What is your ideal calorie deficit?

Options
2»

Replies

• mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 36/f/5'5/175lbs/with a baseball team of preteen/teens. I have a fit bit Alta and used to use a charge. If I eat the nearly 3000calories a day that fit bit gives me I gain weight. (I average 22000 steps daily) I have to cut my fitbit adjustment in half. I usually get an adjustment of 1200calories daily so I quick add 600calories.(fit bit and MyFitnesspal are set at sedentary) And even doing that i'm still only loosing to the tune of 1.5-2lbs/month. (I'm down from 300lbs so I'm anxious to finally get to goal at this point!)
    If your a new fit bit user I suggest you read up on tips and tricks to use with them. Like wearing it on your non dominate hand (so it's less sensitive) but telling fit bit it's on your dominant hand.

I target 1700-1800 net calories daily for a 0.5lb/week. I run, so I'm starving with anything less than that. You've (and I) already tried the eating more to loose more without success, so the answer is eat less. Good luck to you :) My last 25lbs is proving WAY, WAY harder than first 125lbs!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    My last 25lbs is proving WAY, WAY harder than first 125lbs!

This is really the bottom line. That's why dialing in your food logging and getting close on the exercise is so important. The last 20 pounds took me nine months to lose, when the first 50 took less than eight months all together. It's just difficult to maintain a deficit due to hunger issues, plus it's so easy to make mistakes on both the CI and CO side. That's why meticulous records are so important.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I'm 5'7 and 136lbs. So far I've lost 30lbs at 200-250cal deficit. I'll lose the rest at this deficit or smaller.

This is me too, except I'm 142. -250 leaves a very small margin of error, but if you track properly, it's far better than trying to live on a 1000 deficit. Just requires consistency.
  • paulwatts747
    paulwatts747 Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Alta HR. Although it is acceptably accurate (even a tad low perhaps which if trying to run a calorie deficit is not such a bad thing) in calculating calories when outdoor cycling, it wildly overstates walking calories. Well over 10 calories/minute which is just silly. Talking to Fitbit about it they are in denial that there is any anomaly. One thing they did tell me is that when using a Fitbit to estimate calorie burns the estimate given includes your Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR) for the time involved, so you need to subtract this if entering the burn figure into MFP or it'll be counted twice.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I eat at a 2k calorie deficit until I hit my goal weight. I am tall, so even at a healthy weight, my TDEE is over 2500.