Where does the Fat go?

Options
Mads7878
Mads7878 Posts: 33 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
https://youtu.be/vullsN32WaE
"The mathematics of weight loss" Ruben Meerman edited version youtube if this vid does not work

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Seems like a question rather than a debate.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Like anything else used for fuel that's burned up, it breaks down to mostly as water and carbon dioxide.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You breathe it out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Expire (breath), perspire (sweat), excrete (urine, feces). Did I miss anything?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You breathe it out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I was just gonna say if I Remember correctly you breath it out...now I see lots saw the same ted talk. (I think it was ted talk)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I must say, I'm really glad we don't have any armchair physicists telling us that it's converted into energy, ya know like E=mc^2?

(For reference, if we actually had to convert all of our fat mass to energy, 1 pound would take almost 50,000,000,000,000 kcal.)
  • Mads7878
    Mads7878 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Im glad everyone found this topic interesting!!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I must say, I'm really glad we don't have any armchair physicists telling us that it's converted into energy, ya know like E=mc^2?

(For reference, if we actually had to convert all of our fat mass to energy, 1 pound would take almost 50,000,000,000,000 kcal.)

On the plus side, if the inverse were also true, that would make it nearly impossible to ever become obese to begin with. ;)
  • wimdroid
    wimdroid Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Anyone remember the thread where the poster said she could see streaks of fat in her urine and that's how she knew she was losing fat?

I would run to the doctor if that would happen, fast !

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Davy Jones' locker
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

What the hell does quantum mechanics/relativity have to do with the law of conservation of energy as it relates to human biology? In a human body, this still applies.
  • Jruzer
    Options

What the hell does quantum mechanics/relativity have to do with the law of conservation of energy as it relates to human biology? In a human body, this still applies.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question. And where was quantum mechanics discussed?

The question "Where does the weight go?" is sometimes asked on this forum. And often some well-meaning but misinformed soul trots out the simple form of Poynting's equation, "E=mc^2", and claims that the mass is converted to energy. This person is mistaken, as the energy that is consumed by the body is the chemical energy in the bonds of the molecules. (There is some tiny mass change associated with this energy, but it's infinitesimal.) The human body is not a nuclear reactor.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question. And where was quantum mechanics discussed?

The question "Where does the weight go?" is sometimes asked on this forum. And often some well-meaning but misinformed soul trots out the simple form of Poynting's equation, "E=mc^2", and claims that the mass is converted to energy. This person is mistaken, as the energy that is consumed by the body is the chemical energy in the bonds of the molecules. (There is some tiny mass change associated with this energy, but it's infinitesimal.) The human body is not a nuclear reactor.

I've never seen that.
  • Jruzer
    Options

I've never seen that.

Here are a few examples. It doesn't get posted with mind-numbing regularity, like discussions about aspartame or starvation mode, but it does fall squarely within my realm of expertise so I suppose I notice it when it does happen:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/21427935#Comment_21427935
    (3rd post)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1278328/where-does-weight-go/p2
    (9th post)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/749313/fact-or-fiction-starvation-mode/p1
    (9th post)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/10654446
    (10th post)

• klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Excess calories ingested into the body are converted into new chemical compounds called triglycerides. Remember the law of the conservation of mass/energy from basic biochemistry. This is stored in adipose tissue (fat) on the body in the form of lipids. When you are losing weight, your body is then metabolizing these triglycerides to be used as energy due to a caloric deficit. The resultant energy from this chemical reaction is expelled from the body as carbon dioxide. So in truth your lungs are actually the primary biological mechanism for weight loss, which tends to throw some people for a loop.

I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but there have been numerous scientists and universities who have actually calculated the ratios of expelled CO^2 per pound of fat loss in the past. I am sure you could find it on PubMed if you are really curious. Some guy I went to grad school with was doing research on something quite similar.

So our weight loss is contributing to global warming in the form of excess greenhouse gas?