I need your help! - Meal plans

Options
So, right now i am in self destruct mode and i want to pull myself out now! I don't want to undo my weight loss so tomorrow is d-day.
I have not been one to make weekly meal plans, i guess i just go with the flow, but i'm thinking i need to start. so i'm after some meal plan inspiration if you could help?

Replies

• whodatgrl
    whodatgrl Posts: 111
    Options
    BUMP
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    Bbq chicken?
    Soups?
    Baked salmon?
    london broil with squash and potatoes? (its what I had last night)
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you looking at? Any restrictions?

Also, eatingwell.com has some meal plan ideas that may be useful: http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/weight_loss_diet_plans
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am hardly one to plan my meals....but I have some tricks. Take tonight, I had thawed a big package of chicken (about 7 breats) I am cooking ALL of it. So during the week I may take some and make a quick meal out of it, cut it up and make a chicken salad lunch or dinner. There are sooo many ways to change up chicken, so you don't get bored with it.

Quick idea, thought it might be helpful
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Here is my plan for next week (we don't eat meat) -

Monday - Lentil Tacos in corn tortillas with salsa and lettuce
    Tuesday - Italian okra over quinoa
    Wednesday - Mango/black bean/pepper quesidillas
    Thursday - Sweet and sour tofu
    Friday - Fake tuna salad with chickpeas
    Saturday - Tempeh sloppy joes
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    How many calories are you looking at? Any restrictions?

Also, eatingwell.com has some meal plan ideas that may be useful: http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/weight_loss_diet_plans

I'm allowed 1350 cals and no restrictions.

Thanks for the link i'll take a look!
  • Sweetlux
    Sweetlux Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I write down a list of all the meals and snacks I like and that are healthy. Then I pick a weeks worth of meals/snacks from that list. THEN I write a grocery list of all the things I need at the store, I try to make sure I use items for several different meals. I keep the list of meals for the week on my fridge so I know what's on the menu. I also make sure I always have easy items so if I'm running late I can grab what I need really quickly before I run out the door! :) Hope this helps...I am a crazy list lady!
  • ejhayes
    ejhayes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, so when I go to the grocery store I get as much fresh produce as I can and then I complete it with meat, fish, chicken and so on. If you have the food at home, good foods, like whole grains, proteins, and so on; there is no way you will mess up. I don't buy any junk food, and I don't drink soda. Planning is a matter of having the stuff in hand, so plan for a few days and you will be fine. Good luck
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    What I like to do is have basic go to meals for breakfast, lunch, and snacks. For dinner I prep tons of food on Sunday and mix and match foods all week long. It takes a couple tries to know what to prep and how much but it saves time during the week and keeps me from grabbing takeout.
  • Stim100986
    Options
    Have you ever used Allrecipes.com?

I typically find that looking at tasty recipies puts me in the right frame of mind. The calroies are just below the directions, so you can really put together a good full day's menu all at once.

Not sure what you like/don't like, but I find turkey versions of meats tend to have a similar flavor without much difference in taste (turkey bacon isn't quite so bad).

Think about it.. you're less than 2 kilos from a milestone!
  • anton73
    anton73 Posts: 6
    Options
    you need to plan every day

For me, I keep breakfast simple. I have a box of Special K cereal at my desk and I keep a qt of non-fat milk in the fridge.

Lunch, I either brink a can of tuna with a tablespoon of relish or a whole grain lean pocket or dinner leftovers

Dinner, I usually grill up a package of thin cut boneless chicken breasts on Monday, eat 2 that night and then have a few leftovers for lunch or another dinner. For sides, sweet potatoes or baked beans and some veggies, Once a week I'll do pasta with some turkey meatballs and I do splurge every Friday to have pizza with the family but I usually get thin crust.

Hope any of that helps.
  • thepinas
    thepinas Posts: 38
    Options
    Two of my favorites are Chicken & rice w/ brown Gravy, and Chicken Pita's.

Chicken & White Rice w/ Brown Gravy
    I have about 1 1/2 cups of Success Minute rice
    Throw about 6 oz of chopped chicken breast in a small saucepan, add a little seasoning salt & some water, cover and let cook in the water, take lid off after a few minutes and let water evaporate and brown the chicken a little. Pour over white rice. Make 1/2 cup of McCormich Brown Gravy and mix with chicken & rice and voila!!! Only 505 Calories, and VERY filling!!

Chicken Pita
    1 Whole Wheat Pita Bread (Kroger)
    Stuff it with 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, and 6 oz of cooked chicken breast (cooked same way as above, except this time you add about 1/2 cup chopped onions along with the water). Only 472 Calories!! and very YUMMY!!

Good Luck!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Oh yes I have great fun with meal planing!

I have about 3 or 4 breakfast usuals that I choose from.

Lunch is culled from the leftovers I keep in the freezer in single portion bags.

This week's plan for dinner:

Mon: Poached chicken, sweet potato mash, shredded cabbage
    Tues: Lamb steaks mushroom quinoa pilaff
    Wed: Poached chicken, crushed baby potatoes, puy lentil salad, brocoli and cauliflower steamed
    Thurs: Fish fingers, sweet potato cakes made from leftovers with chorizo and green onion, baked beans
    Fri: Tofu stirfry with loads of peppers
    Sat: Tuna steak with ratatouille
    Sun: Salmon with salad
  • stepbystep6
    stepbystep6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Armed with a pad of paper (which has the 7 days of the week listed down the side), a Grocery list pad and 2 recipe books/folder it takes me between 30-60min to plan my meals. I like to make meal plans for a week - generally just lunches and dinners since my breakfasts are generally the same. I have a sense of whether my week is super busy or not and I plan meals that are super quick, or not, depending on the week. Thinking of meals is the hardest part, so I have a recipe folder where I keep recipes that I have clipped from magazines, recipes I have heard rave reviews here on MFP, etc - so that, and my couple of randomly chosen recipe books from my collection, becomes my source of inspiration. As I add the menu item (listing the recipe page number beside the meal) I write down all the items I will need to buy to make those things on my grocery list. So when my menu is complete - so is my shopping list.

I can't say enough about the benefits of meal planning. I love not having to think of what to make each day. I love that I have all the ingredients on hand that I need to make various meals. Although my menu sheet has the days of the week - really I just pick and choose that day what I feel like having from the list of 7 possibilities. Crossing off which ever ones I have used as we go along the week. The biggest benefit for me is that I can be assured that there is a great meal that is coming very soon and there is no need to overeat at this meal. Menu planning takes some time - but it simplifies my shopping and whole week!

Give it a month! Menu planning might become a valuble tool in your journey to better health. It is for me!
  • weeze_h
    weeze_h Posts: 72
    Options
    I usually start by planning my main meals for the week and go grocery shopping for everything that i need. All my main meals are between 400-800 cals, so then on the days where I'm having a low cal main meal I'll have a bigger lunch (like pasta or a baked potato) and on the days I'm having a bigger main meal I'll stick with salad or sandwiches or soup for lunch. All my breakfasts are around 200cals

I also go to the gym every 2 days (and i eat my exercise cals back) so I'll factor in that as well and on the gym days, I try to make sure I'm having protein in my main meals (like chicken or fish) as opposed to a veggie meal.

I think once you find your favourite meals and get to know how many calories roughly are in it, it makes it a bit easier to plan out.

Good Luck!