my inflammation, but indirectly help with weight loss.

This has been my experience.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know anywhere near the OP's whole situation, but I will say I have at least a couple autoimmune issues as well as inflammation. For me personally, some exercise or movement daily helps. Also, using turmeric, which I have seen a couple other posters mention. Eating simply and "clean" definitely helps. Cutting way way back on flour and white sugar helps a lot. For me I feel better not using artificial sweeteners beyond Stevia. Drinking clean water every day helps. All of these things help my inflammation, but indirectly help with weight loss.

This has been my experience.

I started using turmeric a while ago, and although I don't know whether it has anything to do with the turmeric or was just coincidence, my postprandial glucose readings dropped about ten points at about the same time. Research on the effect of turmeric on insulin resistance is mixed but promising. Two things to know about it: the active compound in turmeric, curcumin, requires some oil to be utilized, and piperide, a compound in black pepper, greatly increases absorption. So if you're going to test drive the turmeric, try it with a little oil and black pepper.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Malabsorption does not cause fat gain and usually doesn't cause weight gain (water weight gain in a few people). If you are truly experiencing malabsorption you would be dropping weight quickly.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Without exercise and being an older woman, it's doubtful a weight loss number of 1650 will be the right setting. Plus, you really do need to log your food - for all you know you're eating 2800. Right now all this is conjecture and arguing. Do the work.
  • DevotedToDASH
    DevotedToDASH Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The difference between lymphedema and lipedema - mine is nearly identical to the lipedema photo although I'm not that advanced, and nothing like the lymphedema photo. Note the difference in texture - this is the major distinguishing factor between the two, but not visually - rather by feel. The fat in lymphedema remains smooth. In lipedema the texture of the fat is completely different. It feels like lumps and bumps and tiny pellets...
    and it is painful in a different way than the swelling of lymphedema.lymphedema-vs-lipedema.jpg

Anyone who wants to chip in for the $650-$1000 that a diagnosis would cost me, let me know - I'll be happy to be diagnosed. Or if you know of a Dr local to me who can diagnose it that will do it for the cost of a regular office visit - give me a name and I'll make the appointment. I'm not looking for a diagnosis from anyone at MFP - please feel free to quote anywhere that I said I was.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    OP, I would just focus on what you can control. You can continue to carefully log what you eat, you can use a food scale for accuracy, and figure out what kind of exercise you can do and include that.

The Mediterranean diet has been shown to improve inflammation (albeit inflammation related to cardiovascular disease; source: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1262363612001528) so perhaps try to model your diet off of that? (Lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains like oatmeal, plain popcorn, brown rice, quinoa, plant based proteins like beans and legumes, fish 2-3 times a week, 1/4 a cup of nuts a day, low fat dairy, chicken/turkey some days while avoiding red meat and added sugars.)

Also I am not sure if you mentioned this, what is your current weight? With your excess fluid what does your weight fluctuate between?