Carbs or no carbs

Options
I am struggling with my carb vs fat intake. I's like to eat lower carbs and night fat because that's worked for my sister but have no idea how many carbs and how much fat I should eat. Any advice out there for a novice?
Thanks so much

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Just know that you can lose weight no matter what you eat. As long as you stay under your calories. Start logging your food and give this place a try.
  • jacquelineweisz
    jacquelineweisz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Jordon. I am logging calories but am not eating all of them. How do I know how many calories I should be eating?
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Jordon. I am logging calories but am not eating all of them. How do I know how many calories I should be eating?

This makes no sense. You're supposed to log all of the calories you eat. Can you clarify this statement?
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Are you pre-logging? Don't do that. Things always change from day to day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you plug in your stats and get a calorie goal from MFP you will get suggested portions for fats, carbs, and protein.

• jacquelineweisz
    Options
    Hey everyone, to clarify au log everything but always have calories left to eat at the end of the day. My struggle is I have calories left over but have reached my fat and carbs goal (which I have set myself) and I am hungry
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hey everyone, to clarify au log everything but always have calories left to eat at the end of the day. My struggle is I have calories left over but have reached my fat and carbs goal (which I have set myself) and I am hungry

If you have calories left and are hungry, you should eat them! That's what they're there for. Try finding a snack that's mostly protein (Dannon light & fit greek has 80 calories, 12 g protein, very little sugar and no fat. Lots of neat flavors, too) , but it's not that big of a deal. Going off your macros won't hurt weight loss. You can try to do better at meeting them the next day, but they don't have to be spot-on, and you shouldn't be going hungry because of macros.
  • jacquelineweisz
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thanks so much Paulawalladingdong
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Are you pre-logging? Don't do that. Things always change from day to day.

Makes no sense. I pre-log and if it changes it changes, but at least I have a plan that day. Besides my breakfast and lunch are pretty standard and I only have to djust the quantity slightly
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    What did you set your calorie and macro goals at? What is your current weight? Age? Height?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If it 'worked for your sister', try eating more fat and less carbs and see if it 'works for you'.
    If it does, keep doing at that ratio, or try tweaking it.
    As this is more psychological* rather than physiological for the most part, others can't offer a specific percentage that means much to you.
    Everyone has different ways to get the right CICO balance, which is what it boils down to as far as losing weight goes.
  • jacquelineweisz
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm 43, 5'10 and weigh 100
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You can use this calculator to find the macro distribution you need to achieve what is called dietary ketosis. In dietary ketosis, your body is getting its energy from fat. That doesn't mean that you are burning through your own fat stores, the fat could be from an avocado you just ate.

The thing with being in dietary ketosis is that it feels very different to a great many people than it feels when you're running on carbs. For some, this translates to having a much easier time eating less food but many of us see all sorts of other benefits as well. I'm on this diet and I'm not particularly interested in losing weight.

You can take the information from the calculator and play with it. You can do fewer carbs or more if you want. You could go down to 20g of carbs or go up to 150g of carbs (I think that's still considered low carb but maybe somebody else can help if I'm wrong).

You probably want to keep your protein right at what the calculator give you.

As far as the fat intake goes, you don't need to eat all of that. On an LCHF diet, if you are trying to lose weight, you are only supposed to eat however much fat it takes you to feel full. Your body can get the fat it needs from your own fat stores.

TL;DR use the calculator to get the macros for dietary ketosis and then adjust those numbers to fit what you think you'd feel comfortable eating.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    edited July 2017
    Options
    deleted
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm 43, 5'10 and weigh 100

You are 5' 10" and 100lbs? If that is lbs, you are underweight and shouldn't be trying to lose weight!!
  • jacquelineweisz
    Options
    100kilos definitely overweight