Protein for women?

Options
I've been working out 5days a week now for over a year, and I'm beginning to really shape my body. I'm looking to tone up more of my muscles, specifically my legs and butt. Should I add protein shakes to my workouts? Before or after? How much is good and what kind? I work out at home so I don't really know anyone to ask.

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    For a work out I would drink a bit of coffee for the caffeine before. After I would have something with protein such as a glass of milk with a bit of chocolate syrup or a protein shake.
    You don't have to by protein for women. Stores like Target and walmart sell protein we can all drink. First, try a protein bar of the brand you intend to buy. I started with Pure Protein, then moved on to Gold Standard protein powder. I make them with skim milk in a tiny mixer.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    All protein is protein for women. You only need to add protein shakes if you aren't able to get adequate protein through regular food. Timing is irrelevant.
  • krissymariechat
    krissymariechat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake after I work out. Since ur body craves protein after a workout. If ur protein in take isn't a lot I would. I am take BCAA's to help repair my muscles.

I think it all just depends on the individual.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake after I work out. Since ur body craves protein after a workout. If ur protein in take isn't a lot I would. I am take BCAA's to help repair my muscles.

I think it all just depends on the individual.

BCAA's are only helpful on a very low protein diet. Studies have shown that as long as protein is adequate the BCAA's don't do anything.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes can be a great way to supplement your diet, just get a good quality one without crazy additives that you like the taste of. Drink it after a work out to aid muscle repair. Quote from above: all protein is protein for women.
  • crisseldac13
    crisseldac13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the good info, I appreciate it!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You only need to supplement if you aren't hitting a sensible protein goal - if you give your stats and your current goal in grams you will get a thousand and one opinions on whether that's a suitable goal.....

Protein shakes aren't magic and they don't have to be pink for women either! ;)