This is what worries me about maintainance...

Options
On Saturday I posted about how I had finally met my target of 12 stone, by cutting to 1660kcal p/d and not eating back exercise calories. I'm now starting the road towards maintainance and plan to gradullay increase my intake. Sunday morning I was bang on 12 stone, I consumed 1800kcal (+140 on old target) but also went running and burnt 400kcal. Today I get weighed and I'm 12 stone, 3 and a half lbs! How is that even possible?! Being at that 12 barrier was a big deal for me, and this is what worries me going into maintainance as that's quite a jump! I just don't get it, I didn't even eat enough to put that on! Any advice?

Replies

• jbean1990
    jbean1990 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Only thing I'll add - I have exercised quite heavily (running) Friday (1100kc/13km), Saturday (700kcal/6.9km) and Sunday (600kcal/7.6km). Would this effect it?
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching your goal! I would say you might want to set a minimum & maximum weight range for maintenance to allow for normal fluctuations like this. Also, maybe weigh yourself less often (once or twice per week) if fluctuations stress you out. I give myself a 2-3 kg weight range to work with & know that different times of the month, exercise habits, types of food/drink will impact my weight and I am OK with that. If I see a consistent creep over 2 weeks & clothes feel slightly snug I know it is likely to be fat, and I need to eat less/move more!

• SundropEclipse
    SundropEclipse Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    jbean1990 wrote: »
    On Saturday I posted about how I had finally met my target of 12 stone, by cutting to 1660kcal p/d and not eating back exercise calories. I'm now starting the road towards maintainance and plan to gradullay increase my intake. Sunday morning I was bang on 12 stone, I consumed 1800kcal (+140 on old target) but also went running and burnt 400kcal. Today I get weighed and I'm 12 stone, 3 and a half lbs! How is that even possible?! Being at that 12 barrier was a big deal for me, and this is what worries me going into maintainance as that's quite a jump! I just don't get it, I didn't even eat enough to put that on! Any advice?

It sounds like it could be either water weight or constipation (maybe even both). I regained three pounds over the weekend despite running a massive weekly deficit. Got up this morning and lost the 3 lbs just going to the bathroom. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water and keeping your sodium intake limited to reduce water retention, and gmake sure you're getting fiber and fats to prevent or limit constipation.

Also, as mentioned above weight will fluctuate day to day and even hour to hour. Don't let it get to you. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Only thing I'll add - I have exercised quite heavily (running) Friday (1100kc/13km), Saturday (700kcal/6.9km) and Sunday (600kcal/7.6km). Would this effect it?

A lot of things affect it...exercise causes water retention which is a good thing because that's how your body repairs itself. Your body is also comprised of 50-65% water and that's going to fluctuate day to day...you will have varying levels of inherent waste in your system...more sodium will affect water retention and release...more carbs than normal will replenish any glycogen that has been depleted, etc...

Body weight isn't static...your maintenance weight will be a range...a few pounds is well within the realm of normal weight fluctuations. The number on the scale isn't all fat...it's a lot of things.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    water weight - my weight can be anywhere from 146 to 151lbs in a given week - but when averaged out is relatively stable (I think it has varied like .5lb over the last month)

pick a range that you are comfortable with - I'd say probably 12stone +/-4lbs
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is about range, not an exact number. The human body fluctuates daily as far as exact weight. Maintenance is much easier when you set an acceptable weight range and monitor that. Congrats on reaching your goal, though!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    When I run, I tend to retain water afterwards. Certain foods will make me retain water, even if they don't have high sodium. I've learned to restrict my weighing to days that follow rest days and that aren't after a restaurant meal or high fiber meal. That means I only weigh myself about every 7 - 14 days. Alternately, weigh yourself every day and only worry if your weight stays above your acceptable maximum for more than a few days.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You're going to drive yourself insane if you don't give yourself a maintenance range instead of fixating on a specific number.
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a trending weight app (Libra or Happy Scale for example) and try entering your weight daily for a couple of weeks - it'll be eye-opening - you'll get to see your daily fluctuations in weight, realise that it's never completely stable, and get to know what affects your weight up and down on a day-to-day basis. I always fluctuate up by a few lbs on a Monday after the excesses of the weekend, but by Friday I'm back down to usual again. Don't panic!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

aren't you absolutely starving running those distances on gross 1600 cals?

