newbie question, please help.

Options
Hi everyone, this is my first post and i would like some advice. I weigh 245 (heaviest ever) and I burn ( recently started this plan) about 1200 to 1500 calories a day exercising, my given mfp calorie eating goal is 1620 but I wanted to stay close to 1200 cals/ day. Im always hungry so my plan for 1200 calories is not working. Any ideas on how many calories I should eat per day. Sorry for the repetition, no one else's questions "fits" my needs. Thanks for helping.

Thanks BeeBee

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    You need 1200 calories a day to pretty much maintain basic metabolism. If you are burning another 1200 calories a day with exercise, then eating just 1200 (or even 1600) a day isn't going to be enough. I would suggest eating back at least half of your exercise calories (if you feel satisfied with fewer, that could be an okay place to start).

Also look into a multivitamin. They make some specifically for active people (who exercise a lot). When your body is getting enough nutrients, it's less likely to crave unnecessary calories.
  • ryan92408
    ryan92408 Posts: 11
    Options
    Eat your 1620 calories and continue to exercise. Make sure the food you choose is clean and drink a ton of water, you'll be fine. Don't stay at 1200 with exercise, it's not sustainable long term - which is what we all need to focus on. Good Luck!
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    It is really hard at the beginning with 1200 calories, but you have to drink lots of water and most of your meals got to have lots of vegetables and fruits, because they don't have to many calories, so that would keep you full.
    Water was the key for me to keep me full all the time :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mathmaven
    mathmaven Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi BeeBee!

In order to keep under my calorie goalWhat has worked for me is to fill myself with low calorie foods. Make a big pot of cabbage soup (or some other low cal soup) and eat a big bowl before lunch and before dinner.

I use a recipe like this one:
    http://caloriecount.about.com/cabbage-soup-diet-recipe-r11515
    I add a bit of spice, since I like things spicy. This gives it flavor without calories.

If I get hungry watching TV after dinner, I eat another bowl.

If you are burning 1200 calories a day, you should at the minimum eat 1800-2000 calories. You don't want your metabolism to slow down.
  • ejhayes
    ejhayes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The kind of calories you eat have a great impact on your weight loss goals, so it would be nice to see what you are eating. Clean eating is crucial, processed foods are not the best.
  • buttahbaby
    buttahbaby Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much this helps. I have the summers off (I work in education) so I am able to work out in the AM and PM, water intake is could but could be better. when you spend so much time eating incorrectly and in large portions, one would think eating very little is the answer but you all have helped change my thinking so much.

I have been doing more math with the BMR calculations than I thought possible. This site is awesome. and I cant wait to post my before and after pics. Thanks again.

Oh yeah, how can i add my SW, GW and CW figures to my profile like the cool kids have up??? :flowerforyou: