Low carber stuck in a plataeo...

Options
Hello everyone! I'm new here. I've been on my weight loss journey since March. I've lost 42 pounds doing low carb dieting and exercising. I'm starting Week 2 of T25 Beta round today. I love that program! But I'm struggling with the scale and measurements of my progress. I haven't lost any more weight in several weeks. I was hoping starting the Beta round of T25 would help jump start everything since it is more intense than the previous round. I measure myself once a week and am also not seeing any loss there. I stick to 15-20 net carbs per day with a goal of 1500 calories. What am I doing wrong? Should I lower my calories? I will absolutely stick with it, but it's definitely disappointing to not see the scale or the measuring tape move... Thank you for reading and for any advice!

Replies

• V4kerker
    V4kerker Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You could be building some muscle these last few weeks.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Have patience.

A new workout routine is likely resulting in water weight, as your muscles need extra water to repair/heal/adjust to the new routine. If you are certain you are eating at a deficit, just keep going.

*It never hurts to assess your accuracy of logging however.*
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Do you track calories or just eat low carb?

(Many of the low carb people I know don't track. It is possible to overeat low carb foods, of course.)
  • sibeluver03
    sibeluver03 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I do track calories in addition to carbs.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking the calories? A scale? measuring spoons/cups eyeballing? I tried low carb high fat for a week as an n=1 experiment in satiety and what I noticed from keto groups was many (not all) were eyeballing red meat portions and other calorie dense foods like nuts and oils etc. IMO when most of your calories come from calorie dense foods accuracy is not optional... I'd be able to write down 1500 and probably eat over 2K which would effectively reduce your deficit to maintenance. As others have mentioned give it some time also but if you're not measuring everything that crosses your lips on a food scale my bet is you're eating more than you think you are.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing this for weight loss but I see this issue all the time in the keto community. The advice is always, "Keep calm and keto on." They say KCKO for short, it's that common for people to hit a plateau and just wait it out.

But I would also tend to think @StaciMarie1974 is right. You could be retaining water for the interstitial fluid your body needs to repair the tissue you're breaking down in your workout.
  • sibeluver03
    Options
    I'd say I'm honestly about 90% accurate in measuring everything. Meat, salad, amounts of cheese... I use cups and a food scale that does ounces and grams. I say only 90% because I'm definitely not perfect. Maybe that's where I'm faltering...
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    I'd say I'm honestly about 90% accurate in measuring everything. Meat, salad, amounts of cheese... I use cups and a food scale that does ounces and grams. I say only 90% because I'm definitely not perfect. Maybe that's where I'm faltering...

That's the first place I'd tighten up before making any other changes personally. You're working hard and putting in the effort anyway, this is a good way to ensure the results you want and deserve after doing it!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    Problem with being "off" when measuring and doing keto, is that fat is so calorie dense it would be really easy to under-guess by several hundred calories thus negating a deficit.
  • sibeluver03
    Options
    I've asked on a low carb group and got mixed answers. What is the best way to measure meat? Raw or cooked?

I've always thought raw, but many low carb folks say cooked because of all the liquids lost in the cooking process are not being consumed, so why count it.

Which way is the most accurate?
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    I've asked on a low carb group and got mixed answers. What is the best way to measure meat? Raw or cooked?

I've always thought raw, but many low carb folks say cooked because of all the liquids lost in the cooking process are not being consumed, so why count it.

Which way is the most accurate?

always raw imo. You can cook a steak rare or well done and the water content will vary significantly. Best way to avoid inconsistency is to weigh raw.