i am smaller than you and struggle running long distances on net 1600 cals....

and weight fluctuates... set a maintenance range not one single number.
  • jbean1990
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice! I've kind of accepted that anything beteeen 11 stone 8 and 12 stone 6 is a good range. Would that sound right?

How many calories should I be looking at to maintain? Bearing in mind I just don't like eating back exercise calories so I'll leave them as I have been doing! 1600 has been manageable for the last 6 motnsh but obviously isn't long term. It just pretrifys me and I get a little obsessed that after all this hard work it'll go to waste!
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    you should eat back exercise calories if you are using MFP recommendations; or if you have a fairly routine workout schedule - then something like a TDEE calculator would work (notionally between the 2 you should get a solid idea of what your maintenance should be)

start at 1660 and add about 100, keep it at that level for a week or so and weigh yourself...if you are still losing, add more calories - continue this routine until you are weight tsable - an app like libra or happyscale can help you with this
  • jbean1990
    Options
    When I run, I tend to retain water afterwards. Certain foods will make me retain water, even if they don't have high sodium. I've learned to restrict my weighing to days that follow rest days and that aren't after a restaurant meal or high fiber meal. That means I only weigh myself about every 7 - 14 days. Alternately, weigh yourself every day and only worry if your weight stays above your acceptable maximum for more than a few days.

So if it's above one day it doesn't necessarily mean you've put weight on?
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    nope - because weight fluctuates - over the last week, my weights have been 147, 148, 147, 149 - I haven't gained weight, its just a natural fluctuation
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Weight fluctuates. Whether you are trying to lose, maintain or even gain: your weight fluctuates. You do not have a single, solitary weight. It will vary from day to day and during the day. Rather than trying to set a 'goal weight' perhaps envision a goal range of about 5 pounds. Otherwise you'll always be chasing a unicorn that lives behind a rainbow.

Since eating at a deficit results in weight loss, and you've been eating at a deficit: logic would dictate that eating more (than you have been) is what it will take to maintain. Trial and error will help you figure that out. About how quickly, on average have you been losing? If 1 pound per week, you'll probably need to increase by about 500 per day. If going up that much at once freaks you out, try 200-300 more for a few weeks then adjust again.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice! I've kind of accepted that anything beteeen 11 stone 8 and 12 stone 6 is a good range. Would that sound right?

How many calories should I be looking at to maintain? Bearing in mind I just don't like eating back exercise calories so I'll leave them as I have been doing! 1600 has been manageable for the last 6 motnsh but obviously isn't long term. It just pretrifys me and I get a little obsessed that after all this hard work it'll go to waste!

If you don't want to eat back exercise cals, head over to scooby.com and figure out your tdee.

As it stands gross 1600 cals is massively undereating.

You might want to also consider speaking to a professional if eating more worries you so much.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine that you reached your goal without ever realizing that a person's weight (water) fluctuates considerably. Most people have to learn that "weight loss is not linear" somewhere in the process. If your journey involved measurable weight loss every single day, I'm inclined to think you were eating at an overly aggressive deficit. Relax, keep increasing your calories slowly, and only be concerned with trends, not day-to-day numbers. :)
  • jbean1990
    Options
    I've lost about 46lbs since March. I wasn't massively overweight but was unhappy with how clothes fit etc, and the idea that if I go up I'll stop fitting into 32 inch trousers freaks me about because of all the hard work to get there. It's the summer break for 6 weeks now so I'm aiming to run 6 days a week, at least 7KM a day, possibly 10 on some and want to move up the rankings at the running club, so I'm sure that would counteract any bad choices or mistakes?